• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Remembering Tony Gwynn

mlb_besttools_01.jpg
By David Saltzer, AngelsWin.com Senior Writer

Growing up in Southern California in the 1980s, two things were always certain in the summer: It was always sunny and Tony Gwynn always got hit.  

Scratch that. Sometimes it rained.

I’m not old enough to have seen Ted Williams play baseball. But I did see Tony Gwynn. Some say that Gwynn was the best hitter since Williams and I believe it. He was magic with the bat and probably the best I’ve ever seen. The only time I would watch a Dodgers game on TV by choice was when they played the Padres—and that was just to watch Tony Gwynn hit.

Baseball is a great game. It teaches so many life lessons. Today, it reminded me of how short life is. Tony was just 54. That’s not too much older than me. I have friends older than that. I haven’t talked to a few in a while. Maybe I will give them a call tonight.

This year has been a bad year for the baseball community, especially the Padres. There have been lots of notable losses recently, and each is a tragedy in its own way.

But the news today about Tony Gwynn hit home with me more. It’s probably because Tony was a link to the way baseball once was and how I loved seeing it played.

For almost all of my life, baseball has had free agency. Now, I’m not going to argue that the prior system was better, but, I grew up hearing about fans knowing their players for their entire careers. I always wanted that, and with the exception of Tim Salmon, never really had that experience.

There were some exceptions. Tony Gwynn was an exception. He played his entire career—20 years—for the Padres. Most likely he could have made more money elsewhere or had more of the limelight in another venue. Instead, he played his entire career in relative obscurity in San Diego.

It was that obscurity that allowed me to have my favorite memory with Tony Gwynn—his 1994 season. Prior to the start of the season, my college friends and I decided to do setup a fantasy baseball league. We all thought we knew something about the game, and so we all drafted a team. Around the 6th round of the draft, I was shocked to see Tony Gwynn still available, so I picked him. Boy was I glad that I did.

That summer, I went away to do research in Russia. This was the era before wifi and cellular communications. Email barely existed—and only with dial up connections. When I got back, I had so many letters and phone calls from everyone in the league begging me to trade him. That season was unreal. He hit .394/.454/.568—the closest that anyone has come to breaking Ted Williams’ record. Sure, the season ended poorly for baseball, but I will always remember winning my first fantasy league thanks to him and his chase to break .400.

It was a keeper league. Let’s just say I had a nice run with him in fantasy baseball over the next few years—much to my friends’ chagrin.

What separated Gwynn from others was how he worked each and every at bat. For his career, Gwynn had nearly twice as many walks (790) as he did strikeouts (434). Long before Moneyball, Gwynn was doing everything he could to help his team score runs. The only season where he didn’t have more walks than strikeouts was his rookie season—and  that was in just a third of a season (14 BBs to 16 Ks). He didn’t hit for that much power (although he did have some pop in his bat). He just quietly went up to the plate and got his hits.

Some players are fan favorites because of the way they play the game or their on the field accomplishments. Some become legends for the way they play the game. Their exploits grant them a spot in the Hall of Fame.

But some players, they transcend the game. They get immortalized in ways like no other. They change the game in ways that last for generations. 

Tony Gwynn was one such player transcendent player. Look around the league tonight. You’ll see Tony Gwynn in ways you won’t even know.

Look at the bats when every player steps up to the plate. Watch for the players with two-toned Louisville Slugger bats—the ones with a black barrel and a natural finish. They’re in vogue right now.

What you probably don’t know is that there is a name for that type of finish on a Louisville Slugger bat. It’s called the Tony Gwynn finish. Tony Gwynn was such a good hitter, that his name will forever be associated with that style of bat. Not many players have bats named for them. 

Like most fans, I didn’t know about Gwynn’s battles with salivary gland cancer. Most likely Gwynn got it from years of chewing smokeless tobacco. With all the focus on PEDs and steroids, baseball has overlooked the perils of chewing tobacco. It’s an ugly habit—one that I hope gets banned by baseball.

If we are to make anything of Gwynn’s tragic early demise, I hope that it is to raise awareness again about the dangers of chewing and the direct connection tobacco has to cancer. Baseball has a chance to do something good here. MLB could draw attention to the perils of dipping by banning the substance and setting aside June 16th as an anti-tobacco day. Much like when baseball uses pink bats on Mother’s Day to raise funds for the Susan G. Komen for the Cure organization, every year baseball could have all the players use bats with a Tony Gwynn finish to raise funds for tobacco awareness and cancer research. I know I’d buy one just to remember the greatness that he was.

Louisville 2Tone Hard Maple Youth Wood Baseball Bat , Teal, 31 

DiLtIjrSIi8

View the full article

Nice story about the Tony Gwynn Bat, I also did not know about it.

Look up the Dan Patrick about Tony Gwynn video.  It's heartbreaking, because you can see that Dan was fighting back the tears.  I think it was in that segment, but one thing that Dan brought up was that when Tony was asked about PED's.  He said on the record, about 40-50% of players used.  Canseco might have brought the fight, but Tony probably brought legitimacy to the argument.  

Nice article, Dave. Great idea with the bat to raise awareness. I would hope that by the beginning of the 2015 season, dipping will be banned. It took away one of the greatest hitters of all time, and arguably the greatest hitter of the 20 or so years he played.

Great story, Dave.

On the chewing tobacco aspect of this -- I think every story, every post needs to add that Tony Gwynn did shrink from this issue at all -- in fact, he blamed himself for not being able to kick that habit and even when his doctors told him, that his tobacco habit did not cause his cancer, he insisted that it did and used himself as an example to urge others to quit (or not start) the habit.

you know, there's probably someone out there who doesn't like Tony Gwynn (well, opposing pitchers didn't like him when he was at the plate) but you'd have to search long and hard to find such a person.

What a great ballplayer, what a great human being and what a life !!  He made millions from baseball and probably could have made even more through the free agent market he never tested -- but the much beloved by everyone, and it seems like EVERYONE Tony Gwynn was very rich indeed.......Rich in genuine goodness that is so seldom seen in individuals, let alone a major sports superstar.

And the best part of this - if there can be a best part on a day like this -- is that the universal love of Tony Gwynn by so many was so widely expressed over the years its not just something being said on a day like this........

can't say enough good things about the late Tony Gwynn...........

on the ESPN MLB site they repeat the story about Tony Gwynn and how he came to play baseball at San Diego State.

I always remembered the story but tended to forget the player involved.  It was Bobby Meacham, who played SS in MLB with the Yankees among others.

Tony Gwynn came out of Long Beach Poly to SDSU on a basketball scholarship. SDSU's basketball team back then wasn't very good - they played in the very small gym called Peterson Gym if my memory serves me right (I went to SDSU and was a student there during the time that Gwynn played hoops there and saw him play point guard).

Anyway, Meacham was a S. Cal high school product and played high school and tournament baseball against Tony Gwynn during high school. Meacham was making a recruiting visit to SDSU talking to Jim Dietz, the long-time SDSU coach -- while Meacham is sitting there -- in walks Tony Gwynn and engages in some small talk with Dietz.   Gwynn leaves and Dietz turns his attention back to Meacham who asks Dietz -- 'was that Tony Gwynn? Is he on the team?"  Dietz responds 'no, he's on the basketball team'  to which Meacham responds to effect of ' you gotta be kidding me, that guy (Tony Gwynn) is the best baseball player I played against in high school -- you have to get him on the baseball team..."

That lit the spark -- Dietz inquired and was informed that Gwynn was on a basketball scholarship which had a condition that stated he could not play any other sport.

But then the basketball coach got fired and Meacham told Gwynn - 'hey you don't have a coach -- come out and play baseball and negotiate with who-ever the new coach is going to be'

Gwynn put on an SDSU uniform and the rest is history.

Jack McKeon was the Padres GM -- he would attend SDSU baseball games, one day he's out there (Padres are likely on the way to losing 100 games again that season) and sees this guy ripping line drives.......he asks the Coach Dietz -  "who's that guy ?  I haven't seen him out here before." Dietz "that's Tony Gwynn, he only joined the team five days ago"

at the end of the season the basketball draft status of star point guard Tony Gwynn has dropped considerably -- why? he was playing great basketball (even if the team was lousy) --Gwynn remains the ALL TIME SDSU Basketball assists leader to this day.......but his NBA draft stock dropped sharply -- because it was clear he was going to be high round pick in the MLB draft.  The San Diego Padres drafted him in the third round, the San Diego Clippers (then) took him in the tenth round of the NBA draft.

The biggest assist of Tony Gwynn's career probably came from and was made by Bobby Meacham.

Thanks for the story, Dave..

We lost one of the ALL-TIME greats of the game.  RIP, Big T.

I am a dipper, but I would love to see MLB join forces with the anti-tobacco folks to school young people on the dangers of this garbage.  I've only been using the crap (I call it my Crack) for about 10 years, and will be stopping soon.  I will take a day-off per month until I do quit from the s$!^ to honor Big T.

Thanks for the story, Dave..

We lost one of the ALL-TIME greats of the game. RIP, Big T.

I am a dipper, but I would love to see MLB join forces with the anti-tobacco folks to school young people on the dangers of this garbage. I've only been using the crap (I call it my Crack) for about 10 years, and will be stopping soon. I will take a day-off per month until I do quit from the s$!^ to honor Big T.

Good luck with that! I am a big believer in making something productive to honor someone. That's a great way to do it. Let us know how it goes.

Good article, but Tony Gwynn used a completely white ash bat 99% of the time. In fact you will not find hardly one image of him using anything but the white ash if you use 'google images'.

I am aware that Tony Gwynn used a white ash bat (if I recall one of the smallest ones ever used). That doesn't mean that the Tony Gwynn finish isn't how I described it. To be sure, earlier today I contacted two sources at Louisville Slugger. Here are their responses:

Thanks for your email. Yes, the Gwynn finish is a black barrel and natural handle, just as was asked.  This was named in his honor, of course. Could you send me the link to the story when you're done?

Hi Dave, you are correct. The black barrel, natural handle Louisville Slugger is the Gwynn finish.  Very popular.  He was a loyal Louisville Slugger guy and truly one of the great human beings in the game.  It is a very sad day.

I very much agree with the second person that it was a very sad day for all of baseball.

So, there you have it. Gwynn used one finish, and in his honor, they named the two-toned finish in his honor. He transcended the game and was given an honor few will ever get. He will be missed.

Great article, Dave.

His smile always seemed little bigger and brighter when he was busy sending the Dodgers down to defeat.

He taught Garvey and a few other ex Dodgers the joy of sending LA back to LA, limping and licking their wounds.

They might be in last place, but he made sure the Padres always played like champions against the Dodgers.

It is a well known and accepted fact, that God hates the Dodgers too, so I guess he couldn't wait to have T-Gwynn up there to watch games with him, while slinging invisible lightening bolts at Chavez Ravine.

Zimmer and Gwynn, two true icons of the game, and two of the finest human beings in the game, taken away in a matter of days.

They leave a hole in the spirit of this grand old game, that just isn't being replaced these days.

I feel a lot of sadness, but it is buoyed by a boat-load of respect, and many warm summers full of memories.

Thanks for everything guys.

Took my parents to a Padres game at Petco in 2008 for Father's Day. We did the ballpark tour before the game. Padres had a game that night and we were finishing the tour during batting practice. As we were walking by the press box, I spotted Tony at his desk. I asked mom for a pen out of her purse. I took my ticket stub and asked Tony if he would kindly sign my stub. He looks down at me, fakes being mad and says "Is that an Angels cap you're wearing?" I could only mumble Yes and he smiles and says "Ok, I guess I'll still sign your ticket.."

Such a great guy and am glad I got to meet him that one time and have a chuckle with him.

I am aware that Tony Gwynn used a white ash bat (if I recall one of the smallest ones ever used). That doesn't mean that the Tony Gwynn finish isn't how I described it. To be sure, earlier today I contacted two sources at Louisville Slugger. Here are their responses:

Thanks for your email. Yes, the Gwynn finish is a black barrel and natural handle, just as was asked. This was named in his honor, of course. Could you send me the link to the story when you're done?

Hi Dave, you are correct. The black barrel, natural handle Louisville Slugger is the Gwynn finish. Very popular. He was a loyal Louisville Slugger guy and truly one of the great human beings in the game. It is a very sad day.

I very much agree with the second person that it was a very sad day for all of baseball.

So, there you have it. Gwynn used one finish, and in his honor, they named the two-toned finish in his honor. He transcended the game and was given an honor few will ever get. He will be missed.

I gotcha! Great info and again great article!

Great article, Dave.

His smile always seemed little bigger and brighter when he was busy sending the Dodgers down to defeat.

He taught Garvey and a few other ex Dodgers the joy of sending LA back to LA, limping and licking their wounds.

They might be in last place, but he made sure the Padres always played like champions against the Dodgers.

It is a well known and accepted fact, that God hates the Dodgers too, so I guess he couldn't wait to have T-Gwynn up there to watch games with him, while slinging invisible lightening bolts at Chavez Ravine.

Zimmer and Gwynn, two true icons of the game, and two of the finest human beings in the game, taken away in a matter of days.

They leave a hole in the spirit of this grand old game, that just isn't being replaced these days.

I feel a lot of sadness, but it is buoyed by a boat-load of respect, and many warm summers full of memories.

Thanks for everything guys.

You had me at, "Warm summers full of memories!"  well-played, Sir.

Thanks for your email. Yes, the Gwynn finish is a black barrel and natural handle, just as was asked.  This was named in his honor, of course. Could you send me the link to the story when you're done?

Hi Dave, you are correct. The black barrel, natural handle Louisville Slugger is the Gwynn finish.  Very popular.  He was a loyal Louisville Slugger guy and truly one of the great human beings in the game.  It is a very sad day.

Dave.  I'm just curious.  Since he does look like he used two types of bats, and in articles I've read it even says that he has 2 types of bats.  Can you find out if the "Tony Gwynn Finish" is his "7 grains of pain" bat he used against soft tossers?