• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Angels Skipped Out on Bartolo with Good Reason

laagamer

The Angels spent close to 400 million signing guys like Hamilton, Pujols, and Wilson in order to win the World Series. They traded away everything that was left in their farm system...and they are going to not try and fill a gaping hole by bringing in another arm because of the luxury tax...next year. nothing like going 95% in.

The Angels spent close to 400 million signing guys like Hamilton, Pujols, and Wilson in order to win the World Series. They traded away everything that was left in their farm system...and they are going to not try and fill a gaping hole by bringing in another arm because of the luxury tax...next year. nothing like going 95% in.

+1....kind of odd for Arte....avoiding the luxury tax doesn't fit his profile....

Getting Colon is risky but not as risky as other available options. It was only last season he was the Ace of the A's pitching staff.

I'm all for adding another veteran to the staff. I believe Colon is worth the gamble. High risk but potential big reward.

Dipoto is keeping a close eye on Colon ... just a matter of negotiating the right deal.

well written article. 

but it doesn't answer the key question - in terms of competing for the last few weeks and into the playoffs, what are the benefits of not getting colon and rolling w/ the current staff?

A staff of weaver santiago and shoemaker sounds incredibly suspect. 

if that staff cant get it done, we cant win.

adding even an ace to that list still means the other 2 have to perform.

and Wilson will be in the 3...   you can book that

Getting Colon is risky but not as risky as other available options. It was only last season he was the Ace of the A's pitching staff.

I'm all for adding another veteran to the staff. I believe Colon is worth the gamble. High risk but potential big reward.

Dipoto is keeping a close eye on Colon ... just a matter of negotiating the right deal.

I think Colon is scheduled to start Friday and we have the open slot Sat so you'd like to get a deal done before then if at all possible...if we're going to take on his salary for 2015, would like to get every start out of him this year that we can....that and he could help us win the division...

Garrett Richards time-table to be back June/ July - that seems to be a very reasonable time-table to me.  Wouldn't count on him any sooner and like all pitchers who have a DL injury -- no guarantees when he comes back -- it's not the arm -- but he can't throw for a least 4 months if not 6 and the old classic example of Dizzy Dean (some here can't remember this story or perhaps even who Dizzy Dean is/was).....but ol' Diz got hit by a line drive (I think it was in an All Star game) and hurt his knee, had surgery and when he came back it so messed up his normal delivery he was never the same pitcher again........

as for passing on Colon -- Arte not overly concerned about exceeding luxury tax payroll thresh-hold as past history shows -- but it is always a concern -- but exceeding the thresh-hold for Bartolo Colon, a guy that will cost the team close to $1 million for September, 2014 and then another $11 million at age 42 in 2015?  No thanks.

I know some here disagree with this.

It's Arte's money - I agree with him. 

It's not about going 95% in and stopping because of the $11 million for next year. They very well could have a plan to go after one of the big name pitchers next year and then there really is no place for him. So you'd be bringing on $11 million next year for 5 or 6 starts this year.

If the Angels trade for Colon and he does a good enough job for them, the Angels could trade him next season if they don't want him.  Some team would.  The Angels could pay 5 million of his salary next year and then the cost isn't too much.

The truth is the Angels need to attack for a WS this year. 

Next year may be too late:

Weaver continues to decline. 
Wilson is declining. 
Pujols continues to decline. 
Hamilton is a mess.
Could Shoemaker "come back to reality"?
Richards may miss 1-3 months of the season.

It's not about going 95% in and stopping because of the $11 million for next year. They very well could have a plan to go after one of the big name pitchers next year and then there really is no place for him. So you'd be bringing on $11 million next year for 5 or 6 starts this year.

How do you figure 5 or 6 starts ... ? What about next season ?

BTW I'm not gunho on Colon ... definitely someone you have to give a hard look at.

Ps the Angels have yet not locked down a playoff spot. Mariners are charging hard.

Edited by Troll Daddy

How do you figure 5 or 6 starts ... ? What about next season ?

BTW I'm not gunho on Colon ... definitely someone you have to give a hard look at.

Ps the Angels have yet not locked down a playoff spot. Mariners are charging hard.

Well in my post I threw out a scenario that says the Angels might want to add a front line starter in the off season, so here would be the rotation:

Free Agent Pitcher

Weaver

Wilson

Shoemaker

Santiago

Richards

Colon

As it is we would have a solid 5, then Richards, then Colon.

He can be traded, but how much salary do you have to pick up to make that happen. The one issue with the Angels is none of their contracts are all that valuable on the trade market. Howie and Aybar are about the only ones you can trade that make a decent amount of money, outside of Trout obviously.

I think if you're going to spend that much money it has to be for someone that can be good enough to make a start or two in the postseason for you. And actually I'd have to say I'd trust Colon in the postseason more than I would Santiago.

It would be the classic argument of Experience versus stuff. The only reason I would agree with you is if Colon shits the bed, Sanitago can come out of the pen, but I don't see that working the other way around.

Looking at the rotation spot in question, only 1 of the remaining 6 starts would be in a hitting friendly stadium (Tejas).

The rest would be in Anaheim (3 starts), Minnesota, and Seattle.

One other downside for Colon regarding pitching here, granted just 1 game:  he allowed 9 runs (4 HRs) in 5 innings on April 13. 

One has to wonder though, with his being currently in the D.R. for his mom's funeral tomorrow, would he channel that sadness into dedicating the rest of this season to her and reaching back to his 2011 success level for a 1-2 months stint?   Especially being in a post-season race?

He had 2 out of 3 QS's as a Skanks pitcher vs the A'ths in 2011, and is 1 for 1 in QS's this season vs the A'ths.    

Edited by Angel Oracle

Well in my post I threw out a scenario that says the Angels might want to add a front line starter in the off season, so here would be the rotation:

Free Agent Pitcher

Weaver

Wilson

Shoemaker

Santiago

Richards

Colon

As it is we would have a solid 5, then Richards, then Colon.

You can never have enough pitching. This year just proves that. It would be silly to go into next season with just 5 pitchers.

Looking at the rotation spot in question, only 1 of the remaining 6 starts would be in a hitting friendly stadium (Tejas).

The rest would be in Anaheim (3 starts), Minnesota, and Seattle.

One other downside for Colon regarding pitching here, granted just 1 game:  he allowed 9 runs (4 HRs) in 5 innings on April 13. 

One has to wonder though, with his being currently in the D.R. for his mom's funeral tomorrow, would he channel that sadness into dedicating the rest of this season to her and reaching back to his 2011 success level for a 1-2 months stint?   Especially being in a post-season race?

He had 2 out of 3 QS's as a Skanks pitcher vs the A'ths in 2011, and is 1 for 1 in QS's this season vs the A'ths.    

I heart that last sentence