• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Trout will never stay with the Angels

Glen

I can't imagine another team would pay this kind of money on a player 4 years removed from free agency.  Not even the Dodgers or the Yanks.  

I'm betting that Trout just gets better from here, but still.  

every team in baseball would be ecstatic to sign Trout to this deal.  Every. Single. One.

That's delusional.

Most teams would have to reduce their average salary to under $1-2 million for each person on their 40-man roster.  

Big market teams will spend more than what Trout got when he's a been a free agent for a couple of years after this 6 year contract runs out.  I'd imagine he'll bee looking at $35-$40 mill/year by the time this extension is up if he continues producing.  

You realize that six years from now no one really knows what MLB salaries will be.  It's an artificial market, economic and competitive circumstances could produce market conditions that do not continue to expand each year.  We all get jaded by the ever increasing salary levels that ML baseball has grown accustomed to the past decade or so.  There are lots of uncertainties that could disrupt that growth pattern, such as a baseball union strike, bankrupt teams, institution of a salary cap, or a baseball scandal similar to the PED era to name a few.  For Trout, there are lots of circumstances that could kill his future earnings power, a serious baseball injury, a car accident, a serious health threat for example.  Trout was smart to lock up a deal to virtually guarantee a lifetime of protection financially.  After 2020 anything he gets, no matter how big or small, is frosting on the cake.  The first big contract guarantees protection to him, his family, and his future children financially; the second one makes him filthy rich.  I would argue that the first contract is the most important one.

A smart person never assumes things about the future about which they cannot control.

Edited by tomsred

I can't imagine another team would pay this kind of money on a player 4 years removed from free agency.  Not even the Dodgers or the Yanks.  

I'm betting that Trout just gets better from here, but still.  

Congratulations.  You're officially the only person who thinks that.

I was strongly in the camp of "offer a 22-year old $100+ mil and there is no way he will turn it down."

Now that being said, I wouldn't be surprised if he desires to play on the East coast and will be difficult/impossible to sign before free agency next time around.

Trout just established financial security for the rest of his life at the age of 22 and Southern California  isn't a bad place to live. The Angels also had a little more leverage considering Trout hadn't even hit arbitration. He's smarter than all the idiots like Dave Cameron who are suggesting that he should have held out for a contract that he may never even see, 

Edited by sneaky_flute