• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Enjoy Trout While He's Still Here

ghoetke

Call me stupid but I doubt he would ever give that much of his FA away for 15-17 mil..  There isn't agent alive that wouldn't point at the 8 year 120 million dollar deal Elvis Adrus just got from the Rangers that's averaging 15 mil per and scoff at the offer.  Ryan Howard was making 15 mil per year in his 4th year in the league -- in 2009.   He was a ROY in his first season, and the NL MVP in his second.  Posey likewise was the ROY and then the MVP in his second season full season.   Those two are the points of reference IMO.  I would love it if the Angels could work a Evan Longoria deal with Trout, but the state of the team and his East coast ties, seem like legit issues.  

Ten years at 15-17 seems like wishful thinking and while it wouldn't be low-balling, it would be asking a lot of him to give away 5 years of free agency for that.  Just isn't realistic IMO.

10 years is a long, long time. To have that guaranteed to the age of 32 where he could still get a 2nd huge deal would be very, very difficult to pass up.

I wish Trout was traded already, he doesnt belong here. Hes a superstar wasting away his talent on a .440 team, being chained to the bases and surrounded by prima donnoa role models and bad coaching staff. This team has no chance of being a winning ball club for years unless we do what is needed to be done and roll the dice with some freshly imported prospects.

Guys against trading him can have fun watching him hit HRs in games were we lose 9-4. The best game of the year so far for this team was the one where Schuck, Calhoun and the other rookies won it for us. The A's and Rangers get to see this quite often with all their callups, and the Rays have proven that their winning is not a fluke. Youth is the new way to win in post steroid era, and we have one big chance to get it.

Why are you fighting with yourself in this post?

I really hope Arte opens his bank account and signs perhaps one of the best players in baseball history to a long-term deal -- more than what he gave the Albert Pujols -- this offseason to end this conversation.

If this team is not willing to offer more than what they offered Albert Pujols I truly question the sanity of current leadership. We should not have to wait until a player is 30 to offer massive deals in the post amphedemine era.

Dead wrong on the massive deal statement. No way is he getting Pujols type money at such a young age. The point of signing him to a big contract early is to save money.

I wish Trout was traded already, he doesnt belong here. Hes a superstar wasting away his talent on a .440 team, being chained to the bases and surrounded by prima donnoa role models and bad coaching staff. This team has no chance of being a winning ball club for years unless we do what is needed to be done and roll the dice with some freshly imported prospects.

Guys against trading him can have fun watching him hit HRs in games were we lose 9-4. The best game of the year so far for this team was the one where Schuck, Calhoun and the other rookies won it for us. The A's and Rangers get to see this quite often with all their callups, and the Rays have proven that their winning is not a fluke. Youth is the new way to win in post steroid era, and we have one big chance to get it.

Ummm...... Okaaaay.

Dead wrong on the massive deal statement. No way is he getting Pujols type money at such a young age. The point of signing him to a big contract early is to save money.

No the point of signing him early is so he doesn't have any chance at hitting FA. Give him whatever contract he wants. 

There is no doubt the Angels would love to lock this kid up. The magic question is when ... will they wait another season?

Dipoto has already managed to rub his agent the wrong way ... which could end up costing the team more money.

Here's the thing about rubbing his agent the wrong way.

His agent gets paid when trout does. His agent wanted to cash in as much for himself as he did for trout.

Just about every first year player knows they have to wait. Its a business. How often have we heard an agent complain to the media about a first year player not getting a big bump?

Trout may very well be pissed, who knows. That said, I'm pretty sure the older guys he's been around for two yearsnow (not to mention all the guys he's talked to from other teams) have let him know they had to wait too.

I personally think that story got blown out of proportion, and his agent is at fault, not the team. (And I'm not saying it to defend the team). I think his agent was more interested in buying a new car than 'taking care of' trout.

Pujols had a grudge against st louis for waiting so long to offer him a contract. The reason was because for years he was a beast there, and he was being paid well below his market value.

That's because his agent took the first low ball offer that st lou made, which 'underpaid' pujols (per the market), but made his agent very rich.

I think trouts agent was doing the same. Lets say the angels said 'here you go kid, 120 million over 7 years! We'll buy out your pre arb years and then some!'

3 years from now, trout is making less than a bunch of other guys and is pissed because he's locked into it.

But his agent just made 12 million.

Just my two cents.

You should only give Albert Pujols money if you are more than 30?

Totally and absolutely disagree with your entire premise. You obviously project out a contract with numbers he likely gets in arbitration years 4-6 of his career. I have no issue with the team giving him $25-$30 million a year years 7-12 of his big league career.

• 11 months later...

Enjoy him for the next six years!

In all seriousness, after this, it is hard to know what will happen. If he keeps following his career trajectory, his next contract could easily set records.

Yep, and be a horrible contract midway through. That being said, if his career continues the way it has until he is a free agent, regardless of the number you have to resign him.