• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Tanaka asks to go to Majors, Rakutan asks him to stay.

Scott34

This is just stupid, go get Suk Min Yoon.

Yoon dealt with a shoulder injury in 2013, about which not much is known publicly.  Jee-ho Yoo of the Yonhap News Agency tells me the injury "seemed serious."  Yoon made 11 starts with a 4.16 ERA, as well as 19 relief appearances with a 3.60 mark.  Yoon's coaches asked him to close for the Kia Tigers in their time of need in August, prompting his move to the bullpen.  At any rate, Yoon's 172 1/3 innings in 2011 was a career-high, so 30 big league starts would be a new level for him.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/10/free-agent-profile-suk-min-yoon.html

Pass.

Might as well then just go with Santiago, Richards, and Skaggs in the 3-5 spots. 

It's still significantly better than Vargas, Blanton, and Hanson in those spots; although none of them has exceeded 160 innings in a season yet.

And if so, then Dipoto was stupid for not re-upping Williams in the utility/#5 spot, unless Shoemaker is ready to produce similar results to Williams? 

It would then point though to Pujols and Hamilton hitting like they are SUPPOSED TO.

Edited by Angel Oracle

The Angels need a starter for the middle of the rotation though, not a could-be reliever if he is healthy.

His stuff is that of a 3.  If he's healthy, I could see him putting up a 110-120 ERA+ as a starter.  So are you saying Garza doesn't have warts either?  Because he wasn't good in the AL last year and has serious injury concerns also.  Oh and Yoon will be at LEAST 50M cheaper.

Edited by Scott34

Garza has concerns but so does Tanaka. At least Garza has a history of MLB success. Tanaka doesn't. Yoon has the health concerns AND the questionable ability to pitch in the MLB. I respect your views and insight so for all I know he could be great but from my standpoint I don't see it at all.

Garza has concerns but so does Tanaka. At least Garza has a history of MLB success. Tanaka doesn't. Yoon has the health concerns AND the questionable ability to pitch in the MLB. I respect your views and insight so for all I know he could be great but from my standpoint I don't see it at all.

I get you.  It is totally a risk but there's 0% it ends up a GMJ/Wells/Pujols/all the bad contracts.  The potential reward is worth 10-15M I think.

Might as well then just go with Santiago, Richards, and Skaggs in the 3-5 spots.

It's still significantly better than Vargas, Blanton, and Hanson in those spots; although none of them has exceeded 160 innings in a season yet.

And if so, then Dipoto was stupid for not re-upping Williams in the utility/#5 spot, unless Shoemaker is ready to produce similar results to Williams?

I think that the plan is to go with Weaver, Wilson and the #3,#4,#5 spots will be done by committee from a pool of Skaggs, Richards, Santiago, Blanton and Shoemaker.

If the Yankees want to avoid the luxury tax, they're not signing Tanaka, if he gets posted. Not with the new rules. If they had forked over a $50+Million posting fee and he had signed a similar contract to Darvish and Matsuzaka (not being racist, but they are the only players who have this financial arrangement with the high posting fee to compare to) then they'd have gotten a 6 year, 60 million, 10M AAV contract to count against the CBT.

Now, with the posting fee capped at $20 M, they still will fork out the same kind of contract, except it's going to be 6 years and 90-100M, which is a $15-17M AAV.

Even with the savings from Cano, they still have a payroll north of $172M for 2014, plus the benefits that get factored in, plus at least five  arbitration contracts at $15M, plus league minimum guys plus 40 man roster guys plus what it costs for Tanaka and they are over the cap.

Their AAV payroll is not that far off from the real payroll, unlike the Angels.

A-Rod counts +1.5 M, Vernon Wells counts -.6 M, Texieira counts -.625 M, Sabathia counts +1.4 M, Ellsbury counts +.7, Soriano counts for -2M and Brendan Ryan counts +.5. That overall is about 1M greater. 

AT 173M, plus 14.8M for the five arbitration guys, plus 7 minimum contracts and fifteen minor league contracts around 100k a piece, that's around $5m plus the $10M they'd get for the benefits and they're already over the CBT. Adding Tanaka would mean that they'd be essentially paying double the $17M AAV, which doesn't seem like a good fit to me. The only way they get in on Tanaka is if they are able to void A-Rod's 27.5 M salary which I don't think they'll be able to do.

They signed Carlos Beltran, Brian McCann, and Jacoby Ellsbury to 10M+ contracts, which ate up all their room.