• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Another example of how the US is idiotic

Maybe we have different opinion of few.  I would say less than 1% of folks who believe in gun rights.

I think some people probably fantasize about it in some sort of unrealistic, glorified way. But if it were to actually happen, they'd quickly realize what a horrifying prospect that is. There are plenty of examples of that change in personal accounts from the Civil War, WWI, etc...

I read something the other day that brought up an interesting point. Basically, the idea of the article was how many people are there who own weapons to "protect their family" that don't know basic first aid (CPR, tourniquets, hypothermia counter actions, etc...) or don't take other protection precautions like natural disaster preparedness, fire extinguishers, carbon monoxide detectors, and the like. Obviously, I'm sure there are lots of gun owners that do these things, but I'd also guess there are plenty that don't. Therefore, if the true point is protecting one's family from harm, I would think these things would take first priority.

Edited by Don Tomlinson

I read something the other day that brought up an interesting point. Basically, the idea of the article was how many people are there who own weapons to "protect their family" that don't know basic first aid (CPR, tourniquets, hypothermia counter actions, etc...) or don't take other protection precautions like natural disaster preparedness, fire extinguishers, carbon monoxide detectors, and the like. Obviously, I'm sure there are lots of gun owners that do these things, but I'd also guess there are plenty that don't. Therefore, if the true point is protecting one's family from harm, I would think these things would take first priority.

I'm guessing that the percentage overall isn't much different.  Most people don't have that stuff ready or just have one part they find most important.  I have a first aid kit and know CPR but I don't have a bunch of water saved up.  BTW, fire extinguishers are fine but they aren't going to do anything for some kind of huge natural disaster. 

I'm not saying anyone needs to go full on prepper with a 2 year water supply or anything. I just thought the idea was interesting in that there are many ways one's family can be threatened that don't necessitate you defending their lives from other humans or animals. It just helps to argue that protection is only a stated argument for some gun owners, when the core reason may sometimes be that they simply like them.

I'm not saying anyone needs to go full on prepper with a 2 year water supply or anything. I just thought the idea was interesting in that there are many ways one's family can be threatened that don't necessitate you defending their lives from other humans or animals. It just helps to argue that protection is only a stated argument for some gun owners, when the core reason may sometimes be that they simply like them.

Protection is a pretty wide term.  Regardless I would argue the fact that gun owners need no "reason" to own guns. 

Protection is a pretty wide term.  Regardless I would argue the fact that gun owners need no "reason" to own guns.

I agree. I just wish some people were more honest about simply enjoying shooting or working on their weapons, instead of saying I "need" to own weapons. Now, if you live in rural Alaska or somewhere like that, the "need" argument is pretty legit. Same goes if you own a convenience store in a rough area.

I own a gun, but I don't consider it a personal protection tool because I live in an apartment building and I'm far more likely to shoot through a wall into someone else's apartment at 4AM in the dark than I am to hit what I'm aiming for. Therefore, the gun is kept unloaded and locked up at all times. When I feel like it (once a month or so), I go to the range and put some rounds through it simply because I find it an enjoyable thing to do.

Interesting stuff Don T.

I would bet my life that a natural disaster/fire hits a house before the government rolls a tank through the door.

Of course.  But that isn't a reason to throw my hands up and say "have at it uncle sam".  Chances of getting struck by lightning are slim but that doesn't mean I'm practicing my five iron in a storm either.

true, but my hope is that most of the.military won't want to kill their own citizens, and will side with the people

Then there's no argument for citizens need to have guns to protect itself from the govt. The weapons we can get are at best the equivalent of peashooters against today's military weapons. 

the idea of the gov't coming to take any of us away is intriguing. how do any of you see this playing out?

if they come in the middle of the night while you're asleep, you're at a distinct disadvantage just from being groggy. i'd guess your gun is locked up and it would be an effort to get to it, which you aren't likely to have enough time to do.

if they come in the middle of the day, i'd imagine they'd come with enough firepower to overwhelm you and whatever weapons you have.

i haven't really considered any other alternatives. whaddaya see happening?

the idea of the gov't coming to take any of us away is intriguing. how do any of you see this playing out?

if they come in the middle of the night while you're asleep, you're at a distinct disadvantage just from being groggy. i'd guess your gun is locked up and it would be an effort to get to it, which you aren't likely to have enough time to do.

if they come in the middle of the day, i'd imagine they'd come with enough firepower to overwhelm you and whatever weapons you have.

i haven't really considered any other alternatives. whaddaya see happening?

I too would like to hear the (crazy) fantasies of these people. Red Dawn and the 1930s Gestapo is still so fresh in our memories I guess.

I know of a couple instances where firearms have deterred abuse from local governments. Has anybody ever dealt with the power-hungry, sometimes sadistic employees in code enforcement or the building department? 

An old neighbor of ours woke up one morning to barking dogs.  This was normal when the meter reader from Edison visited the backyard, except this time, the barking continued for five minutes.  In the backyard was a woman rummaging around next to his RV.  He grabbed his gun and confronted her outside.  This stupid idiot was from code enforcement.  She invited herself into the backyard without asking for permission or obtaining a search warrant, and after she mouthed off at him, he walked her to the street at gunpoint.  She called the police, and to her dismay, they sided with our neighbor saying he acted reasonably under the circumstances.