• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Jon Lester..?

martinpa25

What about Dylan Bundy from Baltimore?? If Bal lets go of Roberts..they could be interested in Kendrick..what could we put together to get a top pitching prospect like Bundy?

They probably would want more than just Kendrick.

First of all I love Dylan Bundy.

Secondly, Bundy is still recovering from Tommy John Surgery and won't be ready to pitch until about mid season next year, making him a gamble.

Third, he is still just a prospect and one that has had a major surgery. His stock price is down right now but before his surgery he was the top pitching prospect in baseball and was noted as having a filthy repetoire of pitches.

Finally, Kendrick could net Bundy in my opinion if the Orioles were focusing on making a hard run in 2014. They have some good young pitchers (Gausman, Tillman, Britton, Chen, Matusz, et. al.) and could conceivably part with Dylan.

I'd be absolutely fine with this if Dipoto can acquire additional young arms through trade (Trumbo, Aybar, Bourjos, et. al., take your pick) so that the risk of acquiring Bundy is heavily mitigated so that it wouldn't compromise our pitching depth.

The type of arm Bundy has is top tier ace and if we can acquire him, so to speak, on the "cheap" by trading Kendrick I would be pretty ecstatic. The TMJ surgery is scary and we certainly have had previous bad experience (Madson) but Bundy would be controlled for a handful of seasons and has tremendous upside.

Lester is on the downside of his career. No thanks.

Yep, he's about to hit 30.  

He was really good through 2011, and then slumped badly in 2012 (1.38 WHIP and 4.82 ERA).

This season, he recovered solidly but still had a pretty high WHIP of 1.29.

He does do a solid job of keeping the ball in the park, especially pitching 50% of the time in skanky and decrepit Fenway.

He is also durable (maybe missing 3-4 starts tops in the past 6 years).

But, we already have one higher WHIP lefty who also does a solid job of keeping the ball in the park.   It would be very risky to have two of them, especially with both being age 30+ in 2014.

NO MORE AGE 30+ SLUGGERS OR STARTERS!   None at least for the next 5+ years, get Trout signed!

Edited by Angel Oracle

Weaver just turned 31. Any reason to worry?

we have 3/54 left with Weaver.  his recent season was about on par with Lester's best season.  If he becomes a FA and you can get him for 4/60 then you consider it.  Since he would become a FA after a declined option, I don't think boston would get compensation. 

That said, if he's becomes a FA, he'll get more than 4/60 and he won't be a FA anyway because his option is about market value and only a 1 year committment. 

we have 3/54 left with Weaver.  his recent season was about on par with Lester's best season.  If he becomes a FA and you can get him for 4/60 then you consider it.  Since he would become a FA after a declined option, I don't think boston would get compensation. 

That said, if he's becomes a FA, he'll get more than 4/60 and he won't be a FA anyway because his option is about market value and only a 1 year committment. 

Lester has given Boston 200+ innings the past 5 out of 6 seasons. Weaver can't do that anymore.

Lester has given Boston 200+ innings the past 5 out of 6 seasons. Weaver can't do that anymore.

ok.  are you mentioning that because you think lester would be worth more on the FA market?  Otherwise, the comparison to Weaver is pointless.  Jered is on our team for 3 more years, so what he gets us is what he gets us and has no bearing on what happens with Lester.  If you want to make this thread about Weaver not being an ace, you can dig up that old thread and add to that discussion.   

ok.  are you mentioning that because you think lester would be worth more on the FA market?  Otherwise, the comparison to Weaver is pointless.  Jered is on our team for 3 more years, so what he gets us is what he gets us and has no bearing on what happens with Lester.  If you want to make this thread about Weaver not being an ace, you can dig up that old thread and add to that discussion.   

My real point is to stay away from Lester. Like Weaver he's on the downside of his career.

Probably due to the fact that he isn't anywhere near his 2010/2011 season prime. Posted back to back 5.7 WAR seasons and hasn't sniffed 3 since. K/9 is dropping, HR/9 is rising and he hasn't hit 200 IP since 2011. His FIP and xFIP are very high as well. I love Weaver, but he isn't what he used to be. Still a top 15 pitcher most likely, but no longer considered "elite" imo.

Eh, Weaver has out performed xFIP and FIP his whole career. Those advanced stats claim that Blanton is a better pitcher than Weaver lol. I think it's pretty useless

Anyway, Weav would've thrown at least 200 innings if it wasn't for that freak injury in Texas. If you exclude that start in NY, he would've finished with an ERA under 3.00

I'll give him another year before taking away his title as the ace of the staff.