• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Any interest in Choo next year?

I've always liked him and wanted him for the halos. Maybe his obp would be a good influence on the rest of the lineup. I know the outfield is crowded but trading bourjos and trumbo would open up a spot for him. Calhoun could back up 1B for a hopefully healthy Pujols and Shuck would be the 4th OF. I know the offense doesn't need as much help as the pitching but I think bourjos and trumbo might be able to bring in a decent SP. Oh and Boras is his agent.

Choo is going to be expensive, and I think any and all FA money this offseason needs to be spent on pitching.  We already have an above average offense and that's with Pujols/Hamilton being terrible.  If they come back stronger next year, we're going to score a ton of runs with our lineup as is.  

Not when this team has seemingly limited resources and other holes, particularly on the pitching side, in desperate need of patching.

And Choo will cost yet another draft pick as well, and the Angels are no longer in line for a protected pick.

Edited by jshep

yeah, where does he play and who sits? trout, bourjos, trumbo, hamilton, calhoun + choo? someone will have to be traded.

I think it's pretty safe to say bourjos and/or Trumbo are going to be traded in the offseason. There's not a ton of pitching on the market and if the angels don't resign Vargas they're going to need to trade young guys with value. Howie and Aybar are owed too much to get back anyone elite by themselves. Bourjos isn't really playing right now anyways with mike's love affair with Shuck.

I would love to have Choo and then trade Trumbo and Bourjos for pitching. Unfortunately it's almost guaranteed the Reds will make Choo a qualifying offer in which case he will cost the Angels yet another draft pick. If the Angels are going that route, they need to sign a pitcher.

I would love to have Choo and then trade Trumbo and Bourjos for pitching. Unfortunately it's almost guaranteed the Reds will make Choo a qualifying offer in which case he will cost the Angels yet another draft pick. If the Angels are going that route, they need to sign a pitcher.

Who though? Garza? I'm not sure Garza is worth a pick either.

Edit- Actually I dont think Garza can be extended a qualifying offer since he was traded mid season. The point still stands though, the pitching market is thin. Losing a comp pick for Choo is worth it.

Edited by GoodTimesGoneBad

I've always liked Choo but would hate to see him come here and Hamilton (Hamilton - v.: to sign a big contract with a new team and then suck.).  That aside, we would have to clear room in the OF for him and that means Bourjos and Trumbo gone, and Calhoun back to the minors.  Can't see all three of those happening.

Which is why I'd rather they just keep their 1st round pick, re-sign Vargas, sign a reliever or two, and bolster the rotation via trade(s).

I think Bourjos and Trumbo can be traded anyway with Calhoun covering the LF/1B duties and someone like Grichuk emerging as the 4th outfielder.

I really would love to have Choo. He's a great, left-handed bat who gets on base and plays decent defense. I just think the Angels need to take a break from losing draft picks.

The last thing we need is another outfielder IMO. Hamilton and Trout aren't going anywhere, Trumbo/Bourjos are both decent players that might be traded for pitching although at the moment their values are low, and we also have Calhoun who is looking like he's ready for full time PT starting next year possibly. Oh yeah, and Shuck is a pretty solid 4th OF for us. Rather sign Garza, or trade Kendrick for pitching, and keep the draft pick

Guaranteed, due to amongst other things not requiring a draft pick to be lost, someone will sign Garza for 5 years/$90 million.

Given the scarcity of good SP available next year, that's why I'd like to see us lock up Vargas for two more years before he hits the market, see if we can get him for $11-12 million a year.

I'm a little afraid to see how much we're going to overpay Vargas this offseason. Anything more than 4/40 for him is an overpayment IMO. 

IMO, that's way too much for Vargas. Last year, only two pitchers (Zack G. and Sanchez) got more than three years and 33 million. Lohse got 3 years and 33 million after having a great year and he's had a much longer track record than Vargas.Vargas' career numbers aren't much better than Joe Saunders (I'm not saying I would want to replace Vargas with Saunders). 

Edited by AngelsAndRamsFan

IMO, that's way too much for Vargas. Last year, only two pitchers (Zack G. and Sanchez) got more than three years and 33 million. Lohse got 3 years and 33 million after having a great year and he's had a much longer track record than Vargas.Vargas' career numbers aren't much better than Joe Saunders (I'm not saying I would want to replace Vargas with Saunders). 

True, but in this market you're going to have to overpay because of the lack of SP talent. That's why I would prefer us to pursue pitching via trade rather than FA.

The last thing we need is another outfielder IMO. Hamilton and Trout aren't going anywhere, Trumbo/Bourjos are both decent players that might be traded for pitching although at the moment their values are low, and we also have Calhoun who is looking like he's ready for full time PT starting next year possibly. Oh yeah, and Shuck is a pretty solid 4th OF for us. Rather sign Garza, or trade Kendrick for pitching, and keep the draft pick

and what if the pick is protected? Then CIN gets a comp pick. Trade Howie and replace him with green? Lindsey? That's a huge drop off in production. Plus he won't bring back anything great unless he was packaged with some minor league talent that we don't have.