• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Sheriff: 12-year-old Fla. girl commits suicide after she was bullied online; charges possible

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/sheriff-12-year-old-fla-girl-commits-suicide-after-she-was-bullied-online-by-a-dozen-girls/2013/09/12/0a7aa918-1be1-11e3-80ac-96205cacb45a_story.html

LAKELAND, Fla. — A 12-year-old Florida girl committed suicide after she was bullied online by more than a dozen girls and a sheriff said Thursday that he is investigating whether he can file charges under Florida’s new law that covers cyber-bullying.

Polk County Sheriff Grady Judd said that Rebecca Ann Sedwick jumped to her death on Monday at an old cement business in Lakeland, a city between Tampa and Orlando. Investigators say the girl was despondent after others had posted hate messages about her online.

Sedwick was “absolutely terrorized on social media,” Judd said.

This is tragic and a sign of the world we live in. This is a tough one because you really can't hold 12 yr olds accountable. But kids are finding ways to turn the web into a weapon. How do you stop this? Maybe holding parents accountable. If you're going to give your kid a cell phone or computer, then you better know what they are doing on it at all times. You can't expect a preteen to be responsible. Ultimately with the current laws, this poor girl won't get any justice.

This is tragic and a sign of the world we live in. This is a tough one because you really can't hold 12 yr olds accountable. But kids are finding ways to turn the web into a weapon. How do you stop this? Maybe holding parents accountable. If you're going to give your kid a cell phone or computer, then you better know what they are doing on it at all times. You can't expect a preteen to be responsible. Ultimately with the current laws, this poor girl won't get any justice.

Having a daughter at about that age of my own, my heart goes out to the parents whether or not they are partially responsible. From what I understand, they had their daughter switch schools but apparently that wasn't enough to prevent this.

I agree with the gist of what you said, but I would not be opposed to the guilty party doing time in juvie even if it is a mere slap on the wrist.

The issue is parenting here. You have to make it clear to your kid that nothing can be this bad. There is no amount of bullying that can make you commit suicide. A lot of Kids don't have thick enough skin to be posting on the internet.

I think this is a comment on society that we live in.  That you have to have a thick skin to post on the internet.  

2e6.jpg

I think this is a comment on society that we live in.  That you have to have a thick skin to post on the internet.  

I would agree if it weren't for the fact that I've been going online for the last 16 or 17 years and have heard damn near everything possible in chatrooms and on messageboards.  The internet is the easiest way for people to act like tough guys, racists and so on.  I'm not on facebook or anything like that and I shudder to think what some kids go through when they can't even escape bullying in the real world by going online.   

The issue is parenting here. You have to make it clear to your kid that nothing can be this bad. There is no amount of bullying that can make you commit suicide. A lot of Kids don't have thick enough skin to be posting on the internet.

As someone who works with middle schoolers, I can tell you that no one is more fragile than a 12-14 year old girl. Don't blame the victim or her parents for not having thick enough skin. Belittling a person's insecurities and feelings does absolutely nothing helpful for them.