• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Bourjos traded to Cardinals

SoWhat

That's the kind of reaction we're getting today. What people don't know is that Bourjos was not going to net us a quality arm. Period. He was NOT going to net us a 3B better than Freese either. Sorry, but Jimenez showed decent D at 3B this past season, but his plate discipline was shit and his BA/OBP went in the shitter once opposing pitchers exposed his inability to hit the breaking ball.

and the spec while has potential and is a good spec for the Angels horrible farm system is not a great spec for the Cards so it too had minimal value

I'm allowed to post whatever I like and have several times. More negative than positive I'm sure over the past four years. I happen to like the deal because....

A: We get a 3B we desperately needed.

B: Kole Calhoun is the clear starter now

If you believe that Freese is the 3B we desperately needed, then you are in for a huge disappointment

Referring to Rageous' post above:

How do you know that?  There are plenty of good players in the majors right now who hit for power but don't have the best on base percentage.  Mark Trumbo, Pedro Alvarez, Marlon Byrd, Dominic Brown, Alfonso Soriano, Brandon Moss, to name just a few. 

Edited by wopphil

Then don't f'ing trade him now if you're not going to get a like valued return. It's a stupid move plain and simple.

and go into the season without a 3B?

We upgraded a position from a position of strength.

Edited by Geoff

bourjos was not a 4th OF

you would play him over Calhoun?  i wouldnt, the number suggest we shouldnt so.. unless you mena he was 5th or worse, please tell me why you think he should start and who you would bench?

Given the assumption that Pujols is the starting 1B, which he claims to be healthy, that puts Trumbo at DH, with an OF of Hamilton, Trout, and Calhoun.. none of which i would play Borjoud over at this time.

Freese is 30, horrible defensively, and had a Callaspo-esque OPS last year.  It's probably an upgrade over what we've had at 3b the last few years but not by much and he certainly wasn't worth giving away one of our good trade chips who we needed to use as part of a package on a SP. 

Not to mention I have zero confidence in new hitters coming to this organization and actually performing better than they have in the past.  When's the last time that happened? Juan Rivera?

oh puleese Chuck. 3B is not a big problem here. We don't have great options there right now, but that is low on the priority list. Offense is NOT the issue this team needs to address. We made a marginal upgrade in a position that wasn't critical while trading low on a very good player. 

Edited by Geoff

What was the point?  It's going to be another 3rd place finish with this pitching staff and Mike Scioscia helping the other team win with his stupid in game swaps.

Edited by Geoff

Freese is 30, horrible defensively, and had a Callaspo-esque OPS last year.  It's probably an upgrade over what we've had at 3b the last few years but not by much and he certainly wasn't worth giving away one of our good trade chips who we needed to use as part of a package on a SP. 

Not to mention I have zero confidence in new hitters coming to this organization and actually performing better than they have in the past.  When's the last time that happened? Juan Rivera?

He'll likely help improve the offense a bit. That's it. He'll help make this defense worse, which is just spectacular since it was already bad to begin with. Dipoto better be trading for some pitchers who can strike batters out, because we don't want them putting the ball in play too much with these guys on the field

Grichuck is not a standout player. He is an outfielder, something the Angels have a surplus of, that is a low walk and high strikeout rate. He may have been a high rated prospect in the Angels organization but he is not a nationally ranked top 100 prospect. He didn't even get an honorable mention in Sickels 2013 top 150 prospects. Cowart was rated 68th.

So enough with the hand wringing as if the Angels didn't put together a deal that favors what they need just because Grichuk was added to the deal.

You do realize it is ok for people to disagree with you on this trade right?

Bourjos was a very fast OF that took bad routes and made up for it with speed.  He was an average to above bat that struck out a ton.  Despite blazing speed he had no clue how to steal bases.  Holding onto him does nothing.  His value wont increase on the bench or platooning with Calhoun.  Finally, Trout prefers playing CF so we should probably appease him a bit eh?  Freese is an upgrade at 3b at worst and a big upgrade at best.

The problem with this trade is dumping Grichuk for a worthless pitcher that probably wont even be with the team by July.

Edited by Geoff

I’m cool with the Bourjous and Freese trade.

But the Grichuk and Salas trade is a bit of Head scratcher.

I still believe Dipoto...hope he land us solid SP soon. Without getting gutted of course.

Edited by DB24

Wow...

My initial  reaction to the trade is somewhere in between total disbelief and Hate it. So one of the teams few trade pieces is gone and the pitching still sucks. I don't see how the Angels improved much if at all with this deal. Since when was 3B  a top priority? From what I remember the issues were having a 2 man rotation and a total lack of effective bullpen arms. This feels like the V-Dub trade all over. I'm not going toalt doom and gloom...yet, However this was not an ideal beginning to the offseason.

you would play him over Calhoun?  i wouldnt, the number suggest we shouldnt so.. unless you mena he was 5th or worse, please tell me why you think he should start and who you would bench?

Given the assumption that Pujols is the starting 1B, which he claims to be healthy, that puts Trumbo at DH, with an OF of Hamilton, Trout, and Calhoun.. none of which i would play Borjoud over at this time.

Damn straight I would. He's a better defender with a good bat when healthy. I would absolutely put him out there over Calhoun.