• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Trout will never stay with the Angels

Glen

This is great for the Angels.  By 2020, if Trout wants to remain a career Angel, I am confident that Arte will oblige.  If Trout wants to test the free market, I am sure the Angels will recieve a pretty good package via trade.  Either way, Trout helps the Angels for the next 6 yrs and beyond.  It is only a matter of how he helps after 2020. 

Is a double edge sword really the hometown vs winning team. If we win three or four WS during his contract will he feel that he has accomplished what he set out to do and now wants to play at home? Help bring his boyhood team a championship? On the other hand if we win nothing will he want to move on to chase a ring? STFU Doug. I think what will happen is we will have 4-5 playoff appearances and hopefully at least two rings. He will sign an extension in the high of his second ring and third MVP award. OR we could just stop speculating and enjoy having the best played in baseball on the Angels.

All the dumb theories on why Trout would leave the Angels.

"Angels can't afford him because of the Pujols contract"

"After Hamilton's contract, Angels surely won't be able to afford Trout"

"Angels missed the playoffs again, Trout will leave to play for a winning team"

"Because of his dismal raise after his rookie year, he surely won't stay now"

"Angels moved Trout out of CF?! He's now unhappy and will sign with another team"

"Trout grew up on the East Coast. He's as good as gone"

I was strongly in the camp of "offer a 22-year old $100+ mil and there is no way he will turn it down."

Now that being said, I wouldn't be surprised if he desires to play on the East coast and will be difficult/impossible to sign before free agency next time around.

Can we wait until the ink dries on this extension before we worry about his next contract? Edited by IEAngelfan

this will start a trend of agents of club controlled players seeking 'lock 'em in' contracts well before (like 4 years before) club control ends.......one problem with that -- 99.99 -plus % of those players are NOT Mike Trout.

Mike Trout's stats in his first two seasons are numbers only about four of the greatest players in the history of the game have put up........

Angels season ticket sales way down so far this year -- today's press conference (I assume that's being televised live somewhere? FSN?) should change that in a hurry -- might not be all the way up to last year's levels but probably won't be lagging 20 percent behind either.

I've said all along here that Halos are headed for a third place AL West finish -- this Trout signing combined with the 'new' Angels of 2014 -- truly an "Earl Weaver 3 run HR type offense" a real AL team philosophy instead of the long-standing Mike Scioscia NL small ball, pitching and defense (of which we've been lacking in recent years which then only further highlights the lack of emphasis on offense) game may produce results......The results may be ugly 9 to 6 type wins but a "W" is a "W" in the standings......

so let's see how this Trout, Pujols, Hamilton (if healthy and swinging bat well) combo works for the Halos -- I expect Pujols, if he bats behind Trout all season -- to get some good pitches -- if he has anything of his former self left, he'll feast on some of those good looks at decent pitches -- seems to appear, however, and this could be wrong -- that Pujols has lost some of his power swing of days past and pitches he would have smacked out the part four years ago are now going to be either flyouts or perhaps doubles..........

so, if we get enough of these 'ugly' wins (which are better than 'pretty' losses)........well, perhaps there are playoffs in the Halos 2014 future.

@Cezero,

You have to keep on mind how the market has evolved. In years past (assuming you and I are the same age), we were used to seeing a ton of 4 year deals of stud players because bioengineering allowed guys to play for 15 years.

Now, with players hitting the hard ceiling around 30 years old, a guy like trout is beyond the value of a guy like a Cabrera simply because of his age. Yeah, cabrera and guys like him have a more established track record, but with trout his only decline concerns are if he gets hurt, not slows down.

Trout signing a six year deal doesn't necessarily mean he wanted to stay with the Angels. It was a very smart business decision for him and his family. Looks like the Angels were not going to sign him for less than six years.

Great deal for both sides.

What? 

He signed a six year deal.  It may have been a business decision, but if he truly didn't want to be here, he would have rolled the dice and moved on.