• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Tanaka or Garza/Balfour

Stradling

This is assuming all three players play to their potential right? If so then of course Tanaka. 25 years old, could be our #1 guy within 1-2 years, potential #2 stuff, great command. Garza may give us 1-2 years of slightly above league average ball, but after that who knows. Balfour would be great energy inserted into the bullpen, but he's not enough to trump Tanaka along with Garza.

Am I the only one that thinks Balfour is somewhat overrated? I love his attitude and energy, but his stuff is just ok, or am I missing something? I am not saying he isn't better than what we have, but I just think he is a solid arm, nothing more.

2.47 ERA, 1.05 WHIP, 9.2 K/9, and only 176 hits allowed in 254 innings over the last four seasons. I think the dude is underrated.

I'd assume he has to take less because of concerns about his wrist and is it his knee? Which concerns me as well because of Madsen and Burnett signings and how they have worked out. I got back and forth on this all the time. I'd love Tanaka (not at 125 mil plus posting) and I'd like Garza too. Especially if we can get him at like 4/56. Balfour would be the cherry for me.

With the health concerns of Balfour, unless you get him for a year, I think that is questionable. 

With Moreno's comments on Garza, I believe the Angels are trying to publicly re-assure interest in Garza as they try for Tanaka.  Obviously, it's got to be tough for the remaining FA SPs to wait for one guy.  I believe if the Angels are out on Tanaka, they'd move on to Garza.  I'm fairly confident they will add another SP, but that could either be a Tanaka/Garza or a Hammel/Capuano type. 

....With Moreno's comments on Garza, I believe the Angels are trying to publicly re-assure interest in Garza as they try for Tanaka..

They are, historically, hard to read and follow on FA's....They tend to appear out of nowhere sometimes---Hamilton, Pujols, Torii Hunter....but I wonder if the Garza comments weren't more of a preemptive strike on him and the "we're not interested" stories regarding Tanaka this week might actually be true....we'll see....

But it won't be the same AAV, or at least not for the same number of years. Garza will get 4-5, Balfour 1-2 (due to injury concerns), and Tanaka 6-8.

To answer the question, it really depends upon the cost.

If...Garza 4/56 + Balfour 1/8 and Tanaka 7/150, then definitely Garza/Balfour.

If...Garza 5/75 + Balfour 2/15 and Tanaka 6/110, then probably Tanaka. But even then I'm really hesitant on Tanaka.

The middle ground is more difficult. But I'm thinking it will end up closer to the first, so I'd take Garza/Balfour.

Looks like the dodgers did us a solid by claytons contract. Arte doesn't like to upstaged by the blue. see Josh Hamilton. Tanaka would be just what the team needs on the mound in the stands and marketing . That could offset the luxery tax. I would be cool with Garza but at the right price. We are currently over paying to solid player and are under paying trout and weaver. For Weaver to sign that deal was the most impressive thing I have seen a star do. I hate greed and sports agents. But most of all being the Atlanta Braves of the 90s. How there isn't at least 1 more world series victory. fn Doug eddings Mother nature and CC Sabathia and the my all time favorite the 3 game sweep by boston. Howie 1 for 19 with runners in scoring position. I went off post but I have a reputation to live up to

Looks like the dodgers did us a solid by claytons contract. Arte doesn't like to upstaged by the blue. see Josh Hamilton. Tanaka would be just what the team needs on the mound in the stands and marketing . That could offset the luxery tax. I would be cool with Garza but at the right price. We are currently over paying to solid player and are under paying trout and weaver. For Weaver to sign that deal was the most impressive thing I have seen a star do. I hate greed and sports agents. But most of all being the Atlanta Braves of the 90s. How there isn't at least 1 more world series victory. fn Doug eddings Mother nature and CC Sabathia and the my all time favorite the 3 game sweep by boston. Howie 1 for 19 with runners in scoring position. I went off post but I have a reputation to live up to

Let me rephrase this for you.  So you believe Arte is jealous of what the Dodgers do, and that by signing Tanaka the team will improve the Angels' revenue stream and show the baseball community that he can spend money and attract players just like the Dodgers.  You believe the added revenue will offset and possible luxury tax assessed by the league.  You believe Weaver is impressive because he refused to pursue more money in his contract.  You lost me on the Atlanta Braves thingy, but I got that you think they should have won at least one more World Series.  I don't think you like Doug Eddings and Sabathia, but you liked beating Boston in the playoffs.  I think Howie was up more than 19 times with runners in scoring position last year, but maybe you were referring to the playoffs.

I agree that Arte probably competes with the Dodgers, but isn't that logical?  After all we are in the same sports market area.  I suppose Tanaka will sell a few more tickets and jerseys, but shouldn't we be concerned with winning, not necessarily maxing out revenue.  I believe that the Atlanta Braves were extremely good for a very long period, and probably have a much better run organization than the Angels have shown the past few years.  I don't like Doug Eddings either, and I think Sabathia was given a bigger contract than what he produces for the Yankees, but that is the Yankee way and they can afford to do so.  Hitting wise Howie is an above average second baseman, but not terrific.  He has improved his defense with the Angels since he was given the position full time, and I would say he is slightly above league average in that department.  If they could trade him now for more young pitching I would hope that do it.