• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Eternal optimist

CTAngels44

I guess I am the eternal optimist. A bunch of secondary players along with a few starters have won 8 out of the last 9 games. I honestly think with our core healthy and a few upgrades in the pitching department that we can be contenders next year. Sorry for being optimistic, but I think that we can bounce back next year.

I am an optimist as well, but I also believe the team cannot be successful without a shift in the fundemental thinking of the organization.  250 million on Pujols and 125 million on Hamilton doesn't result in wins.  It's the 500k Trout, Jimenez, Calhoun, Green, Shuck, Frieri and Trumbo are making.  

Or more appropriately, it's the idea that a collection of a certain kind of player wins games, and that no matter how much money, for this team at this time, Pujols and Hamilton are NOT that type of player.

Hopefully this logic helps dictate the direction of the organization this winter. 

I am an optimist as well, but I also believe the team cannot be successful without a shift in the fundemental thinking of the organization.  250 million on Pujols and 125 million on Hamilton doesn't result in wins.  It's the 500k Trout, Jimenez, Calhoun, Green, Shuck, Frieri and Trumbo are making.  

Or more appropriately, it's the idea that a collection of a certain kind of player wins games, and that no matter how much money, for this team at this time, Pujols and Hamilton are NOT that type of player.

Hopefully this logic helps dictate the direction of the organization this winter. 

You do realize that during this hot streak that has CTAngels all optimistic is partly because of Hamilton. During this winning road trip he is hitting .375, 1.000 OPS.

They should have a better record... even considering disappointing seasons and injuries.  I laugh when people say they suck.... are a joke... etc.   They made some questionable decisions, but also had some bad luck.  They have a top 6 or 7 payroll, but they have a top 4 or 5 tv deal.  The Angels can easily find themselves in contention next year without drastic roster moves... and with Scioscia and Dipoto still employed by the club.  

Edited by ScottT

They don't have a collection of mediocre to bad players like a lot of bad teams. They have mostly good players and 5 disasters

Two can go from disasters to contributing easily (pujols and Hamilton)

Two have already been replaced (Hansen and Blanton) with further upgrades to come

The last still needs to be addressed (the pen)

Three upgrades would work

Four would be good

Five ideal.

Mancini,

You do realize that the Angels record is a far greater stick with which we measure a team's success than the recent 10 game stretch in which we partially give Josh Hamilton credit but conspiculously leave out the previous 120+ games in which he did little or nothing.

I'm talking about a greater, long term sense.  Not 10 games.  We don't plan our offseason moves around 10 game stretches, or at least I hope we don't.   

Mancini,

You do realize that the Angels record is a far greater stick with which we measure a team's success than the recent 10 game stretch in which we partially give Josh Hamilton credit but conspiculously leave out the previous 120+ games in which he did little or nothing.

I'm talking about a greater, long term sense.  Not 10 games.  We don't plan our offseason moves around 10 game stretches, or at least I hope we don't.   

You take these 10 games in consideration...as you do with the entire season. You want to take a look at these 10 games and see if changes were made that resulted into W's. Now we will see if there is something the team can work on or if this streak is just a fluke.

I guess I am the eternal optimist.  A bunch of secondary players along with  a few starters have won 8 out of the last 9 games.  I honestly think with our core healthy and a few upgrades in the pitching department that we can be contenders next year.  Sorry for being optimistic, but I think that we can bounce back next year.

Thanks....I am with you on the optimism.  It is nice to see others with the same perspective.

If I wanted to be a pessimist, I would just need to read some AW threads.

• If the Red Sox can quickly return to contention after a disappointing season, could the Angels rebound from this year's problems to contend in 2014?  Grantland's Jonah Keri thinks it would be "a gigantic long shot," given the Angels' deeper roster problems and a lack of minor league talent following several ill-advised trades of prospects, such as the Segura deal.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9626531/jonah-keri-ranks-mlb-teams

"minor league talent" and "contention" are not co-dependent. Look at the Mariners. While the team's minor league depth is unquestionably an issue, the question was if the team could contend in 2014, not "2014 and beyond". Of course they can compete next year, why the hell can't they? Pretty much everything that could have gone wrong in a season for a team has gone wrong for the Angels this year. With some pitching roster moves and a little luck (for a change) there is no reason they can't contend next year.

I think there needs to be a moratorium on calling the Greinke trade a blunder until we've seen how Segura comes back next year.  He has a .587 OPS since the ASB and his plate discipline is every bit as horrid as Aybar's.  His hot start looks a lot more like a fluke than a sudden ascent into stardom at this point.  

He also mentions Weaver's "injury issues."  One short DL stint last year for a back strain that he's shown no signs of having issue with since.  Unless lacking the ability to duck a line drive gracefully counts towards being injury prone, I'd say Weaver has been extremely durable in his career.  

I agree with tdawg.  A few additions on the pitching staff and this team is well equipped to compete in 2014.  It's those years beyond that are looking sketchy due to the black hole in the minors.