• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Kole Calhoun Kole Calhoun Kole Calhoun

I think in the long term, Bourjos is better for the team.  Trumbo only does one thing, he hits homeruns.  He can't hit for average, his OBP is nothing special, he is slow on the bases and he is average in the field.  Bourjos gives exceptional defense, better average, better OBP and better speed on the bases.

I actually think Trumbo is much better in the field than he gets credit for.  The dude has not had a "home" in the field for 2 years.  He was a solid 1st baseman in 2011 (and was still developing).  Then he got kicked to 3rd, then to RF, then to LF, then back to 1B, etc etc etc.  I don't think he's a good utility guy (someone you can just throw into any position and he'll be fine).   I really think if he was given a position to stick with, he'd be more than solid. 

I really want to see Bourjos lead off, Trout 2nd and Calhoun hitting third.

Calhoun's patience will give Trout much more chances to steal.

And in 2014, more runners for Pujols to drive in. 

If Richards can be as he's been the past 3 starts, Vargas is re-signed, and they can somehow find a #5 starter, then I'd like to keep them all for the 5 positions (3 OF, 1B, DH). 

Hackilton for 110 starts (sitting against all lefties), Trumbo for 120 starts (sitting against tougher righties), Calhoun and Bourjos for 135 starts each, Pujols for 150 starts, and Trout for 160 starts

That = 810 starts over 5 positions = 162 starts/position. 

Maximize the defense, and maximize Hackilton's and Trumbo's hitting.   Forget Hackilton's salary for 110 starts, it's already a sunk cost.    

Then after 2014, re-assess and see if a trade should then be made with the one excess starter.

wanted to see the guy come up to the bigs last year.

he was buried in the minors due to another outstanding organizational decision.

maybe at this point we can see how many different positions he can play, how many different places he can hit in the order  and how much inconsistency in playing time he can receive.

because, of course, he is a rookie and we have other quality tenured major leaugers to play

like cowgill and shuck.

Not that I think Calhoun didn't deserve a chance, but what's wrong with Cowgill or Shuck?  Both were reasonably early picks (5th and 6th rounds) that showed some promise in the minor leagues.  Their minor league numbers are all pretty similar until this year, except for Calhoun's power.  Cowgill hit .296 in the minors this year and .354 in 2011 (in nearly 400 at bats).  Shuck hasn't hit under .290 in 6 years in the minors.  Calhoun has been impressive and deserved a shot but why bash on those two?  They won't turn into superstars but they could both end up being capable major leaguers.

I said, before the season and during ST that Trumbo and PB should be traded for BP help (everyone knew the BP was garbage before the season ever started) and Calhoun should stay up with the big club.

Man, was I ever lit into about it.

Well, that's still a bad idea. So....

I think in the long term, Bourjos is better for the team.  Trumbo only does one thing, he hits homeruns.  He can't hit for average, his OBP is nothing special, he is slow on the bases and he is average in the field.  Bourjos gives exceptional defense, better average, better OBP and better speed on the bases.

This is actually a great debate and could go either way. Personally I don't think we lose that much defense with Calhoun in the outfield. Trumbo is a good utility player and DH. He's second on the club in doubles and first in HR's. Leads the club in rbi's w/Trout and second in runs scored.

At the end of the day ... the team with the highest score wins.

So you'd trade our most valuable trade chips on relievers who are crapshoots? Glad you're not the GM.

I will amend that to pitching, not just BP...and I think we could have received a pretty nice haul of pitching, including prospects, for those two. They were sure as hell worth a lot more back then, than they are now.

I will amend that to pitching, not just BP...and I think we could have received a pretty nice haul of pitching, including prospects, for those two. They were sure as hell worth a lot more back then, than they are now.

I agree. I thought you were talking about strictly BP arms for those two

maybe at this point we can see how many different positions he can play, how many different places he can hit in the order  and how much inconsistency in playing time he can receive.

because, of course, he is a rookie and we have other quality tenured major leaugers to play

like cowgill and shuck.

enjoy the game 8/9/13

Bottom line is Calhoun. People freaked around here when any talk of moving both PB and Trumbo was mentioned.

Who is going to be the 4th OF??

I think it was only Chuck and I, at the time, who believed that Kole was ever going to be decent, and both Chuck and I thought he was ready back in ST.

Bottom line is Calhoun. People freaked around here when any talk of moving both PB and Trumbo was mentioned.

I think it was only Chuck and I, at the time, who believed that Kole was ever going to be decent, and both Chuck and I thought he was ready back in ST.

I think most people believed he was ready, but never anticipated Hamilton coming to town.

I definitely had Calhoun in all my preseason lineups and never expected or wanted Hamilton in an Angel uniform.

like cowgill and shuck.

Don't forget he was injured early this year, and out for quite a while.

And you and Chuck remembered he was injured too, right?

I would hate to see PB go, but your are right.  We desperatelly need pitching.  If we can get a quality starting pitcher (Vargas type) for PB or Trumbo than we have to make the move.  However, I think we should test to see what Calhoun can bring us as well.  He shouldn't be untouchable.  

I would hate to see PB go, but your are right. We desperatelly need pitching. If we can get a quality starting pitcher (Vargas type) for PB or Trumbo than we have to make the move. However, I think we should test to see what Calhoun can bring us as well. He shouldn't be untouchable.

No, Calhoun needs to be untouchable. You can't trade away left-handed Trout

Both Calhoun and Cowgill look good.

We're loaded in the OF.

Bourjos may be trade bait -- hope not because I really like the guy........

but look to 2014 and we've got a log jam in the OF and a real need for starting pitching........

Trumbo/ Bourjos trade bait?

Yup, Cowgill is someone that 3 different teams gave up on way too early and it really baffles me.  Superb defender, good arm, speedy, and had a career minor league average over 290 and OPS over 840.  What were teams not seeing other than not getting results while giving him less than 100 at bats?

He's reminded me of a poor man's Peter Bourjos so far... except Cowgill actually knows how to run the bases >_<.

y'all sound like you'd like to trade petey and trumbo and keep shuck and cowgill?

Personally, nope.  I love PB and Trumbo - they're both home grown, club controlled guys with great attitudes and character, so I would prefer to trade Cowgill and/or Shuck.  But realistically, Trumbo and Bourjos need to at least be explored as trade options.  Our bullpen (and staff in general) is a total joke.  We can survive with an outfield of Trout/Hamilton/Calhoun/Shuck/Cowgill if necessary, but I don't think we can survive with the current bullpen.