• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

A-Rod's lawyer says some tied to PEDs are 'god-like in Boston'

gotbeer

also, how much of a dirtbag is arod and his lawyer? no concept of the brotherhood of mlb players. that guy is going to sink a long way down and with noone to even pity him.

Colin Cowherd had A-Roid's lawyer on this morning. I had to go in for work, so I only caught the first few minutes. This guy is as much of a sewer dweller as A-Roid himself (hard to believe he would hire someone with the same level of character, I know). This guy believes he is skilled at muddying the water, but he came across as a total buffoon who is certain that he is really convincing. For instance, he is still selling the tired old line that A-Roid believed that this was nothing more than nutrition, that it didn't come out until much later that he was dealing PEDs. This lawyer really believes that we will buy that A-Roid found out along with the rest of us that this guy was dirty.

The lawyer also tried to advance the argument that because A-Roid has had subpar seasons the past three years, he had no reason to believe that he was taking PEDs because they didn't work - another totally lame statement. He totally ducked the question about A-Roid not testifying, as he was trying to discredit Selig for not doing. He had no meaningful reply when Cowherd pressed him about A-Roid storming out of the hearing, immediately running to the studio where a sympathetic sports broadcaster was on the air, and spilling his guts about nothing.

One of ESPN's legal analysts said that A-Roid's lawsuit is going to end quickly, and it isn't going to go well for him. He said that federal courts have shown a complete reluctance to overturn the rulings of arbitrators in cases like this, and that his argument about Selig not personally taking the stand isn't going anywhere either. When major companies get sued, or are suing someone else, it is the rare exception that the CEO will personally take the stand. The other part of the equation is that by being a member of the MLBPA, which ratified the current setup under baseball's collective bargaining agreement, A-Roid agreed to participate in, and abide by the findings of, this process he calls a "farce" because it didn't go his way.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

Colin Cowherd had A-Roid's lawyer on this morning. I had to go in for work, so I only caught the first few minutes. This guy is as much of a sewer dweller as A-Roid himself (hard to believe he would hire someone with the same level of character, I know). This guy believes he is skilled at muddying the water, but he came across as a total buffoon who is certain that he is really convincing. For instance, he is still selling the tired old line that A-Roid believed that this was nothing more than nutrition, that it didn't come out until much later that he was dealing PEDs. This lawyer really believes that we will buy that A-Roid found out along with the rest of us that this guy was dirty.

The lawyer also tried to advance the argument that because A-Roid has had subpar seasons the past three years, he had no reason to believe that he was taking PEDs because they didn't work - another totally lame statement. He totally ducked the question about A-Roid not testifying, as he was trying to discredit Selig for not doing. He had no meaningful reply when Cowherd pressed him about A-Roid storming out of the hearing, immediately running to the studio where a sympathetic sports broadcaster was on the air, and spilling his guts about nothing.

One of ESPN's legal analysts said that A-Roid's lawsuit is going to end quickly, and it isn't going to go well for him. He said that federal courts have shown a complete reluctance to overturn the rulings of arbitrators in cases like this, and that his argument about Selig not personally taking the stand isn't going anywhere either. When major companies get sued, or are suing someone else, it is the rare exception that the CEO will personally take the stand. The other part of the equation is that by being a member of the MLBPA, which ratified the current setup under baseball's collective bargaining agreement, A-Roid agreed to participate in, and abide by the findings of, this process he calls a "farce" because it didn't go his way.

I found the link to the interview on ESPN.com...   Tacopina's entire M.O. is apparently to try this as a typical defense trial and to attempt to smear everyone involved.  The problem is most of his arguments have to be tempered by the fact that Arod was guilty of all of the same things he is trying to pin on MLB... he can't really tear down MLB without tearing down his client.   The whole Bosch is a scumbag narrative hits a snag every time it's pointed out that it was Arod sought Bosch out first.   

It's going to be interesting to see how the Yankees go about dealing with this in ST.  I really think they would love to cut him regardless of the costs but they just can't take the cap hit this year..   

Edited by Inside Pitch

I found the link to the interview on ESPN.com...   Tacopina's entire M.O. is apparently to try this as a typical defense trial and to attempt to smear everyone involved.  The problem is most of his arguments have to be tempered by the fact that Arod was guilty of all of the same things he is trying to pin on MLB... he can't really tear down MLB without tearing down his client.   The whole Bosch is a scumbag narrative hits a snag every time it's pointed out that it was Arod sought Bosch out first.  

I will have to find the interview. I had to go inside just as Cowherd was beginning to box the guy in. I'm not a big Cowherd fan, but he said before this guy came on the air that it wasn't going to be a fluff interview and that tough questions would be asked. He was true to his word.

A-Roid's entire defense seems to boil down to this:

1. Everyone is lying but me.

2. I was taken advantage of by an unscrupulous man who deceived me.

3. Everyone involved in this should be punished except me.

4. Selig is out to get me.

Looks solid. I would go with it, Alex.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

So, assuming that the case isnt overturned as he's banned for the year. 

Who believes the Yanks will cut him and take the $60M hit (as he has two years left on his deal)?  Assuming the Yanks do cut him and eat the salary, does anyone believe another team will pick him up for the 2015 season or have we seen the last of A-Roid?

I can see A-Rod getting the Bonds treatment and no one signing him.

Who believes the Yanks will cut him and take the $60M hit (as he has two years left on his deal)?  Assuming the Yanks do cut him and eat the salary, does anyone believe another team will pick him up for the 2015 season or have we seen the last of A-Roid?

same here.  I think there is a very real chance of the Yanks cutting him prior t spring training.  No team will touch him after that. 

Despite my growing hatred for A-Rod, this thread is reminding me how much I loathe the Boston Red Sox. Guys like Napoli, Big Fatty, Lackey, and Pedroia just get under my skin. They are like the ultimate douchebags. 

I'm to the point where I think that testing positive only means you're an idiot. Only stupid PED users get caught. It's an idiot test rather than a drug test. Rodriguez never failed a test. So that Papi hasn't failed a test means squat. His rejuvenation strongly suggests otherwise. 

If this whole circus continues with the lawsuits and smear campaign, especially if Arod starts naming names.  

I can see Bud's last act in office, on the day he retires.  Dropping the nuclear bomb on Arod, and banning him for life.  With the blessing of the MLBPU.  

IMO any remaining scrap of hope A-Roid had for ever putting on an MLB uniform again sank beneath the waves when he sued both MLB and the MLBPA.

Maybe he can catch on with the Charleston River Dogs again.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

I just finished listening to the Joe Tacopina interview in its entirety. A-Roid has no prayer. You would have to be a total idiot to believe his defense.

Of course, if Red Sox are doing it too, I suppose that it's OK. Talk about weak attempts at deflection.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

I found it interesting that MLB players pay their union $65.00 per day.  Is this for 162 days?  That's a fair amount of bread.

Even if it wasn't.  $23,725 a year in union dues.  When the minimum salary is what, over $500,000 right now.  I don't know unions dues are like.  But 5% seems about right.