• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

$400 million???

Thomas

It's unlikely Trout will get two mega contracts during his career. I can see the Angels giving him something like 10/300 but I think teams have wised up about giving ridiculous 10-year deals to free agents in their 30s. 

Robinson Cano disagrees.

They will likely raise the CBT, but who knows how much.

Someone in another thread made a great suggestion: Offer Trout a heavily front loaded 20 year contract, with an opt out clause after year 7. The first seven years can be worth $25 million each or so (plus a huge signing bonus), with the back half being worth something insignificant like $4-7 million. Trout gets a great insurance policy, he gets paid big dollars up front, has the opportunity to opt out and get a second huge pay day, while the Angels get big flexibility with regards the staying under the CBT.

That contract would represent only around a $13 million salary per year under the CBT rules.

no player of trouts talent is dumb enough to sign a 20 year contract. they are leaving a ton of money on the table if they play up to the level they expect those 20 years.

it makes no sense for the player. i actually think it's absurd in all aspects.....makes no sense to the player and if he does get injured or declines then it's a fail to the team. not to mention you're proposing double the longest contract ever (off the cusp, maybe someone has gone over 10 years) for a guy with a two year sample size.

no player of trouts talent is dumb enough to sign a 20 year contract. they are leaving a ton of money on the table if they play up to the level they expect those 20 years.

it makes no sense for the player. i actually think it's absurd in all aspects.....makes no sense to the player and if he does get injured or declines then it's a fail to the team. not to mention you're proposing double the longest contract ever (off the cusp, maybe someone has gone over 10 years) for a guy with a two year sample size.

I think Votto signed for 12 years with Cinci.

But I agree that 20 years will never happen.

lots of interesting comments in here.

you've given me plenty to think about when i succeed dipoto as gm in the next - wait, i probably shouldn't say anything more at this juncture.

Not only could Tank help with the actual contract negotiation I'm sure he could protect Trout's commercial contracts especially his Under-Armour advertising deal.

I would think the Angels could offer him something like 10/200 - 10/250, but they put an opt out clause at 8 years.  That give Trout the chance to get a new contract if he wants to at that time or if he ends up having injury problems, he has a 10 year guaranteed contract.

Edited by Jim B

and raise him to $3-5 million for 2014.

No more stinkin 5% raises!!!!!!!

I just wanted to comment on this part of what you wrote.  I couldn't agree more.  IMO, the Angels need to give him a raise not just for the amazing 2013 season he had, but they need to add on more to make up for last years insulting raise.

I would think the Angels could offer him something like 10/200 - 10/250, but they put an opt out clause at 8 years.  That give Trout the chance to get a new contract if he wants to at that time or if he ends up having injury problems, he has a 10 year guaranteed contract.

i'll take it under advisement.

Did you miss the part about the opt out claus after year 7? It's kind of the most important part. There is no way he doesn't opt out in that case unless he shows significant decline.

I think Votto signed for 12 years with Cinci.

But I agree that 20 years will never happen.

Again, for the reading comprehension crowd, the idea is not a 20 year contract, it's essentially a 7 year contract via an opt out clause at the end of the 7th year. The first 7 years are worth big money $25 million+ per year, with the last thirteen years being worth a very small amount. This offers Trout extra security, and a pay check for at least 20 years, the ability to negotiate a second contract at age 29 for huge money, and it brings the AAV of the contract down to such a low level that the Angels don't have to seriously worry about its affect on the luxury tax.

Again, for the reading comprehension crowd, the idea is not a 20 year contract, it's essentially a 7 year contract via an opt out clause at the end of the 7th year. The first 7 years are worth big money $25 million+ per year, with the last thirteen years being worth a very small amount. This offers Trout extra security, and a pay check for at least 20 years, the ability to negotiate a second contract at age 29 for huge money, and it brings the AAV of the contract down to such a low level that the Angels don't have to seriously worry about its affect on the luxury tax.

I thought it was a reasonable idea the first time, and still believe so. Interesting way to game the system.