• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Trumbo support

shellback

it could be. But he'll get an offer. So will pedro alvarez. Thehre almost identical hitters.

Difference being, alvarez is on a good team so his weakness is showing far less. Teumbo, like everyone else on this team (sans trout) has their flaws magnified because of overall team performance.

Big difference is that Alvarez plays a premium position where as they put Trumbo where he can do the least damage on defense.

But their bats are very similar yes.

This team will likely do something stupid like trade Kendrick and keep Trumbo.   HR totals = big money, so Trumbo's pay rate will exceed what Howie is making sooner rather than later, while his value will fall short of what Kendrick delivers.   Best of all fans will still make excuses/blame coaches because well, Trumbo hit's HRs.

Actually, I'd like to see the team find out what they can get for both Kendrick and Trumbo. Once the big free agency signings (Cano) shake themselves out, there might be a market for a 2nd tier second baseman with a decent salary and a power-hitting first baseman/DH who doesn't get on base. Some team may even want to trade a frontline starter (or a ML-ready starter with frontline potential) for both.

During spring training, I said that he'd be in the minors before the end of the year.

Takes me back to the whole Dipoto walk the walk bit. For a SABR guy, he sure didnt take advantage of what was likely Trumbo's peak value after his performance this past season. He had to have saw Trumbo's lack of plate discipline concerning for future performance. This is what separates Beane from these pretenders. Edited by Shane

Takes me back to the whole Dipoto walk the walk bit. For a SABR guy, he sure didnt take advantage of what may have been Trumbo's peak value after his performance this past season. He had to have saw Trumbo's lack of plate discipline concerning for future performance. This is what separates Beane from these pretenders.

Or he got overruled by his owner. 

If Trumbo gets two strikes on him, it's over. He's one of my favorite Halos, but it's hard watching him going through these month-or-two-long slumps every year. I can't believe there is nothing any coach or anybody else that he knows that can point out the obvious flaws in his hitting. Or maybe they tell him and he just can't respond. Whatever the case, it sucks for everyone. 

Takes me back to the whole Dipoto walk the walk bit. For a SABR guy, he sure didnt take advantage of what was likely Trumbo's peak value after his performance this past season. He had to have saw Trumbo's lack of plate discipline concerning for future performance. This is what separates Beane from these pretenders.

Perhaps Arte or Scioscia wouldn't let Dipoto move Trumbo?

Chris Carter leads the Astros in home runs (27) and rbis and has the same OPS as Lowrie.

Of course he's putting up the same OPS as a below average 1B/really bad LF while Lowrie has been mostly a (defensively below average, granted) shortstop with some 2B mixed in. Lowrie has been the better player this year.

The Astros did also get Brad Peacock and Max Stassi in that trade though. Peacock has had a rough go of it in the majors, but was good in Triple-A after a rough 2012 in the minors. And Stassi was putting together his best pro season in AA before getting called up and hitting the concussion DL. So there might still be some value beyond Carter in that deal for the Astros.

Edited by jshep

Perhaps Arte or Scioscia wouldn't let Dipoto move Trumbo?

From what I hear Dipoto likes him (too?). I haven't actually heard anything about Scioscia liking him or Arte for that matter. I haven't seen any direct quotes from Dipoto saying as much but I'm hearing it on twitter from the same guys who attribute the Hamilton and Pujols moves to Arte. I think it's unfair only to believe those writers are credible only when blaming people other than JD. If these writers are correct then JD's love of Trumbo is puzzling to me. Most of the SABR guys were down on Trumbo even after his rookie season and almost all saw his hot start to last season as a fluke well before he took his post ASB slide. His plate discipline seemed to return to career norms after April and his BABIP was really high. My only explanation is Dipoto says that to pump up his trade value. Unfortunately that only works if you actually trade the guy.

Also I think it's funny that people suggest Scioscia loves Trumbo (especially now that he is terrible). I remember his rookie season when everyone complained so much about how Scioscia was keeping him down in the lineup because he hated him because he wasn't a slap happy middle infielder and those are the only players Mike likes. There was a thread about how MS cost Trumbo the Angels rookie HR record when he was chasing Salmon by batting Trumbo 7th. Last season MS held Trumbo back by jerking him around in the field too much. It's funny how Scioscia only likes bad players and hates the good ones and then as soon as the good ones turn bad he loves them again.

Edited by eaterfan

From what I hear Dipoto likes him (too?). I haven't actually heard anything about Scioscia liking him or Arte for that matter. I haven't seen any direct quotes from Dipoto saying as much but I'm hearing it on twitter from the same guys who attribute the Hamilton and Pujols moves to Arte. I think it's unfair only to believe those writers are credible only when blaming people other than JD. If these writers are correct then JD's love of Trumbo is puzzling to me. Most of the SABR guys were down on Trumbo even after his rookie season and almost all saw his hot start to last season as a fluke well before he took his post ASB slide. His plate discipline seemed to return to career norms after April and his BABIP was really high. My only explanation is Dipoto says that to pump up his trade value. Unfortunately that only works if you actually trade the guy.

Also I think it's funny that people suggest Scioscia loves Trumbo (especially now that he is terrible). I remember his rookie season when everyone complained so much about how Scioscia was keeping him down in the lineup because he hated him because he wasn't a slap happy middle infielder and those are the only players Mike likes. There was a thread about how MS cost Trumbo the Angels rookie HR record when he was chasing Salmon by batting Trumbo 7th. Last season MS held Trumbo back by jerking him around in the field too much. It's funny how Scioscia only likes bad players and hates the good ones and then as soon as the good ones turn bad he loves them again.

Back in his rookie season, Trumbo was losing playing time to worse players like Wells and Abreu but he was a rookie and even bigger factor is that he seemed to have much more potential.

2 years later, everyone has seen Trumbo for what he is and even though he is an above average player, there is a better player in Calhoun.