• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Fun trivia before the season begins

Hey all,

Just thought we might have some fun with some baseball trivia. Now I can't make any promises, but a cursory poll of my living room shows that an individual capable of answering all these questions correctly will be heralded among baseball keyboard jockeys everywhere! So let us begin.

1. What is unofficially the longest home run ever hit in an MLB game? Who hit it, where, and how far did it go?

2. What was a ground rule double ruled as before the 1931 season?

3. Who was the first African American player in the major leagues?

4. What year was the first year bats were regulated?

5. What is the record for the lowest attendance ever at an MLB game?

6. What player did a manager once joke that "They'll land a man on the moon before he hits a home run," only to have the player he mentioned score his first home run hours after the Apollo 11 landed?

7. What was Ken Griffey Jr's real first name?

8. Who is the only player to hit 60 home runs 3 times?

9. Who introduced shin guards for catchers? What year did this take place?

10. What pitcher invented the curveball? Tip: He is widely noted as the "Father of the Curveball."

Hope you enjoy!

Hey all,

Just thought we might have some fun with some baseball trivia. Now I can't make any promises, but a cursory poll of my living room shows that an individual capable of answering all these questions correctly will be heralded among baseball keyboard jockeys everywhere! So let us begin.

1. What is unofficially the longest home run ever hit in an MLB game? Who hit it, where, and how far did it go? A mile. Some black guy, and again, at least a mile. Unofficial, right?

2. What was a ground rule double ruled as before the 1931 season? Oh shit, does anyone have another ball. or for you stat geeks "OSDAHAB"

3. Who was the first African American player in the major leagues? The guy who hit the LONGEST home run.

4. What year was the first year bats were regulated? First year.

5. What is the record for the lowest attendance ever at an MLB game? It's gotta be an A's game, Ummm... the 2000's

6. What player did a manager once joke that "They'll land a man on the moon before he hits a home run," only to have the player he mentioned score his first home run hours after the Apollo 11 landed? Willits. Wait, no.. that was the Challenger I think. Hatcher.

7. What was Ken Griffey Jr's real first name? Was he named after his real dad?

8. Who is the only player to hit 60 home runs 3 times? Did he cheat? Again, the black guy. You know.. what's his name

9. Who introduced shin guards for catchers? What year did this take place? I'm gonna say the first catcher in the late 1800's

10. What pitcher invented the curveball? Tip: He is widely noted as the "Father of the Curveball."  Guido Sarducci, he was a my favorite father

Hope you enjoy! I did, thank you. What's my score?

Taking a guess.  But is #1 Mantle like either 501 feet or 601 feet at the polo grounds?

Mantle's was 565 feet, in Minnesota. I forgot what year it was.

Ruth's final home run (#714) was the first ball to clear the right-field roof at Forbes Field. At the time it was estimated at some 600 feet.

You are both correct in that it was Mantle, however it was at Briggs Stadium in 1960 which was estimated to be roughly 634-660 feet.

2. What was a ground rule double ruled as before the 1931 season? Oh shit, does anyone have another ball. or for you stat geeks "OSDAHAB"

4. What year was the first year bats were regulated? First year.

5. What is the record for the lowest attendance ever at an MLB game? It's gotta be an A's game, Ummm... the 2000's

7. What was Ken Griffey Jr's real first name? Was he named after his real dad?

Hope you enjoy! I did, thank you. What's my score?

Well, you didn't score great

2. It was ruled a home run before 1931.

4. Bats were first regulated in 1859, before that it was common for players to use 2 x 4 in an effort to maximize the amount of wood they could get on a ball.

5. Negative, not an A's game. It was 347 in 2011 when the Reds played the Marlins in Miami.

7. While he was indeed named after his father, his first name is George.

Hope you all enjoyed.