• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Long or Shuck?

With Green and McDonald in the IF, couldn't both Long and Shuck stick?

I guess that could happen considering there really isn't anyone else with pop from the left side. 

I wonder if they choose Bosch or Cowgill because of their previous experience.  I hope not. 

I guess that could happen considering there really isn't anyone else with pop from the left side. 

I wonder if they choose Bosch or Cowgill because of their previous experience.  I hope not. 

Hope not, too.

Even with the additions, the pitching staff, including the pen, still has some ?s.

Be nice to have Long's bat on the bench, especially in late PH situations.

Long offers more power and can play all OF positions, including 2B. 

I like Long better, but Shuck will make it and I won't be too pissed about that either. Shuck can get on base and hit at a .300 clip and net some extra base hits. He has 5 triples in ST.  

Long all day looooong.  

I think I've made it pretty clear previously I'm no Shuck fan.  He's that double whammy of zero power and low OBP.  The guy hits for decent average and does absolutely nothing else particularly well.  Long can take a walk and has some decent power.  

Shuck did post a solid OBP in the minors of .382, but a hilariously bad SLG that was a point lower at .381.  At the major league level he just has zero intimidation factor, and pitchers are perfectly willing to throw him strikes and take their chances.  Of course as I type this he hits his 5th freaking triple of the spring.  

Bottom line, If a guy who has a spring like Long has had can't get a shot at taking a job from a replacement level player, then what are they even doing out there?

Haven't seen any of Long this spring.  But looking at his stats, some weird things going on.  He's a consistent .800 to mid 8 OPS every level.  2 seasons ago, he went from AA to AAA.  An .805 OPS at AAA.  Last season, he went back to AA and split time to AAA.  

Biggest flaw I see is he doesn't seem to have much power at all for an outfielder.  More of a singles/OBP type player and doesn't seem to have much speed in the SB department.  Looking at his fielding % (yeah, I know, not the most accurate indicator) it seems he isn't that great in the OF defensively either.  

Might be what is keeping him back.  

Biggest flaw I see is he doesn't seem to have much power at all for an outfielder.  More of a singles/OBP type player and doesn't seem to have much speed in the SB department.  Looking at his fielding % (yeah, I know, not the most accurate indicator) it seems he isn't that great in the OF defensively either.  

Might be what is keeping him back.  

He's definitely not going to pile up the HRs, but he's competing for a job against a guy that has hit 2 HR in the last four years.  

He had 20 SB and 8 triples in each of the last two seasons.  Seems like he's got some decent speed.  

He also has a pretty solid beard game.  That's gotta count for something.

Long would be my choice, but I have a bad feeling the spot will end up going to Cowgil or Shuck. Cowgil has always had good springs but could never carry it into the regular season, so I'm not buying what he's done so far. Here's a list of the numbers he's put the last 3 springs between the A's, Mets, and Angels. 

2012: .396/.455/.563/1.017

2013: .303./.378/.591/.969

2014: .275/.333/.550/.883

Very good springs followed up by a sub .700 OPS in the regular season.  I'm honestly not a fan of Shuck at all, he only offers one decent tool. I like Long's upside the most out of the bunch and has done more than enough this spring to get a crack at the job. 

Long has more upside and probably needs everyday ABs so I'd keep Shuck on the 25 man, since he'll probably never be anything more than a glorified Reggie Willits.

Willits 2.0

Look how much their minor league numbers mirror each other. 

Shuck: .301/.382/.381/.763

Willits: .293/.391/.378/.769