• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

David Freese

Lou

One thing not commonly mentioned about the Bourjos trade is 5th at the Angels were in negotiations with Trout at the time. Trout's agent may have informed the front office that he would only sign the extension as a center fielder. I know this is just speculation but who knows what is said behind the scenes and Trout is certainly worth more as a CF financially than LF.

I agree with this. How much, if it all was Freese an upgrade over internal options, that was the real question, more than losing Grichuk and Bourjos.

Can't wait for a Freese slump and all you guys argue why Scioscia is an idiot for not playing Green or Lucho.

That must be a sad world to live in, waiting for others to do things. You have my pity.

One thing not commonly mentioned about the Bourjos trade is 5th at the Angels were in negotiations with Trout at the time. Trout's agent may have informed the front office that he would only sign the extension as a center fielder. I know this is just speculation but who knows what is said behind the scenes and Trout is certainly worth more as a CF financially than LF.

Hadn't thought of that, may have been a factor......still wonder what Green could have done as an everyday 3bman, guess we'll never know....I do think Freese is a much better option than Callaspo....

I was wrong about the Bourjos trade. Kudos to Dipoto.

Freese is more important to this team than Pujols.

was against the trade at first, but the more I considered it, it makes sense because bourjos wouldnt have started, and we needed a 3B. If freese is even just average we did ok.

That said, like doc, I would have preferred to still have pb/rg just for their tradeability now, to nab us bullpen help

Pb's bat is nothing to get excited about, but his speed and glove (especially in the NL) still have value

FYI, I was told before the trade happened that the Cardinals did not view Bourjos as more than a fourth OF, which is how the Angels viewed him too, incidentally. That's why the Cards wouldn't do Bourjos-Freese straight up.

The other thing about Bourjos is that his "value" in a WAR sense, which so many people like to mention, is not really relevant to the Angels because of the "replacement" they have in CF if he's not there.

His value is all defense, and to the Angels there's not much value added having Bourjos over Trout in CF. You then improve your defense a lot in LF, but the cost is Bourjos bat in the lineup instead of, say, Calhoun. I don't know many teams that value defense over offense in the corner OF.

Edited by Jeff Fletcher

was against the trade at first, but the more I considered it, it makes sense because bourjos wouldnt have started, and we needed a 3B. If freese is even just average we did ok.

That said, like doc, I would have preferred to still have pb/rg just for their tradeability now, to nab us bullpen help

Pb's bat is nothing to get excited about, but his speed and glove (especially in the NL) still have value

The thing is, Hamilton could DH and Bourjos could have been in the OF. Pointless discussion now though

FYI, I was told before the trade happened that the Cardinals did not view Bourjos as more than a fourth OF, which is how the Angels viewed him too, incidentally. That's why the Cards wouldn't do Bourjos-Freese straight up.

The other thing about Bourjos is that his "value" in a WAR sense, which so many people like to mention, is not really relevant to the Angels because of the "replacement" they have in CF if he's not there.

His value is all defense, and to the Angels there's not much value added having Bourjos over Trout in CF. You then improve your defense a lot in LF, but the cost is Bourjos bat in the lineup instead of, say, Calhoun. I don't know many teams that value defense over offense in the corner OF.

agreed.

however, the trend in baseball now is to have three "centerfielders" playing in the outfield to maximize defensive efficiency and get to as many balls as possible, no matter where they are hit. Many good defensive teams have this kind of setup, and I kind of agree with it. With the PED era coming to an end, pitching and defense are the name of the game and its an advantage to have an outfield that can get to as many flyballs as possible. Especially in a pitchers park like Anaheim.

with that said, bourjos had no place here. And he's done fine for the cardinals

Adjusting to a new league, adjusting to life away from where he grew up, those things coupled with his back. He can be a very useful player for us. I get the feeling that he won't have a long career because he looks like everything takes a lot of effort, but he will be solid.

Most of the people that hated the Bourjos trade didn't see Calhoun as a real ML player.

Luckily there were people in the organization that knew he was going to be.

i don't believe that's true at all. calhoun had little to nothing to do with that trade. what you get back in a trade is totally independent of roster positions.