• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Dave Cameron (Fangraphs) predicts Garza...

Angelsjunky

...to the Angels for 4/50.

If that's the case, I say go for it. I'd much rather give Garza 4/50 than Tanaka 7/150 (or whatever he's going to get).

I do think Garza gets at least 4/56, probably 4/60 or even 5/70. If I were running the ship I wouldn't go over 4/60 or give him five years unless there's a team opt out. How about 4/56 with a 2M opt out, so 4/58 (or 5/70 if the option is taken).

i still say screw it.. if we are going to be on the hook for the luxury tax then go get both... paying the tax for one year might be worth it as Wells gives us back 18 mil after '14

Do we need both.. probably not but having Weaver, Wilson, Tanaka, Garza, Richards, Santiago, and possibly Mulder as options sets us up for a good run.

alternatively as said get more in the pen... or all of the above if we think it fits under the cap in '15.

Reading his entire chat, Cameron is high as hell on the Angels.

And he should be. The team was already due for a big bounce-back, and has improved already. Signing Garza takes it up another notch.

Cameron isn't high on Santiago as a starter. It makes me wonder if he could be a high quality reliever, even eventually the closer if Frieri is erratic. If that's the case, you don't even really need to get another reliever but after signing Garza, go with this pitching staff:

Rotation: Weaver, Wilson, Garza, Richards, Skaggs

Bullpen: Frieri, Santiago, Smith, Burnett, de la Rosa, Salas, Jepsen

Rotation depth: Santiago, Shoemaker, Blanton (if not released),

Bullpen depth: Kohn, Rasmus, Maronde, Rapada, Morin, Alvarez, Roth

I see Salas, Jepsen, and Kohn as somewhat interchangeable. Maronde might surpass them if he can get himself together, and Alvarez or Morin could rise quickly. Who knows, maybe Daniel Tillman will remember how to pitch and come back on the radar.

Regardless, that's not a bad pitching staff. Not a great one, but at best it could be good to very good, at worst just shy of average. The depth isn't great in the rotation, but it does give the Angels six viable starters and I think Shoemaker is a bit of a darkhorse and could surprise and be a solid #4 type.

i still say screw it.. if we are going to be on the hook for the luxury tax then go get both... paying the tax for one year might be worth it as Wells gives us back 18 mil after '14

Do we need both.. probably not but having Weaver, Wilson, Tanaka, Garza, Richards, Santiago, and possibly Mulder as options sets us up for a good run.

alternatively as said get more in the pen... or all of the above if we think it fits under the cap in '15.

I'm glad you're not GM. Not only is it enormously unrealistic to get both, but you're tying up a huge amount of money in only a handful of players for 3+ years - Pujols, Hamilton, Weaver, Wilson, Tanaka and Garza would make something like $120 million alone a year during that time.

Still wouldn't be happy with that but I could learn to live with it.

I don't understand where this 150M number came from. I don't think Tanaka will get that. 125 is my guess and I would prefer that.

I think most people are saying 150 including the posting fee, and you're saying 125 not including it. Tanaka will most likely get 130m + a 20m posting fee.

Still wouldn't be happy with that but I could learn to live with it.

I don't understand where this 150M number came from. I don't think Tanaka will get that. 125 is my guess and I would prefer that.

Cameron said 175 was the highest figure he had seen for Tanaka on his chat.

Is someone really going to pay him that much? I highly doubt it.