• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

moderately interesting comment re: Trout in Keith Law chat

405z06

Yup.  It is a gamble on both sides.  You put out 10/$250, and suddenly your foot explodes, and you are stuck with a sub .800 OPS player for 8 more years.  Or you are in arb 1, and you run out a grounder, and pull a hamstring, then you get back and you get HBP and break your hand.  And you may never be the same player again.  

On the flip side, you stay healthy.  You are on pace to be the next Mantle when you hit FA'cy at 26.  10 year deal?  15 year deal?  Or more importantly for the player, you get to chose where to go.  Or you sign a 10 year deal now, and reach FA'cy when you are 32.  But you find out that you don't like the players, coaches, or city and miss mom and the gf back east.   

Also remember, it was the Angels that gave him the $50,000 raise last year.  He did make some comments about his displeasure, and that also may play into his descision.  

Remember how Torii said he owed it to the Angels to give them a break.  Then went all disrespected on them.

Actually Trout did not complain. His agent made a comment, that's all. My guess is he would have said something similar even if they gave Trout substantially more. It still wouldn't have been enough as far as the agent is concerned. 

No we don't. His agent was unhappy with the money last year that doesn't mean the relationship is not good or that Trout is more likely to bolt. But of course there are those who are prone to hyperbolic interpretation. 

and you have no foundation to base your conclusion on either.  You believe the relationship is fine because you weally weally want it to be.  FACT - they absolutely stiffed Trout on his 2013 salary, prompting comments from both Trout and his agent.  FACT - they then moved Trout out of his preferred defensive position, which Trout and his agent made comments about.  They've also jerked him around in the batting order all season, some of his stats have taken a hit because of his teammates' poor play/production (runs scored, stolen bases), the team is once again missing the playoffs, and the future looks rather bleak.

So there's really nothing to base it on, LT?  Give me a break.

you were

Lol at bringing up Trevor Bell. Also, I am not defending Sosh, I think his voice with this club may be stale indeed, I just dont believe he is a bad manager or a cancer. A few years back he was a players manager etc and now it is the opposite. 

you were arguing that Rodney and Napoli were the only ones.  They weren't, that's my point.  Should Trevor Bell's comments be taken with a huge grain of salt, sure?  But you can't just randomly dismiss or forget the ones you don't like.

I have actually heard a number of different people, outside of this message board, comment that Trout hates Scioscia and hates playing for him.  Does anyone know if there is any truth whatsoever to that?  I can't see why he would hate Scioscia - Scioscia plays him everyday, and I have never seen the two get into it with one another.  But sometimes where there is smoke there is fire, and I can't help but wonder if there is some truth to that.

you were

you were arguing that Rodney and Napoli were the only ones.  They weren't, that's my point.  Should Trevor Bell's comments be taken with a huge grain of salt, sure?  But you can't just randomly dismiss or forget the ones you don't like.

No, I wasnt part of the "who has talked bad about the organization". I saw someone say it was one player and I stated a second. Trevor Bell wasn't even around enough to have a legitimate gripe. He never really produced here or else he would still be here. Other posters were discussing that exact topic within this thread. 

I have actually heard a number of different people, outside of this message board, comment that Trout hates Scioscia and hates playing for him.  Does anyone know if there is any truth whatsoever to that?  I can't see why he would hate Scioscia - Scioscia plays him everyday, and I have never seen the two get into it with one another.  But sometimes where there is smoke there is fire, and I can't help but wonder if there is some truth to that.

from who?

Trout is probably the one exception to this rule. When you've put up the best age 20-21 seasons of all time, it's pretty much clear he's the real deal. 

I don't question if he is the real deal. However, career ending injuries can happen at any point or worse yet a severe injury that limits his skill set. It happens quite often to athletes. 

No, I wasnt part of the "who has talked bad about the organization". I saw someone say it was one player and I stated a second. Trevor Bell wasn't even around enough to have a legitimate gripe. He never really produced here or else he would still be here. Other posters were discussing that exact topic within this thread. 

what about Torrii?  is his gripe legitimate?

by itself, I would agree Bell's comment should be tossed, but when you hear it from other players/sources, I think it gains merit.

Edited by WallyWorld

A lot can happen and probably will by the time Trout hits the FA market... but as of right now - it appears to me that the organization is very dysfunctional. The recent articles by Scott Miller and Jon Heyman were disconcerting.  I want to hope for the best - but anything can happen.

By the way, I would never hand out a ten year contract to any player. 

IMO, with Trout, you go for 6 years right now.  3 arb, 1 non arb, 2 years of FA'cy.  He's out by 28 which is time to either get another extension from Tdawg, I mean the Angels, or pursue free agency.  Angels will then have him for 8 years of his prime, which superstars have about 6-10 years of prime.  

what about Torrii?  is his gripe legitimate?

by itself, I would agree Bell's comment should be tossed, but when you hear it from other players/sources, I think it gains merit.

Torii never said he didnt like playing for Sosh. He wanted to return here so why would he want that if he disliked Sosh? What he said at the time is correct and still is. When a team is struggling everyone needs to llok in the mirror and step up, this includes the FO, Coaching staff and players. 

IMO, with Trout, you go for 6 years right now.  3 arb, 1 non arb, 2 years of FA'cy.  He's out by 28 which is time to either get another extension from Tdawg, I mean the Angels, or pursue free agency.  Angels will then have him for 8 years of his prime, which superstars have about 6-10 years of prime.  

This is probably exactly what will happen and it makes sense for all sides. 

Edited by James

I still want to know why we went cheap on Trout in 2013.   No matter what is said, it can't sit well to give a player of that accomplishment a measly raise.

Didn't Longoria make a lot more money in his 2nd season?

Longoria was signed on the cheap to a long term contract before he played a year in the MLB if I remember correctly.

and you have no foundation to base your conclusion on either.  You believe the relationship is fine because you weally weally want it to be.  FACT - they absolutely stiffed Trout on his 2013 salary, prompting comments from both Trout and his agent.  FACT - they then moved Trout out of his preferred defensive position, which Trout and his agent made comments about.  They've also jerked him around in the batting order all season, some of his stats have taken a hit because of his teammates' poor play/production (runs scored, stolen bases), the team is once again missing the playoffs, and the future looks rather bleak.

So there's really nothing to base it on, LT?  Give me a break.

Wait, so my conclusion, that your conclusion lacks foundation and is typical hyperbolic message board banter lacks foundation? We know that after less than a season in the big leagues, Trout's agent voiced that he felt the Angels underpaid Trout's value. My guess is, he would have said similar things if the Angels had paid Trout substantially more (and yes Wallyworld, that is pure speculation). Trout's only comments were benign and in response to questions from the press and he pretty much just set the situation aside. Yes, they moved Trout out of his preferred position, and rightfully so. It is about the best for the team right. Trout understood that as he has commented on several times. Would he prefer to play CF, sure. Is he upset about the move - not by any accounts that I have seen. Oh and LOL at him being jerked around the batting order. Are you f'n serious?

The future doesn't look as bleak as you like to paint it. 

Yes, there really is no foundation for your conclusion. 

I don't question if he is the real deal. However, career ending injuries can happen at any point or worse yet a severe injury that limits his skill set. It happens quite often to athletes. 

Good point. Personally, I'd be ok with them offering anywhere from 6-10 years to him. I would be devastated if Trout wasn't an Angel for life.