• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Pujols DL bound, perhaps?

He admitted he's injured and a doctor said as much. Isn't that enough? Honest question.

No. Having an injury requiring a trip to the DL was not a determination the doctor made according to what we've heard. From there it's a player's decision whether to go on or not. Now with the tear, it's no longer an injury that can be "played through" 

I don't think anyone is ripping him for not going on the DL earlier. I think people are more disappointed with the management for not placing on the DL earlier.

Wouldn't have made any difference.

People just like to bitch.  Especially soccer players and NBA players. 

No. Having an injury requiring a trip to the DL was not a determination the doctor made according to what we've heard. From there it's a player's decision whether to go on or not. 

Dead wrong.

MLB rules on the disabled list:

A club may place an injured player on the 15- or 60-day disabled list by submitting to the commissioner's office an application, accompanied by a diagnosis from the club physician. A player on either list continues to accumulate Major League service time, but he must remain inactive for a minimum of 15 or 60 days, with Day 1 beginning after the player's last game appearance. A club may make the placement of a player on either list retroactive to the last date on which he played, up to a maximum backdating of 10 days. A club may send a player on the DL to the minor leagues for a rehab assignment lasting a maximum of 20 days for position players and 30 days for pitchers.

I see nothing in this about player approval or consent.

It is the player's call unless the doctor's diagnosis indicates the DL. From what we have heard, Pujols diagnosis gave him an option to play through which is what he did. If, as I said previously, the doctor had determined the DL was necessary, it would have happened with or without Pujols agreeing to it. Now with the tear, the choice is no longer available to Pujols. 

It is the player's call unless the doctor's diagnosis indicates the DL. From what we have heard, Pujols diagnosis gave him an option to play through which is what he did. If, as I said previously, the doctor had determined the DL was necessary, it would have happened with or without Pujols agreeing to it. Now with the tear, the choice is no longer available to Pujols. 

The way the rule reads, the team doctor's diagnosis is required when the request for DL placement is sent in to MLB - which means that the player cannot voluntarily elect to go on the DL without it, which also means that the team doesn't need his permission. DL placement could not be anything more than a casual discussion without the team doctor's diagnosis.

They may have acceded to his wishes and not had the team doctor examine him or issue a diagnosis, but this isn't the same thing as getting his permission.

IF, as I have said, the doctor's diagnosis is for the DL. However, if there is an option, as there was here, the player has a choice.

If a team has the requisite medical information and places a player on the DL the player does not have a choice. Well, they could file a grievance through the union. If they are off the 25 man roster and on the DL they cannot overrule the Team's decision and stay on the 25 man roster.

Considering the financial investment the Angels have in Pujols over the next 8+ years you'd think that the FO would've just put him on the DL back in March. It doesn't make much sense to allow a player to run around the bases like Herman Munster for 4 months while struggling at the plate. Season 2013 will go down as a failed season and the year Albert was painful to watch. Albert was just coming off right knee surgery last October. What's next?

IF, as I have said, the doctor's diagnosis is for the DL. However, if there is an option, as there was here, the player has a choice. 

I'm not sure what part of accompanied by a diagnosis from the club physician is unclear. The DL is not an option without it. MLB requires it before they will put anyone on. The only other "option", as you put it, is him sitting, not playing and taking up a roster spot.

Season's over........go on the DL get the surgery done and be ready for opening day 2014 100% and ready to go...........

why play out the string on a foot that's killing you?

we're done for this year...........call up some arms from AA to get some starts in and let's begin the extended 2014 ST.

I'm not sure why you think when the diagnosis does not require the DL but rather gives it as an option, the player would not have a choice prior to the submittal to MLB. If the player opts for the DL option then the paperwork would be submitted accordingly. But unless that option is absolute, they can't force the player to the DL.

You are arguing against an argument I am not making.

Hey numbnutz (and this a collective statement) the Angels medical staff never lodged the paperwork for Pujols to go on the DL until this injury. Which means they decided he could play on the injury just like Tim Salmon and Garret Anderson did not so many years ago. Pujols also played through this type of injury in previous seasons with the Cardinals and knew exactly what he was up against in terms of taking care of himself.

So drop it you are all looking like idiots in this thread.

Season's over........go on the DL get the surgery done and be ready for opening day 2014 100% and ready to go...........

why play out the string on a foot that's killing you?

we're done for this year...........call up some arms from AA to get some starts in and let's begin the extended 2014 ST.

how do they call up arms from AA?

If a team has the requisite medical information and places a player on the DL the player does not have a choice. Well, they could file a grievance through the union. If they are off the 25 man roster and on the DL they cannot overrule the Team's decision and stay on the 25 man roster.

That's the point YOT, the team didn't have the requisite medical information indicating Pujols should go on the DL. It was an option, and just as before, Pujols opted to play through it. If he had opted to go on the DL and either rest it, rehab it or have surgery, then the medical team would have filed the appropriate paperwork to request the DL. Unless there are no options based on the medical evaluation, such as there is now, the team cannot force the player to go on the DL.

how do they call up arms from AA?

Well they trade Downs and Frieri which may open up roster spots on the 40 man roster and they purchase the contract of the pitchers at their AA affiliate and put them in the rotation knowing that they're going to have some rough outings but will get experience.

as for the timing? could be first week of August or could wait until rosters expand Sept. 1 --- depends on the AA player -- for most, probably makes sense to wait until Sept. 1.

that's how you do it.........

the other option is to put Blanton out their every fourth or fifth day and have a running 'over and under' board for the date when he notches his 20th loss.......

they are only going to do that if they have better options in the farm. They don't. they are not going to trade away players just to bring up players that aren't ready or just aren't good enough. Bottom line is, we don't have pitching depth on the farm that should be brought up to the show. 

well if we don't get new arms, they may be the ones who are pitching in Anaheim next year.

or do you prefer starting the 2014 season with Blanton in the rotation again?

I agree, we're up against it........we probably do need to rush some minor league starters to the bigs -- that's why August/September turns into an extended 2104 ST.

Now is the time for these guys to get some MLB experience.........yes, it may be difficult to watch (attendance will tumble, no doubt) but can't be any tougher than what we're watching now --- and, at least, there will be an excuse -- "Whaddya expect, he's an  AA level guy?"

LIFETIME -- I guess we agree to disagree --- to me, it's simple.......if the season is essentially over -- use it to give some of your young players some MLB experience and have the ability to watch them to see if they can develop to the point they can be relied upon next year or not........

the other alternative is to just trout out the same players playing out the string........of which quite a few of them might be playing somewhere else next year........

oh well.

in any case, I look to a bleak August/ September in Anaheim full of meaningless games.

Giving young players that aren't ready for the show big league experience just because doesn't do anything to help them develop. And unless you move an equal amount of players, so you don't have roster room for these young players. Want to kill your existing plauers' trade value? Sit them on the bench for1/2 months to end the season. Want to kill your gate and have a significant reduction in revenue, call it a season now and give up. 

Giving young players that aren't ready for the show big league experience just because doesn't do anything to help them develop. And unless you move an equal amount of players, so you don't have roster room for these young players. Want to kill your existing plauers' trade value? Sit them on the bench for1/2 months to end the season. Want to kill your gate and have a significant reduction in revenue, call it a season now and give up.

I agree. Also, we start the clock on young players if they aren't ready.

Also, I'm hoping for a top 10 pick in next years Rule 4 draft.