• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

When did you become an Angels fan? Were you an Angels fan before, during or after the 2002 season?

Angels Fandom DOB: ?  

468 members have voted

1. 1. Were you an Angels fan before the 2002 World Championship Season?

• Yes, I was a fan before the 2002 season
    • No, I became a fan after the 2002 season
    • No, I became a fan during the 2002 season
  2. 2. When did you become an Angels fan?

Who here was NOT a fan of the team before the 2002 season? Who here was? When?

I'm trying to gather some data for something I'm going to be posting on a regular basis throughout this season that I think you all will enjoy re: the 2002 World Championship Season. 

Vote! 

I remember going to my first Angels game in 1969 when I was 8 years old. I guess, nominally I could say the 60's. It would have been the 70's when I fully understood baseball strategy and really appreciated the games. Wow, were some of those lean years, but I enjoyed the team anyway.

I told the story in the "how did yu become an Angels fan", but, ling story short, my Godfather pitched for the Yankees in the 50s, retired, moved to Buena Park and would take to me Angel games when I was little. He not only taught me to love the Angels (his second team, he was a Yankee after all), but also taught me to hatef The Dodgers. It was the 70s. Bobby Grich was my favorite player.

I was a casual fan of the team in '78, but became a hardcore fan from the get-go in 1979, which also made it a special thing for me being it was my first full season as an Angels fan, seeing them get to the playoffs. I watched and listened to every game as a nine year old. 

I remember 1979 quite well. I was a freshman in college and a bunch of us would monopolize the dorm's tv room for those playoffs. Dan Ford hitting leadoff home runs in the first two games. Harlow's walk-off double in the third game was one of the most exciting moments in Angel history to that moment. I was at the stadium for that. Good times.

Chuck, this is a fun and interesting thread. It is therapeutic to reminisce about Angels history. A good way to keep things looking up and to give everyone some perspective. Good choice for a topic.

That and in bringing up the Angels best season as a fan ever, I have some exciting news to share about the 2002 club and what you the fans will get to relive here on the forum on a daily basis. 

1990s when they were still the California Angels, use to live in Nicaragua & started following them since.

You must like my hat (avatar) then? :) 

Wow, how did you follow the club closely from Nicaragua? Did you get any of the games on tv or just read US newspapers to keep up with the team?

Question? If you could relive the 2002 season all over again here on the board, in detailed fashion, game by game till the Erstad's final catch, would you be interested? 

This year we're already re-living the 2000 season.

Someone said in a post earlier today that Joe Blanton's 3 HRs allowed tied a franchise record for first start as an Angels pitcher with Seth Etherton in 2000. I was actually at that game (Etherton was on my brother's little league team).  

that and

Trout, Pujols, Hamilton, Trumbo = Anderson, Vaughn, Salmon, Glaus 

the equivalency is far from perfect, but the awesome lineup + sketchy rotation and hopefully improved bullpen remind me a lot of the 2000 team.

Been a fan as long as I can remember, which is the late '70's. been a fanatic since 1986 or so. I grew up in a house where my brothers and dad loved baseball so it's difficult to say when I really became a fan. I've been going to 20 plus games a year since '95. My kids who are 19 and 14 have never missed a home opening day. Hell, I'm typing this from a hotel in Dallas and our main reason for being here is to catch a couple of games.

Would I be interested in reliving 2002, yes absolutely! I am sure quite a few things have slipped my mind from that season. My only suggestion would be to start around game 21, because everyone and their brother knows how the first 20 games went. Just my thoughts....