• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

DBacks DFA Cahill

Diamondbacks may want him to clear waivers, but that doesn't mean he will. And if he does, he can always refuse the assignment and go somewhere else. Cahill was great for the A's, but started losing his control in Arizona. He's from Oceanside, which isn't too far from Anaheim, and they could claim him. I doubt it though. 

You've got that backwards. I'm sure they want him to be claimed because then it saves them 16 million bucks.

Which is why he won't be claimed.

But, 1 1/2 years, around for about $16 million.  With an option for another year at $13 million, and another at $13.5 million.  He does have an opt out for the option years, but does anyone think he will be top 2 in Cy Young voting?  And if he does get top 2 in Cy Young voting, I doubt the team that gets him will care.  

Considering the price for starting pitching in FA'cy and the price a SP would cost in trade.  Some team might find it worth it.  If a team can straighten him out, he would be a steal at 3 1/2 years at $42.5 million.  And they would only risk 1 1/2 at $16 million.  

IMO, this has big market team claim written all over it.  Not sure if it's the Angels though.

Worth picking up as a FA if the deal is reasonable. Please don't claim him. That's a lot of money for a guy you are HOPING will bounce back to become a back end starter. Just to make a comparison, this guy is making more than Blanton was.

If he passes through waivers he becomes a FA?

No one will claim him because then you have to take his whole salary.

A team can work out a trade right now, giving up some player and taking some salary.

If not, he'll clear waivers and then have the option of going to the minors or being released.

Once he's released he can sign with a team of his choice for the minimum, with DBacks paying the rest.

Angels best bet to get him is a trade.

No one will claim him because then you have to take his whole salary.

A team can work out a trade right now, giving up some player and taking some salary.

If not, he'll clear waivers and then have the option of going to the minors or being released.

Once he's released he can sign with a team of his choice for the minimum, with DBacks paying the rest.

Angels best bet to get him is a trade.

What's the time frame on this kind of stuff?

I just read that if a player has five full years of service time (which Cahill does) then he has to consent to be DFA'd.  If he doesn't, they would release him outright or keep him on the 40 man.  

This makes me think this whole thing is much ado about nothing.  No one is going to claim him at that salary.  The dbacks just want him to be able to go to the minors and get so starts to work on some stuff prior to coming back, but my guess is that they still want him.  So they aren't going to just give him away.  

I think Trevor has probably already agreed to take a minor league assignment.  

Not sure why they took the complicated route though.  Usually, guys get 'injured' and then just do a rehab assignment.  

I just read that if a player has five full years of service time (which Cahill does) then he has to consent to be DFA'd.  If he doesn't, they would release him outright or keep him on the 40 man.  

This makes me think this whole thing is much ado about nothing.  No one is going to claim him at that salary.  The dbacks just want him to be able to go to the minors and get so starts to work on some stuff prior to coming back, but my guess is that they still want him.  So they aren't going to just give him away.  

I think Trevor has probably already agreed to take a minor league assignment.  

Not sure why they took the complicated route though.  Usually, guys get 'injured' and then just do a rehab assignment.  

Putting out trade feelers?

I silent quoted myself just to point out that someone was asking a question that I had answered on the previous page :)

As for the consent thing with 5 years, that's to go to minors. Not to be DFA'd.

If the DBacks have no interest in trading him and if Cahill would rather pitch in the minors with the DBacks than in the majors with another team, then that's what's going to happen.

I'm sure teams are calling them to see what they want. If they believe they can fix him and get value out of him, probably they'd rather keep him than give him up for a nothing prospect and a few million bucks of salary relief.

The Angels would be foolish to pass on Cahill at this point; Arizona has become an incompetent organization with all their bizarre trades recently, so I wouldn't be keen on assuming Cahill is broken goods.