• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

We Shoulda Lit Up Darvish

What?

Pujols was a huge boost to ticket sales.  Everyone knows and cares. 

Are you saying that if a fan is less knowledgeable about their team then their support counts less?  So the nine year old that attends a game in Socal counts less than a drunk bostonian?

Huh?  Attendance in Anaheim continued to plummet in 2012.

I'm not at all ranking superiority of fans here.  Maybe it would be best if we defined what makes a baseball town a baseball town.  There are many different ways to look at it. 

Good point except the Angels had very good attendance even before the World Series win. The fact that the attendance levels have remained high has much more to do with the team being continuously competitive since the WS win. 

2001 attendance = 2,001,319

2002 attendance = 2,305,565

2003 attendance = 3,061,094

2004 attendance = 3,375,677

Peaked in 2006 to about 3.4 mil and declining since.  Last year was the lowest since 2003 at 3,061,770.

Are you sure? Maybe it depends on what you consider a good clip. Other than the World Series run in '02, I don't remember a 2M season going back quite a ways pre-Arte.

yes

2001 2,000,919

2000 2,066,982

1999 2,253,123

1998 2,519,280

Prior to that just under 2m for a few years

prior to that 

2001 attendance = 2,001,319

2002 attendance = 2,305,565

2003 attendance = 3,061,094

2004 attendance = 3,375,677

Peaked in 2006 to about 3.4 mil and declining since.  Last year was the lowest since 2003 at 3,061,770.

yes I know, what's your point. They sold more tickets after the WS win and have continued to sell more due to fielding a winning team for most of that time. 

Huh?  Attendance in Anaheim continued to plummet in 2012.

I'm not at all ranking superiority of fans here.  Maybe it would be best if we defined what makes a baseball town a baseball town.  There are many different ways to look at it. 

you are claiming Arte's ability to market as a reason why people go to games yet you are saying that being a baseball town has nothing to do with ranking fan superiority?  Fan support of a team is measured in attendance.  But if a fan base supports it's team it may not be because it truly cares about the team? 

That is a stretch if I have ever heard one and your statements are conflicting. 

Darvish is really good so not capitalizing on all those chances we had was really frustrating. We're like 5-45 with RISP so far this year.

I know. Its super-frustrating and 5-45 is no exaggeration. If not for the HRs, we'd probably be 0-5.

I can't wait to see this offense once the hits with RISP start coming; The Angels will be a juggernaut.

yes

2001 2,000,919

2000 2,066,982

1999 2,253,123

1998 2,519,280

Prior to that just under 2m for a few years

prior to that 

That surprises me. I would have figured 1.5-1.7 through the 90's to 2001. Too bad there isn't a record of actual attendance available to compare.

you are claiming Arte's ability to market as a reason why people go to games yet you are saying that being a baseball town has nothing to do with ranking fan superiority?  Fan support of a team is measured in attendance.  But if a fan base supports it's team it may not be because it truly cares about the team? 

That is a stretch if I have ever heard one and your statements are conflicting. 

I never said anything about fan superiority. 

Using attendance to determine fan support has its flaws.  It's sort of like saying a university is good because it's enrollment has been high.  I get the impression Moreno does real well attracting couples or families who attend one or two games a year, and aren't overly concerned about the outcome of the game, or even know a whole lot about baseball. 

Anaheim seems to draw more of the latter type compared to other ballparks I've visited, which is fine.  This is my basis for saying Anaheim is less of a baseball town. 

I never said anything about fan superiority.

Using attendance to determine fan support has its flaws. It's sort of like saying a university is good because it's enrollment has been high. I get the impression Moreno does real well attracting couples or families who attend one or two games a year, and aren't overly concerned about the outcome of the game, or even know a whole lot about baseball.

Anaheim seems to draw more of the latter type compared to other ballparks I've visited, which is fine. This is my basis for saying Anaheim is less of a baseball town.

Wrong again. The Angels have over 32,000 season ticket holders this year and have been averaging around 30k last 10 years. rangers have just over 25,000 season ticket holders despite having a ballpark that holds close to 5k more people AND coming off back to back World Series appearances. Season tickets are expensive and no way in hell your casual fan buys one, yet the Angels have over 7k more season ticket holders in a ballpark that holds less people. Tell us again who the real fans are genius.

Just to simplify the somewhat biased and rattling discussion:  Darvish won't be 'lit up' by anybody.  Era is the second worst means of evaluating a pitcher, only behind W-L record.  Anaheim has plenty of attractions and is a pretty great place, but no football.  And in Texas, high school football is the #1 sport, the Cowboy mantra is a hangover from years past when they were a national attraction alias 'America's Team'.  No longer the case, but there is a hangover.  And there is plenty to do in North Texas, including year round cultural attractions - just no sand or beach stuff and very little groupthink.  Oh yeah, the midsummers here can be just a bit warmer than roasting in hell.  

That is all..   

"Darvish won't be 'lit up' by anybody"  

Forgetting any semantics defining "lit up",  Darvish had a few poor games last year, one being the Angels 7 runs in 5 innings last year.  Pitchers aren't 100% all year and when they're not a hot offense will stomp on them.

I wish the Angels would move to Texas and the Rangers go somewhere else. 

That way I could afford to attend a LOT more games.  Much cheaper cost of living, no state income tax, etc, etc.

only good thing about the State of California money-wise is non compete clauses are non-enforceable there under state law, so you can actually still get a job in your field if you get laid off. Texas, not so much. (I had some friends who used to live in AZ and TX move back to CA for this reason)

dude pitched the entire game with a gigantic blister on his hand and was half amazing, half terrible. that's how good he is.

"Darvish said following the game that the blister didn't bother him during the start and that he expects to take his next turn in the rotation Friday in Seattle."

http://espn.go.com/dallas/mlb/story/_/id/9145685/yu-darvish-texas-rangers-leaves-start-5-innings-blister

2.  You do realize that Moreno's background is in marketing and advertising, correct?  He has found ways to bring people to the ballpark who wouldn't otherwise attend baseball games. 

Since you're trying to pass yourself off as someone with some sort of insight others lack,.   Please detail the things he has done to bring people to the ballpark that wouldn't otherwise attend ballgames.

Also any comment on that tidbit in Baseball America a few months ago that stated there are almost more people who play in baseball leagues in CA, than the rest of the country combined?

No doubt, none of them are baseball fans.