• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Is it time to move Albert Pujols down in the lineup?

Chuck

Rolling the first pitch over to the 3B and doubling up trout 20+ times a year is getting really really old.

Better get used to it. He's leading the AL in GIDP on the young season.

(Actually, tied for first with a bunch of other guys...)

Edited by fan_since79

Albert Pujols has played 7 games this season.

If he had 3 more hits he'd be hitting .300

Qft.  Its kind of sad how quickly people are turning on him.  It looks like its all mental to me.  Once he gets a few good swings and a couple dingers im confident he'll be back to his old self.  A lot of players start out slow.  

The best thing about Albert is he has a lot of pride.  I think he wants to start dominating again as bad as the fans do.  He doesnt strike me as the Vernon Wells type to just collect a paycheck.

Edited by QuinlansMinion

Albert Pujols has played 7 games this season.

If he had 3 more hits he'd be hitting .300

If he had 16 more hits last year, he would have hit .300.

If he had 10 more hits in 2012, he would have hit .300.

Point is, he doesn't have more hits this year, and he didn't have those hits then--even if you're assuming that a .300 BA is symbolic of something good, in and of itself.

Vernon Wells cared nothing but collecting his paycheck? Seemed like everything folks relayed was that Vernon tried really hard to regain his lost glory.

He simply had an random fluke crazy year in 2010 and the Jays smartly were able to unload him. 2009 seemed like a better baseline to project him.

If he had 16 more hits last year, he would have hit .300.

If he had 10 more hits in 2012, he would have hit .300.

Point is, he doesn't have more hits this year, and he didn't have those hits then--even if you're assuming that a .300 BA is symbolic of something good, in and of itself.

Mostly my point is that 7 games is too small a sample size to be making drastic decisions.

Disagree with the thought that it's too early for a move. The same crowd will tell you these games in April do not count.

Just my opinion, but I think you need to adjust your lineup based on current results, not based on accomplishments that happened in the past.

If a player is truly in a slump you either a.) Bench him or b.) Move him down in the order until he gets going.

Throughout that video (from his younger days) you can clearly see he was able to get around quickly on the inside fastballs and drive them right out of the park.

We don't see that anymore.

We don't see anything from that video at all. His home run trot was faster than his hustle speed. That just made me feel depressed about the situation.

The problem with AP in this very small sample size is that he's not even moving guys over.  Last year he did.  Again, small sample size right now.

People need to remember that AP was brought in by the Owner and called a partner (for 20 years) - so for those who can't understand MS reluctance to anger AP then imagine the Owner at your workplace bringing a guy in and calling him partner ... you'd take a chance on pissing him off?

The only thing MS can do and possibly get away with it is swap JH and AP and say it's because JH is hot.  It might also put back that old AP "chip on the shoulder" and a disrespected AP typically responds.

Mostly my point is that 7 games is too small a sample size to be making drastic decisions.

Except it's not a sample size of 7 games, it's a sample size of 2 years and 7 games. Nobody would be batting an eye if Pujols had put up even respectable numbers last year, just like no one flips out if Trout has a couple of 0-4 games. 

Except it's not a sample size of 7 games, it's a sample size of 2 years and 7 games. Nobody would be batting an eye if Pujols had put up even respectable numbers last year, just like no one flips out if Trout has a couple of 0-4 games.

He had one leg last year.

And in 2012 he was pretty good for the last 5 months.

Chuck, there's a difference between saying the sample is too small and the games don't count. We are talking about predicting the future with a lineup change, and you just don't have enough information to do that.

He had one leg last year.

And in 2012 he was pretty good for the last 5 months.

Chuck, there's a difference between saying the sample is too small and the games don't count. We are talking about predicting the future with a lineup change, and you just don't have enough information to do that.

I understand that Jeff, and I won't use last season's numbers against Pujols because I know the severity of that injury and how hard it would be to play effectively.

That said, we've seen Pujols struggle before out of the gate. April of 2012. I just think until he's "right" he should move down for the betterment of the team.

Here's to hoping that doesn't have to happen with a strong couple games up here in Seattle. I will be in attendance both games and rooting Pujols and the team on.