• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

When did you become an Angels fan? Were you an Angels fan before, during or after the 2002 season?

Angels Fandom DOB: ?  

468 members have voted

1. 1. Were you an Angels fan before the 2002 World Championship Season?

• Yes, I was a fan before the 2002 season
    • No, I became a fan after the 2002 season
    • No, I became a fan during the 2002 season
  2. 2. When did you become an Angels fan?

Being from San Diego I was a Padres fan as a kid.  My cousin was a big fan of Ken Griffey Jr. in the early 90s, so my uncle took us to a 3 game set over the weekend, Angels against the Mariners.  I was rooting for the Angels just to bust my cousin's balls, but I caught Angels fever and have been die-hard ever since.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I live in canada so we only mostly get blue jays games. I live in winnipeg and when 2002 playoffs were on.. the atmosphete n criwd of angels got me hooked and then watchong angels glaus, salmon, anderson, david extiene etc.. hitting home runs after another I followed em whole world series n they became my mlb team... havent looked back since. Bought world series box set!

Lets Go Angels!

Born at Anaheim General Hospital in '69. My father was a Dodgers fan, so when I was younger I rooted for Dodgers in the NL and Angels in the AL. They didn't play each other back in those days, so wasn't that hard to like both teams..plus I was just a kid and didn't know any better about liking two different teams. I stopped rooting for the Dodgers when they let my favorite Dodgers player Garvey walk away in free agency after the '83 season. The Angels were then my main team and Padres were my NL team until Garvey retired. I have only rooted for the Angels since then. And I got to attend both Game 6 & 7 of the 2002 World Series. 

Spring, 1961. My family moved to LA from NY in1959. Dad was originally a Yankee fan until the Angels were formed (he hated the Dodgers for moving out of NY, so I learned to hate 'em too.) I was 10 years old when I sat with him that first season and watched games on TV from the Old Wrigley Field in LA (gone now). Ted Klu, Bob Cerv, Belinsky, what a gang. A die hard fan, I listened to Buddy Blatner, Don Wells, then later Enberg and Drysdale (they were amazing together) announce games on the radio, win or lose, through the 60's and 70's, they fielded lots of mediocre teams then. Still a die hard fan, its in my blood, can't seem to shake it no matter how bad things get- and as you know, they've been worse for this team in the past- but still fun.

Let me wade in here. Growing up in a dodger family, as a youth at first it was all about rebelling against the norm in the early 80s. Then somewhere along the lines of Fred Lynn and Doug D at the hot spot I got hooked.

Maybe it was Brian Downing, Wally World, the worthless signing of the Double Dave's, and on and on and on.

But I can't knock the fans who came in around 2002. I've already become that old bitter guy.

I live in Portland,Oregon. My grandparents lived in Buena Park in the 70's and we would visit every summer. Grandpa was a huge Angels fan and would take us to games. I must have been the only Angel's fan in Portland at that point. All my friends were pulling for the Giants in 2002. Some of them now root for the Angels. Not sure how I feel about it.

• 2 weeks later...

Grew up in azusa/la puente/baldwin park, surrounded by doggie fans. '82, at the age of 11, i distinctly remember being heart broken for the first time when we lost the series with the brewers after being up 2-0. Been a member of " baseball pergatory inc."since then.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello. My name is Bernard Wolfson. I am a writer for the Orange County Register and its recently launched sister paper, the Long Beach Register. I am writing a feature story for the LB Register about whether Long Beach is an Angels town or a Dodgers town. I would love to speak to any Angels fans who live in Long Beach. If you fit the bill, please e-mail me: bwolfson@ocregister.com. Thank you.

I know it was the 1st year because the Yanks and Angels were on the game of the week so often with the home run thing going on. I liked the Angels because of lil Albie Pearson and big Steve Bilko and crew. I still have the lineup in my head darn it. What a fun team to watch especially in that tiny ballpark. Not many little kids would wait for the afternoon paper to get the box scores from the West coast but I had to know. Back then I knew every players bio, left or right handed, hometown, age and history. Fun times actually. And yep, I was the one that even wore Halos caps thru High School, college and my military years. Not many commanding officers appreciated that, but they got over it. I suspect I could retire on my investments in the Angels.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My dad grew up a Dodger fan in the Koufax/Drysdale days, and he used to laugh at his old man who would stay up listening to the Angels on the radio.

My mom has been an Angel fan since god knows when. We still go to games with her old roommate of 30+ years ago who is a diehard Yankee fan that has a soft spot for our Halos.

I was in the womb and at the stadium in 1986 for Donnie Moore's thing. During the 90's I was as big a fan as any boy can be who lives a mile or two away from the stadium.

Since the advent of online message boards and our World Champoinship is where I've really become a diehard.

Wearing the only Angel red of among a house of orange/black, green/gold, and the one half-assed Red Sox fan I lived with in college (05-09) wasn't easy.

Continual playoff meltdowns might be harder to suffer than yearly mediocrity.

• 1 month later...

Before.  From back in the 70's, when the Angels treated the Twins like their AAA team (Bostock, Blyleven, Carew), and all my family were Twins fans.  Skipped the 80s, 90s, and 2000s.  Got interested again when I was stationed outside St Louis, as Edmonds, Eckstein and Percival got my interest, and of course when Albert signed with y'all.  Currently in Honduras, going to be stationed at Little Rock next year, so if you have questions about the Travelers, I plan on going to a lot of games.

Moved to Anaheim in 1971 from Brooklyn, New York, I was 4 years old. My dad hated the Dodgers and wanted to be sure that I would never become a Dodger fan. We used to go to The Big "A" and sit in the trees just beyond the homerun fences. After the 7th inning they would open the doors to allow people to leave. We would then walk in and sit waaaaaaaaaay up at top.