• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

$400 million???

Thomas

I think the Angels should offer 10 years with an opt out at 8 years, as someone suggested. I'd also give him a substantial raise or signing bonus right away. Something like this:

2014 (pre-arb) $5M

2015 (arb 1) $10M

2016 (arb 2) $15M

2017 (arb 3) $20M

2018 (FA) $25M

2019 (FA) $30M

2020 (FA) $30M

2021 (FA) $30M

2022 (FA) $35M

2023 (FA) $35M

That's 10/$235M or 8/$165M. Plus add in bonuses for MVPs etc.

The 12/$400M only makes sense if we're starting at 2018, with free agency, otherwise I just don't see how the numbers would work - that's an average of over $33 million a year, including one pre-arb and three arb years.

Did you miss the part about the opt out claus after year 7? It's kind of the most important part. There is no way he doesn't opt out in that case unless he shows significant decline.

no, I understood the premise but it's pointless because there was a lot of discourse for essentially a seven year deal. a seven year deal is at least viable, but not some contract language of a 20 year deal.

I applaud outside the box thinking, but this is a little too out there.

people also need to stop with this "it's mandatory that trout gets a raise" nonsense. it's a business, he's not some vacuum salesman due some sales bonus. trout even says his time will come, but people act like he's making peanuts. the business model has been set in place for many years and people want to negate the system because they think he'll leave.

$400 million is ridiculous and won't ever happen.

Never say never. I remember when the Angels busted the bank for Mark Langston, giving him a contract larger than any previously seen before. It was 5 years, $16 million. That contract was signed in 1990. $16 million in 1990 is worth about $28 million today, which is about how much per year the highest paid players make.

The biggest current pitcher contract is Justin Verlander at 7/$180 million, or $25.7 million a year. Adjusting for inflation, Langston would make $5.6 million a year, meaning baseball players are paid approximately five times what they were paid a couple decades ago.

That said, I think at some point the bubble has to burst. Baseball players will always make a lot of money, but this much money? I don't see it.

Trout isn't taking anything more than 8 years from the Angels. He has he opportunity to get two mega contracts in his career. He could sign an 8/$200MM deal now and sign a 10/$300MM deal in his early 30s. We're talking $500MM earned in his career on these two deals. That's far more than anything the Angels can offer him under one contract.

How about 17 years/$500 million to keep him a happy Angel for life.

Start with a $5 million cash signing bonus and $10 million for 2014, then gradually increase his salary. When Hamilton and his $25 million/year comes off the books, then the bigger payouts begin.

Pujols' contract will be history when Trout starts the second half of the deal.

1st eight years:

2014: $10 million

2015: $15 million

2016-17: $20M

2018-2019:  $25M 

2020-21: $30M

next nine years:

2022-23: $35M

2024-29: $36.42M

2030: $36.48 million

TOTAL, not counting bonus:  $500 million, guaranteed.

Trout could be in a tough spot. He may want a 10 year deal worth mega-millions but he may want that deal in another city. Time will tell.

The best thing Trout can do is sign a deal to lock him up until he's 28 or 29. Then he can test FA when he's going to start declining but is still most likely going to be one of the best players in baseball. 

I would go with the 17 years/$500 million offer. He'd be crazy not to take it. Guaranteed riches for life.

It would be an historic deal, without precedent, and affordable in the long run for the team. Make him an Angel for his entire career, then send him off to the Hall of Fame.

The first 7 years pay out $145 million. Very affordable. It's backloaded, so he would be richly rewarded for the ten years after that. 

You're got a once in a generation type player here. I'd hate to see a Yankee Hall of Famer named Trout.

They will likely raise the CBT, but who knows how much.

Someone in another thread made a great suggestion: Offer Trout a heavily front loaded 20 year contract, with an opt out clause after year 7. The first seven years can be worth $25 million each or so (plus a huge signing bonus), with the back half being worth something insignificant like $4-7 million. Trout gets a great insurance policy, he gets paid big dollars up front, has the opportunity to opt out and get a second huge pay day, while the Angels get big flexibility with regards the staying under the CBT.

That contract would represent only around a $13 million salary per year under the CBT rules.

I have suggested this several times.  The 20 year contract lowers the Salary Cap burden and Trout with an opt out year can still  go FA when he is 30.  

However, I really believe you could probably sign him with a Ave 20 million a season.  Remember next year he is only guaranteed 500K, and the year after would be only around 10+ million the third year he would get only  about 15 million in ARB.  So I believe we could sign him 8/160 to 170 million.  He turns 30 and signs one more mega deal.

no player of trouts talent is dumb enough to sign a 20 year contract. they are leaving a ton of money on the table if they play up to the level they expect those 20 years.

it makes no sense for the player. i actually think it's absurd in all aspects.....makes no sense to the player and if he does get injured or declines then it's a fail to the team. not to mention you're proposing double the longest contract ever (off the cusp, maybe someone has gone over 10 years) for a guy with a two year sample size.

I guess you didn't see the part of an opt out clause?????????

The purpose of the 20 year deal is to lower the salary cap commitment.  However, Trout could have an opt out clause after 8 years.  Hell give him an second opt out after 10 years as well.  This allows him to have the insurance of a big contract.  Plus allows him to go FA at the age of 30.

We are taliking about giving a kid that isn't even old enough to rent a car and has only played two seasons at the Major League level almost HALF A BILLION DOLLARS.

He is great player, but wow, that is a lot of money for one guy.

isn't he over 21?  I thought that was the age to rent a car.  I maybe mistaken.

Again, for the reading comprehension crowd, the idea is not a 20 year contract, it's essentially a 7 year contract via an opt out clause at the end of the 7th year. The first 7 years are worth big money $25 million+ per year, with the last thirteen years being worth a very small amount. This offers Trout extra security, and a pay check for at least 20 years, the ability to negotiate a second contract at age 29 for huge money, and it brings the AAV of the contract down to such a low level that the Angels don't have to seriously worry about its affect on the luxury tax.

If I was the Angels, I would set the opt out at 8 years.

There has to be a clause in the CBA to stop this sort of thing.  Hockey tried to do it 2-3 years back by tacking on 3 years at $300,000 per year for a player's 39, 40 and 41 years and it was shut down in a hurry.  Why wouldn't any team close to the cap just *always* do this to get around the AAV thing?  I would have thought this loophole would have been caught already . . . .

people also need to stop with this "it's mandatory that trout gets a raise" nonsense. it's a business, he's not some vacuum salesman due some sales bonus. trout even says his time will come, but people act like he's making peanuts. the business model has been set in place for many years and people want to negate the system because they think he'll leave.

agreed. and enough from all of "the sky is falling crowd" who think Trout's going to leave in four years if he isn't paid like a lottery winner this year or next.