• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Gameday Thread (3/30/24 @ 1pm Pacific): Angels @ Orioles: Canning on the mound

8 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Moniak is a left handed hitter and plays right field. Hicks should sit over developing Moniak to take that position as a platoon with Adell when a left hander is on the mound. Hicks should be the backup for when Trout is out and Moniak slides over to center and the Angels want a left handed bat. 

I don’t think playing a young right handed hitter in a platoon is really developing him.  Right handed hitters have to be able to hit right handed pitching to stick in the big leagues.  If you want to “develop” Adell he needs at bats against right handlers more than he needs at bats against left handers.

• Chuck changed the title to Gameday Thread (3/30/24 @ 1pm Pacific): Angels @ Orioles: Canning on the mound
6 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

I don’t think playing a young right handed hitter in a platoon is really developing him.  Right handed hitters have to be able to hit right handed pitching to stick in the big leagues.  If you want to “develop” Adell he needs at bats against right handlers more than he needs at bats against left handers.

Adell can cover for Ward as well and pick up some DH time. He can put in four to five games a week if Washington chooses to get him playing time.  

42 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Yep after two games we can clearly state that Adell and Moniak won’t ever start again. 

Not what I said. It concerns me that we are running out veterans who are not part of the future over the possible part of the future in a season that we are supposedly looking towards what we have next season and beyond. That could change but it is concerning to me that Washington is starting out this way.

31 minutes ago, Blarg said:

It is two games in and it says Washington isn't going to give those guys chances over the veterans he knows. Moniak showed he has what it takes to play right field, hit for average and power. There is no excuse to bench him for another left handed bat.

I know you think you're being such a smart guy backing Washington's roster but this is not moving the team forward, it is putting it in another year of a holding pattern. I want this team to progress, not keep repeating the same non developmental mistake of filling holes with barely league average veterans. Sano and Hicks won't be on the roster next year, they should be in the backup role they were signed for. 

You giving someone a hard time for “thinking they’re being smart” really is hilarious.  
I’ll choose to be patient with who starts and who doesn’t. Like I said it’s game two.  

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

Why not?  

Best case scenario, Sano has a great year but it wont be good enough to make an impact on the standings.

Best case for Adell, is that he gets consistent playing for for first time since in years and has a chance for a breakout.  Worst case for Adell, he is proven a bust and it still doesnt effect the standings

6 minutes ago, stormngt said:

Best case scenario, Sano has a great year but it wont be good enough to make an impact on the standings.

Best case for Adell, is that he gets consistent playing for for first time since in years and has a chance for a breakout.  Worst case for Adell, he is proven a bust and it still doesnt effect the standings

If those were the only two scenarios we’d be in agreement. But they aren’t. 

2 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

Hoping Rendon does better than 0-4 with an error, a mental error, and falling down by Neto causing him to misplay a ball. 

There still wasn’t a mental error but yes let’s hope he does much better. Did he make one or two great plays?  I think it was at least one but maybe two. And blaming him for Neto is totally on brand for you. And before you say it yes defending him is on brand for me. 

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

Moniak is a left handed hitter and plays right field. Hicks should sit over developing Moniak to take that position as a platoon with Adell when a left hander is on the mound. Hicks should be the backup for when Trout is out and Moniak slides over to center and the Angels want a left handed bat. 

I'm on board with Moniak, a developing player, starting over Hicks. But it sounds like you're not on board with Adell starting, you'd rather have him platoon a couple days a week with Hicks. 

Do I understand correctly?

3 minutes ago, CaliAngel said:

I'm on board with Moniak, a developing player, starting over Hicks. But it sounds like you're not on board with Adell starting, you'd rather have him platoon a couple days a week with Hicks. 

Do I understand correctly?

I'm trying to find an avenue where both get playing time. I am a big fan of Adell and think he can break out this year but Washington has to have some roll in that taking place. Playing Hicks and Sano shuts the door on both of those guys and that is going to be costly for the Angels if they can't get them playing towards a future of Trout, Ward, Moniak and Adell and then after 2025 letting Ward walk and moving up someone like Rada in 2026 which can move Trout to left and DH. 

7 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

just sounds like an old man stuck in his ways... total lack of youthful innovation, he is just plugging in players hoping they will put up their best numbers when in the game !

5 minutes ago, No Roles said:

just sounds like an old man stuck in his ways... total lack of youthful innovation, he is just plugging in players hoping they will put up their best numbers when in the game !

Until you realize that throughout his entire career he has been praised for his work with young players, whether it was the young group he had while a coach of the A’s or the young players he had when he managed the Rangers and then again with that young core the last several years in Atlanta.  

6 minutes ago, Blarg said:

I'm trying to find an avenue where both get playing time. I am a big fan of Adell and think he can break out this year but Washington has to have some roll in that taking place. Playing Hicks and Sano shuts the door on both of those guys and that is going to be costly for the Angels if they can't get them playing towards a future of Trout, Ward, Moniak and Adell and then after 2025 letting Ward walk and moving up someone like Rada in 2026 which can move Trout to left and DH. 

I'm with you on this. I was fine with not signing someone like JD Martinez since keeping that DH spot allows Moniak and Adell to get consistent ABs. IMO getting a good long look at them this season benefits the team long term rather than giving them to Hicks who's gone at the end of the year anyway.