• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

MLB to expand instant replay in 2014

I think this is a pretty good summation of my issues with this challenge system idea. They should just be trying to get calls right, period. Not turning it into some sort of little game where a manager has to decide whether the call is JUST BAD ENOUGH to justify potentially using one of his challenges on, when who knows what's going to happen later on?

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/15/baseball-says-the-challenge-system-will-foster-baseballs-uniqueness-and-charm-baloney/

"I want ALL calls that are missed being corrected, not just some. I want baseball and its umpires working to make sure the calls are correct — not managers — because it is their responsibility to get calls right in the first place. I want a fifth ump in the booth who can watch plays on video in real time and call down to his crew-mates if a mistake is made. Short of that I want a guy in a control center in New York who can, effectively, do the same thing. The key is for umpires to get collaborative, constructive assistance in getting things right, not to be challenged — literally challenged — when they make a mistake.

Listen to your former boss, Mike Port, umpires, and vote this down. Save yourself from being stuck in the clubhouse watching on TV so you can alert your skipper when a call is blown, players, and vote this down too. Owners and Bud Selig? Drop this pure baloney about “uniqueness and charm” and either provide an actual, adult reason why this is the best system you could come up with or else drop it and go with something that isn’t so manifestly flawed."

This is seriously the worst ****ing way to implement instant replay. Instead of trying to emulate the NFL in 1987, why not make it easy and have a 5th umpire somewhere who can review video replay? Jesus Christ, I cannot stand Selig and this organization.

Seriously, the challenge system is really stupid.

Just put a 5th umpire in a booth somewhere with all the camera angles and technology, and give the crew chief an earpiece.

This. If umps on the ground didn't have a good view or it's a close call, they can point their finger up in the air to appeal to the replay booth. A well executed system would take no longer than a home plate umpire appealing a check swing to the 1st or 3rd base ump.

This sort of challenge seems like another excuse to drag out the length of the game and add more commercials.

Not a fan of the challenge system.  Do the teams have someone "in the booth" watching replays and then somehow contacts the Manager on the field to ask for a challenge before the next pitch?

Somebody needs to be watching every play, and then if it's close take another look and get it right.

Seriously, the challenge system is really stupid.

Just put a 5th umpire in a booth somewhere with all the camera angles and technology, and give the crew chief an earpiece.

Problem is, paying a 5th umpire.  But also having a setup in every stadium so that he can review it.  

It's easier to have one location with the most up to date equipment determining the call.  

And when you think about it.  There is a difference, between a guy 500 feet, looking at replays making a call, and a guy 3000 miles away, looking at replays making a call.  

I would actually think the guy 3000 miles away would be a better alternative.  Because if it's a 5th umpire, then that umpire may be on the field the next day making a make up call.  Also, a 5th umpire would mean you are contradicting your fellow umpire.  We know how that's one of those stupid unwritten rules.  

Managers will be allowed one challenge over the first six innings of a game and two from the seventh inning until the completion of the game. 

Although I don't agree with this  This could bring the game to a crawl.  And also be used as a tool to slow momentum.  

Also, how are they going to make it work.

Schuerholz said with a direct line of communication between the central office and the ballparks the expectation is that replays under the new system will take 1 minute, 15 seconds. Current replays average just over 3 minutes.

3 minutes for just fair or foul and homers.  Now you add a bunch of other stuff.  Plus you put in place the discussion of whether to review after the manager comes strolling out.  Could be 5 minutes + before the next play.