• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

moderately interesting comment re: Trout in Keith Law chat

405z06

JK (Chicago)

If you were in the Angels, would you just offer Trout 10/250 right now? He's going to make a ton in arb, and this way you are keeping him away from free agency while only locking him up through age 31. And that kind of money would be kind of hard to say no to, right?

Klaw
 (1:25 PM)

I'm not sure he'd take it. I've certainly heard enough stories of player discontent with Scioscia that I could see Trout saying screw it, I'll clean up in arbitration and go be a Dodger or a Yankee at age 26.

Edited by 405z06

I agree Law is overblowing it but I don't agree Trout and his agent would be idiots to pass on such a deal.  In his arbitration years Trout could (and should) set the record for 1st, 2nd and 3 year arbitration eligible players.  He could get 40M or more between those 3 years and when he hits FA we would likely see the biggest contract ever handed out.  Obviously a contract now is guaranteed money but if he's healthy Trout will have no worries financially and can decide where he plays before he even enters the prime of his career.

Edited by Catwhoshatinthehat

Wow, I have never heard that.  What I've heard is he is too good to the players.

There have been a few ex Angels hint at the managerial style not to their liking.  People discount it and forget about it, since they attribute it to bitter ex Angels.  But there is usually some truth behind it all.  How much, I don't know.

He and his agent would be idiotic (they are not posters here I hope) to not take such a deal. I think Law is overblowing it to get responses. Probably working too. 

Couldn't agree more James.  I am hard pressed to believe Trout would turn down $200,000,000 if it were actually offered to him.

I agree Law is overblowing it but I don't agree Trout and his agent would be idiots to pass on such a deal.  In his arbitration years Trout could (and should) set the record for 1st, 2nd and 3 year arbitration eligible players.  He could get 40M or more between those 3 years and when he hits FA we would likely see the biggest contract ever handed out.  Obviously a contract now is guaranteed money but if he's healthy Trout will have no worries financially and can decide where he plays before he even enters the prime of his career.

completely agree.  I think there's still a good chance Trout ends up being a lifelong Halo, but there's a much more realistic chance of him bolting than many fans realize or want to admit.

If his agent is smart he asks for multiple opt out clauses in order to ensure a new contract if his play warrants it. You dont turn that kind of contract this early in your career. Plenty of ways to structure the contract to maximize earnings potential down the line. People are acting like the Angels organization isn't dedicated to winning. Sosh has gone from one of the best managers to a cancer in a few short seasons, I don't buy it. 

There have been a few ex Angels hint at the managerial style not to their liking.  People discount it and forget about it, since they attribute it to bitter ex Angels.  But there is usually some truth behind it all.  How much, I don't know.

The only one I remember saying anything close to that was Naps. 

If his agent is smart he asks for multiple opt out clauses in order to ensure a new contract if his play warrants it. You dont turn that kind of contract this early in your career. Plenty of ways to structure the contract to maximize earnings potential down the line. People are acting like the Angels organization isn't dedicated to winning. Sosh has gone from one of the best managers to a cancer in a few short seasons, I don't buy it. 

they can be dedicated to winning all they want, but if they're loaded down with ugly contracts, players continue to underperform, and the minor league system is barren, it doesn't matter what their level of dedication is.

And by the way, it's being "dedicated winning" every year that got them into this mess, mortgaging the future to "win now" for the past few season, when the prudent thing would have been to rebuild.

and Rodney

and Trevor Bell.  And Torii Hunter in his last season here gave a quote saying "we all need to do better, and not just the players." And probably many other players we don't know or never heard about.  Fact is Keith law is a lot more connected to what's going than anyone on here.  Look, he could be full of shit here, but generally speaking, where there's smoke there's fire.  But if you're adamant about defending Scioscia, I guess you'll find a reason to dismiss anything.

You make it sound like a 10 year deal has been done before with a player like Trout and it hasn't.  A lot of guys who are young stars right now that have contracts either signed them real early in their careers (Longoria in year 1) or signed contracts through their arbitration years before signing bigger ones later (Votto).  The Angels gave Trout a minimal raise last year which supposedly didn't sit well.  Multiple opt out clauses I haven't even really ever heard much of but I haven't paid that much attention to the long contracts handed out.     

As far as the comment about the Angels and winning I made no such comment and agreed that Law is blowing it out of proportion.  He's a 'journalist' and sensationalism sells.  As far as being dedicated to winning and actually winning those are two different things.  I think the Angels are dedicated to winning and hope Trout plays his entire career here but right now the team is an overpaid underperforming roster that needs multiple pieces and quite a few guys to turn it around to compete. 

Edited by Catwhoshatinthehat

Yup.  It is a gamble on both sides.  You put out 10/$250, and suddenly your foot explodes, and you are stuck with a sub .800 OPS player for 8 more years.  Or you are in arb 1, and you run out a grounder, and pull a hamstring, then you get back and you get HBP and break your hand.  And you may never be the same player again.  

On the flip side, you stay healthy.  You are on pace to be the next Mantle when you hit FA'cy at 26.  10 year deal?  15 year deal?  Or more importantly for the player, you get to chose where to go.  Or you sign a 10 year deal now, and reach FA'cy when you are 32.  But you find out that you don't like the players, coaches, or city and miss mom and the gf back east.   

Also remember, it was the Angels that gave him the $50,000 raise last year.  He did make some comments about his displeasure, and that also may play into his descision.  

Remember how Torii said he owed it to the Angels to give them a break.  Then went all disrespected on them.

they can be dedicated to winning all they want, but if they're loaded down with ugly contracts, players continue to underperform, and the minor league system is barren, it doesn't matter what their level of dedication is.

And by the way, it's being "dedicated winning" every year that got them into this mess, mortgaging the future to "win now" for the past few season, when the prudent thing would have been to rebuild.

They aren't the mess that many claim they are as an organization. A few moves and they are right back in contention. We all have our opinions on some of the signings and trades but truth is they have been a bit unlucky at times. Some Angel fans are forgetting what it was like to have no hope every season.

really?  We know for a fact that the relationship between the Angels and Trout's agent is not good.

No we don't. His agent was unhappy with the money last year that doesn't mean the relationship is not good or that Trout is more likely to bolt. But of course there are those who are prone to hyperbolic interpretation. 

I take what all of these reporters and insiders say with a grain of salt

seems like they all saying the same things about sosh, dipoto, discontentment with the team, etc...and the same stories just get regurgitated throughout the media and on every website

not saying he is right or wrong, just don't buy into it

and Trevor Bell.  And Torii Hunter in his last season here gave a quote saying "we all need to do better, and not just the players." And probably many other players we don't know or never heard about.  Fact is Keith law is a lot more connected to what's going than anyone on here.  Look, he could be full of shit here, but generally speaking, where there's smoke there's fire.  But if you're adamant about defending Scioscia, I guess you'll find a reason to dismiss anything.

Lol at bringing up Trevor Bell. Also, I am not defending Sosh, I think his voice with this club may be stale indeed, I just dont believe he is a bad manager or a cancer. A few years back he was a players manager etc and now it is the opposite.