• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Blanton needs to be released.

I'm trying to think of a worse signing (excluding the obvious Pujols/Hamilton signings).

Dipoto was trying to bolster the back end of the rotation with a giant, wet turd. I seriously think he should be fired for this one signing alone.

Yeah the Blanton signing is a huge red flag for Dipoto. Definitely makes me concerned about what the FO is looking at when evaluating players.

He also almost traded for Marmol, willing to eat a few million dollars also.  That being said, I'd like to see what he could do on his own, without Arte going "over his head" to sign big splashes, and hiring his own manager.

I still get why Dipoto signed Blanton. I was for it totally.

Here's the thing though. Blanton has been soooooooooooooooo much worse than expected. Most of his starts he's put the team in a no win situation from the start of the game. 

Dump this guy. He's terrible. 

He had a good stretch.  He's having another bad stretch.  It will go the other way again if he remains in the rotation.  

That said, the signing made no sense. The Angels needed someone to slot in at 3-4, not 5-6.   They had six guys.  Seven if you count Maronde, who they inexplicably banished to the AA bullpen.   If you are out of cash and out of trade options, get someone cheaper, for one year.  There were plenty of other pitchers available.... several only got one year.

I'm trying to think of a worse signing (excluding the obvious Pujols/Hamilton signings).

Dipoto was trying to bolster the back end of the rotation with a giant, wet turd. I seriously think he should be fired for this one signing alone.

Allowing Haren to walk evens the score for Dipoto in my book.

Good move.

Signing Blanton was bad enough when nobody else was biting was bad enough.  Giving him multiple years was worse.  Giving him $15 million is the worstest.  Even back then I wasn't buying the "innings eater" crap.  

Horrible, horrible ****ing signing and it didn't take hindsight to see this one coming.

I understood signing an experienced starter to eat innings. But this was the wrong guy, and there just wasn't good enough evidence to warrant giving him such an insane contract.

If they're not going to release him then the least they can do is stick him in the bullpen where his number of innings can be restricted.