• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Come on, let's Go!

6 games against that douche Harper and that whole warehouse of feminine hygiene products known as the Yankees organization? I'd be fired up for these games even if we were 3-15 and 10 games out right now.

I wish I could get fired up but all I see is two more 1-2 series' for us.

At this time of the year the odds are not astronomical the Angels can't over take the A's

They won't. But it counts. Which means the Angels will have to be 6 games better than the A's the rest of the way to have a better record. Not impossible, but the odds aren't in their favor.

Hey everyone, lighten up! Things are going to be different this year. Hamilton will return and continue to hit the cover off the ball, Calhoun will pick up right where he left off, Pujols will hit 40 home runs, the bullpen will be lights out, and for the icing on the championship cake, Burnett will be named the Comeback Player of the Year! Along with Albert, of course.

Sure, we'll be ten games under .500 when the magic starts in July, but who cares how we get there?  We're going to see a winning streak in the second half that will boggle the mind. Division title, World Series, the works.

Oh, who am I kidding...

So you think the A's will do better than 70% winning percentage?

Are you saying that the A's need to play .700 ball to hold off our Angels? Like I posted earlier, we have won only 53% of our last 300 games. Yes we have had our share of injuries but so does every other team. Let's not forget that the A's have a huge payroll disadvantage but still manage to keep winning with their own injuries. At some point we have to stop making excuses and tip our hats to the Oakland A's who are a gritty well managed baseball team and not a fluke.

I know people will think I am crazy with this next comment but I will say it anyway, it could be way worse. Does anyone really think Aybar will suck all season long? Can't we expect Freese to get somewhere close to his career norms? Shouldn't we expect Ibanez to get closer to .250 than he already is? I would be pretty surprised if all three of these things don't happen. The only way Freese can be this bad is if he is not healthy, because his numbers speak for themselves, and he isn't old. I'm more worried about the Jepsens and Salas's on the team than I am of the offense showing up.

I worry anytime a middling offensive player moved from the NL to the AL, and cringe when I see a 41 year old counted on for offense.  

Jerry can't be very happy about this situation, there are a lot of construction mistakes that were made on this team.  I keep coming back to the same thing, the top 25 players on this team are okay, the players in depth positions 26-45 are not okay.  Some of the players in positions 1-25 are not healthy or are not performing,  and no one in the supporting cast of 26-45 can effectively replace them, at least yet.

Problem seems to be more with the possibility that there are players not on the 25 man that are better than players ON the 25 man.

There are definitely players on the DL better and now were a sorting through the zero WAR options looking for the .01 positive.

Any one of them were never supposed to see more than a Sunday getaway day and now we have them up one side of the lineup and down the other.

Even guys like Cowgill, that seems like a reasonable filler, has to sit on the bench while Boesch gets to start and our 9th inning pinch hitter is 41 and batting a swimsuit model's weight.

We hired people to make more sensible sabermetric decisions and yet this is the result. Maybe we have a computer virus because whatever numbers they are crunching it just isn't translating to results.

Are you saying that the A's need to play .700 ball to hold off our Angels? Like I posted earlier, we have won only 53% of our last 300 games. Yes we have had our share of injuries but so does every other team. Let's not forget that the A's have a huge payroll disadvantage but still manage to keep winning with their own injuries. At some point we have to stop making excuses and tip our hats to the Oakland A's who are a gritty well managed baseball team and not a fluke.

NO, what I am saying is that the 5 game lead has more to do with the A's playing incredible baseball right now, which they won't continue to do than they A's dominating the Angels.  The A's will have their slump and the Angels will  have their chance for their hot run.  5 games out is attainable in August.  5 games out is attainable in September.  Therefore, it is certainly retainable in May.  However, if the Angels do not play better (bullpen) or do not get healthy (see Hamilton and Calhoun) or if the A's continue to win at a 70% clip than I will agree, we have no shot this year.

I do agree with Stradling:

Our every day players and our starting pitching is good enough to compete.  The problem is our bench and players 26-40.  That is what separates us from other teams.  Injuries of Hamilton and Calhoun is forcing us to have players in the lineup who can't outhit Mathis.  Other teams have the depth to absorb the injuries, the Angels do not.  Our hope is that we stay close until we get healthy and then make a run.

At this time of the year the odds are not astronomical the Angels can't over take the A's

No. But it feels eerily familiar, doesn't it? The Angels find themselves in yet another early hole.. and they're going to have a hell of a hard time to climb out of it.

By the way, when you say the A's will have their slumps and the Angels will have a chance to go on a run, sure...but so will the A's (and Rangers and the rest of the AL) when the Angels have their slumps.

The A's will regress, but you can't expect their record to even itself out just because they have started off 13-5. That's not how regression works. If the A's are a true talent 88-win team, and they play at that pace the rest of the way...that would give them 91 wins. That means the Angels would have to play at a near 95-win pace the rest of the way to catch them. Possible? Yeah. Highly unlikely? Yeah. 

Edited by Angels

6 games against that douche Harper and that whole warehouse of feminine hygiene products known as the Yankees organization? I'd be fired up for these games even if we were 3-15 and 10 games out right now.

Yankees are leading the AL East and are 6-3 at home.

We've got our work cut out for us there.