• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Rumor only: Indians acquire Trumbo for Kluber?

Scott34

Kluber's stats in 2013 were those of a solid #4, 3.85 ERA, 1.27 WHIP, 4/1 Ks/BBs, only 15 HRs allowed, albeit in just 24 starts.

I don't remember his delivery though, is it that high maintenance? Plus he sucked in part-time starting in 2012, 5.13 ERA and 1.50 WHIP.

Was 2013 an aberration, or a breakthrough?

Can he increase his innings pitched to 200 in 2014, having only gotten to as high as around 150 innings in pro ball?

There had better be a GOOD pitching prospect coming with him, even if not Salazar.

Bauer is almost finished as a future solid pitcher.

I'm disagreeing with a majority of the posters here AO and stating that Kluber would be a great trade for Trumbo. His cutter was strong in 2013 and he made some real improvements to his repetoire. Here are some links to read:

Two-seamer running in-out: http://www.fangraphs.com/not/corey-klubers-best-pitch-from-saturday-in-terms-of-splendor/

Discussion of his pitch repetoire including the two-seamer which he only started throwing over the last 1 1/2 years: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/qa-corey-klubers-repertoire-a-brief-history/

That 2 seamer did look Colon-esque with the movement.

His delivery didn't look too high maintenance in that video. 

His fastball sitting at 93-95, and with the off-speed offerings, does project significantly better than Vargas.  

His control is getting to be Colon-esque (33 BBs in 148 innings).

Although depending on what he can get, Vargas isn't a bad guy to have for #4/#5 starter.

Weaver, Wilson, Kluber, Vargas, and Richards may well get the job done, IF the defense improves and they can get one veteran solidifier for the back end of the pen.

For sure, that rotation >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> having Blanton and Hanson.

Then you can keep Bourjos and Kendrick, have Jimenez and Green split 3B, and have Hamilton and Calhoun split RF and DH.

I could roll with that.

Edited by Angel Oracle

Nothing significant to say really.  I just thinkt hat whoever the guy is, I don't see what he has to gain from this rumor other than publciicty.  If he's right and there is a trade, he'll be hounded for insider info and obviously it isn't fed on request like that, that's not how it works.  And if the trade doesn't end up going through, he'll basically be labeled as incarcerated bob for the rest of his existence whether that's fair or not.  

If I were fed that juicy piece of information, I wouldn't locked that up under lock and key because either ay he loses.  The only victory that can be had here is publicity and if that's the case it makes it awfully conspicuous that he'd be doing this now. 

Admittedly, part of me really wants this deal to go through because it'd be exciting and I like Kluber and Bauer both.

But I look at it like this.  This radio guy never gets insider info fed to him before.  Then he says he gets this tidbit from someone very high up in the Indians organization.  Then when it comes time to actually provide evidence, he has nothing and his Indians contact goes silent.  

In the likely event there is no trade this brings about two possibilities. 1-He's douche bag that made it up to get more followers on twitter and more listeners. 2-His CLE contact totally hung him out to dry and he looks like an idiot. 

He's already looking pretty stupid. 

• 8 months later...

btw, I wouldn't be too happy about this.  Kluber was decent last year but he's 27 and pretty 5th starter-y.

I fukkin hope not. 

can't imagine this is real.  seems like some Cleveland fan's fantasy.

I don't even see a prospect that would make me happy about this.  But again, doesn't look too legit.

I hope this is another Brown/Bautista type of rumor. The only arm I'd want from Cleveland is Salazar

OUCH. Dare I go on?

I wouldn't trust the source, but if the prospects are good than it makes some sense. Kluber's actually pretty decent - looks more like another Vargas type than a #5. Very good peripherals, decent ERA. Much cheaper than Vargas, too.

If the above are "Fs" then mine is "D." Still a poor assessment (Jason Vargas).

I wish we had a realistic General Manager simulator that we could see how all of us keyboard commandos would actually do. Of course it wouldn't take into account actual interpersonal and work pressures, but at least the decisions.

As said in the thread, I would have made this trade, but there are a couple doozies in the past that I was wrong about. I think I was one of the folks who didn't want to send that package of Kendrick, Wood, Mathis and Adenhart to Florida for Miguel Cabrera because Howie was a future batting champion and Wood was going to be a perennial 30 HR hitter. Man oh man.

OUCH. Dare I go on?

If the above are "Fs" then mine is "D." Still a poor assessment (Jason Vargas).

I meant 'I fukkin hope not' that it's just a rumor.   :)

Interestingly though, look how close Kluber's minor league numbers are to Matt Shoemakers.  I hope Matt follows the same path for next year.  

WHEW!!! Had to go through the entire thread to make sure I did not make some asinine prediction/ comment on this proposed deal.

OK -- MODERATORS -- SOME HELP HERE PLEASE!! 

Please back date the following  post and comment to November, 2013:

"I'd make this trade in a heat-beat. While I like Trumbo a lot, and he's a local guy and all, fact of the matter is we have too many 1B/ OF types on the roster now and REALLY need a quality starter. Trumbo is injury prone and may spend part of the 2014 season on the DL , while, Corey Kluber, pretty much a fifth starter type up to this season, is REALLY SET TO HAVE a BREAK OUT type season in 2104 so I say GET HIM NOW and beef up our relatively weak rotation."  Best case scenario, every one stays healthy and guys like KLUBER and Garrett Richards have break out type numbers."

Whoop de ****ing doo

At that time, Kluber was going into his age 28 season with a shitty track record. Nobody saw his breakout year coming. Bauer was a complete mess and lost a big chunk of his velocity. Have a pat on the back, pal

Edited by SoWhat

I think these bumps are great.  

You want to have a strong opinion about something?  Own it baby.  

I was way wrong about this and a boat load of other stuff.  I still wouldn't have made that trade.  He had a decent first full season in the majors at age 27.  No one could have predicted he'd do what he is this year or there would have been gm's lining up to try and pry him away.  

Even the very best of the guys that build baseball teams for a living get thrashed on trades sometimes.