• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Is anyone worried....

Trout is likely to set record money through his arbitration years. I could easily see him testing the free agency market.

Your forgetting about the risks of year to year contracts.  Yes, Trout will make a lot of money in his arbritration years, but they are year to year.  And any smart athlete knows they are one injury away from unemployment.  Trout will not turn down a ten year mega deal (170 million plus) from the Angels just to wait and see what happens four years later.  Ten year guarantee is huge!

I think the idea that players want to "go home" to play when they become a FA is overblown and doesn't really happen all that often.  It usually just comes down to money with rare exceptions.

I would be monumentally disappointed if the Angels did not lock him up, but as all of you fans know - that's just something that's out of our control.  So... why worry about it?  I am enjoying the time we have with him right now and thinking about the possibility of his leaving is just not worth the energy.

Your forgetting about the risks of year to year contracts.  Yes, Trout will make a lot of money in his arbritration years, but they are year to year.  And any smart athlete knows they are one injury away from unemployment.  Trout will not turn down a ten year mega deal (170 million plus) from the Angels just to wait and see what happens four years later.  Ten year guarantee is huge!

Angels should offer $180M or so but over longer -- 15 years -- with a huge portion of that ($40M or more) paid in year one.  As far as the luxury tax goes, that's based on average annual value, but a big payday right up front would be hard to turn down.

Your forgetting about the risks of year to year contracts. Yes, Trout will make a lot of money in his arbritration years, but they are year to year. And any smart athlete knows they are one injury away from unemployment. Trout will not turn down a ten year mega deal (170 million plus) from the Angels just to wait and see what happens four years later. Ten year guarantee is huge!

No way Trout accepts a deal that buys out 6 prime years of FA for only $120ish.

Medicine has improved. What "freak" injury would force him to get a non-baseball playing job? Highly improbable.

Medicine has improved. What "freak" injury would force him to get a non-baseball playing job? Highly improbable.

Skiing, motorcycles, pilot training, auto racing, bicycle accident, a jealous woman, too many hamburgers, cruise line accident, golf ball to the forehead from Chuck, New Jersey mafia hit, earthquake accident in L.A., tornado while in Kansas City, Osama #2 bombs Yankee stadium while he is there, asteroid strike, tanning accident, North Korea kidnapping, drive by shooting mistake, bad stadium food (very bad food), rock concert explosion, space travel, hot air balloon failure, lion escape while at the zoo, mud wrestling, UFC boxing, carnival ride failure, fight with Jerry Dipoto and Scott Servais, shark encounter while scuba diving, ?.

Skiing, motorcycles, pilot training, auto racing, bicycle accident, a jealous woman, too many hamburgers, cruise line accident, golf ball to the forehead from Chuck, New Jersey mafia hit, earthquake accident in L.A., tornado while in Kansas City, Osama #2 bombs Yankee stadium while he is there, asteroid strike, tanning accident, North Korea kidnapping, drive by shooting mistake, bad stadium food (very bad food), rock concert explosion, space travel, hot air balloon failure, lion escape while at the zoo, mud wrestling, UFC boxing, carnival ride failure, fight with Jerry Dipoto and Scott Servais, shark encounter while scuba diving, ?.

Another Hurricane Sandy, dirty bomb, the Mayan Apocalypse (the Mayans did not know about leap years), World War III, tsunamis, sky diving accident, hang gliding accident, West Nile disease, bird flu, drone strike, choking on a Subway sammy, grilling accident, Sharknado, Sharknado II...

I would make it  200 million for 15 years and front load it.  The average would be  13.3 million and make it easier for Angels to stay under salary cap.

Then I would pay 170 the first ten years.  30 million for the last five.  Then allow Trout to have an opt out after ten years.  Basically we would really be offering 170 over 10 season as Trout would no doubt opt out, but in regards to cap space it is only 13.3 mil.  

Trout would accept that. Because he is only guaranteed 500 K next year.  Best guess is about 10 million in first year of arb.  15 million in second year of arb. and 18 million in last year of arb.  That is 43.5 million for the next four years.  With my hypothetical contract, Trout would then have 127 million over the next six years which would average over 21 million.  

Can he get more in FA.  Yes, but he would have to wait four long years to get it.  That is the incentive for him to sign now and get it guaranteed even though it would be less if than if he waited.

People who think what's happening now has nothing to do with whether or not Trout stays long term, have their heads in the sand.

That is what was said about Weaver too.  Things can change.  Who knows where this team will be at in a couple of years.  They could be worse, better, the same. 

Trout may leave, he may not.  I just want the team to get better regardless.

Am I worried about what may happen in 4 years while the team is playing on the east coast right now?  No.  Trout has proven last year was no fluke and I think after this season is a great time to make him an offer to buy out his remaining years of club control plus years beyond that.  I hope the Angels offer a long term contract in the next year or two and if it doesn't happen then you cross the "do we trade him if he isn't going to sign" bridge in 3+ years.  A lot can happen between now and then.   

I'm still waiting for any member of the press to ask Mike Trout this question. "Do you envision yourself playing in an Angels uniform for your entire baseball career?"

I would love to hear what he has to say about that.

I'm sure he wouldn't really answer it. He would probably say he likes playing here and he likes the organization. He would probably give a safe/PC answer.     

That is what was said about Weaver too. Things can change. Who knows where this team will be at in a couple of years. They could be worse, better, the same.

Trout may leave, he may not. I just want the team to get better regardless.

We have to stop using Weaver as a comparison. Weaver wanted to stay home and admitted that he left a lot of money on the table. This is not Trout's hometown or even his team, its Albert's team and Trout won't leave any money on the table.

Am I worried about what may happen in 4 years while the team is playing on the east coast right now?  No.  Trout has proven last year was no fluke and I think after this season is a great time to make him an offer to buy out his remaining years of club control plus years beyond that.  I hope the Angels offer a long term contract in the next year or two and if it doesn't happen then you cross the "do we trade him if he isn't going to sign" bridge in 3+ years.  A lot can happen between now and then.   

Like for example Arte can say, "hey Mike, look I really want you to stay.  As a token of my sincerity, I am blowing out Dipoto."

Like for example Arte can say, "hey Mike, look I really want you to stay. As a token of my sincerity, I am blowing out Dipoto."

If he really wants Mike to stay he needs to blow out Albert and Josh. It must be frustrating for Trout to bust his ass every game for minimum wage while these two guys are penciling in their 1 for 4 with two strikeouts.

I would make it  200 million for 15 years and front load it.  The average would be  13.3 million and make it easier for Angels to stay under salary cap.

Then I would pay 170 the first ten years.  30 million for the last five.  Then allow Trout to have an opt out after ten years.  Basically we would really be offering 170 over 10 season as Trout would no doubt opt out, but in regards to cap space it is only 13.3 mil.  

Salary cap? Seriously?

I think 5yrs/90-100M will get it done in the off season. That will buyout 3 arbitration years plus one additional year. This works out for both the team and Trout. I thing any longer would be unwise for the team.  I don't believe he'll get more than $60M total through three years of arbitration.

Of course you can always workout a extension down the road a bit.

I don't know you are all worried about Trout leaving, which he will. Who, with the talent that he has will want to stay around. It will be at least 3 years before this organization has any resemblance of a winning team. As far as your present owner is concerned, he is probably an excellent businessman, but sure knows nothing about baseball. Sorry Magic is not available. He will want out before then. That's what they have Lawyers for. You should concentrate on finding some pitching.