• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

If Trumbo is traded for SP, C.J. Cron a possible replacement

Chuck

Yeah, I believe he'll be a .280-.290 guy in the big leagues and hit 20-25 HR, maybe top out in the low 30's. That's not bad. That's Billy Butler type good.

that would be great but Butler has a 9% walk rate and hit .336 in the minors.  We are setting the kid up for perceived failure if that becomes the expectation.  I actually thought Jorge Cantu was a better comp.  Not what most would like to hear, but he had a couple of nice seasons. 

that would be great but Butler has a 9% walk rate and hit .336 in the minors.  We are setting the kid up for perceived failure if that becomes the expectation.  I actually thought Jorge Cantu was a better comp.  Not what most would like to hear, but he had a couple of nice seasons. 

Well, I meant Billy Butler's production (HR, RBI), not so much his BA/OBP.

But I wouldn't be surprised if he improved his BA and OBP either.

Well, I meant Billy Butler's production (HR, RBI), not so much his BA/OBP.

But I wouldn't be surprised if he improved his BA and OBP either.

It's funny because most guys don't, but Cron showed in college that he could take a pitch so maybe there is some semblance of pitch recognition there. 

I couldn't give any less of a shit about AFL stats. Cron will get eaten alive in the bigs.

lol, thanks for the insight. You've really convinced me.

I remember you saying the same thing about Trumbo. I believe we'll get overall better production from Cron than Trumbo subtracting a few HR.

lol, thanks for the insight. You've really convinced me.

I remember you saying the same thing about Trumbo. I believe we'll get overall better production from Cron than Trumbo subtracting a few HR.

If you take Trumbo after his first full AA season and put him in the bigs, he would've gotten eaten alive too. 

• 4 months later...

Hypothetical: If Trumbo is traded for SP and there's a bidding war for Corey Hart's services, the Angels will not be able to replace Trumbo's bat in the lineup with the likes of Grant Green or JB Shuck.

Enter in C.J. Cron who I believe could a solid replacement at DH.

I wrote in another thread a few weeks back that Cron and Trumbo had strikingly similar campaigns in Double-A (Arkansas), a tough league, especially at home to provide big power numbers. Cron, while not a guy that walks a lot (much like Trumbo), doesn't strikeout a lot for a guy with his type of power.

I've spoken to two scouts and another gentlemen from this board who spoke to another opposing team's scout and they all shared the same thing, that Cron looked different in the AFL (not just his numbers, his swing and approach). Cron show a bit more lift in his swing and more patience in his approach at the plate, resulting in a .413/.467/.700 line, with 6 2B, 1 3B, 5 HR & 20 RBI in 20 games.

If we're going to get younger and see what our prospects can do, like we did with Calhoun this past season, and if Trumbo draws more interest in trades than Howie Kendrick, as well as money being an issue to replace the likes of Trumbo with a Hart or Morales for DH, Cron could be the guy to replace Trumbo in the lineup and bat 7th or 8th in the order...

RF Calhoun

SS Aybar

CF Trout

1B Pujols

LF Hamilton

2B Kendrick

3B Freese

DH Cron

C   Iannetta/Conger

I believe Cron will provide a higher BA in the big leagues and avoid the long slumps like Trumbo has battled the past three years, but hit 10 fewer home runs (25 HR, 30 max) in the big leagues.

Word up! 

bump.gif