• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Will the Angels make a big move?

10 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

If they are hoping to get a deal, great... But its looking more and more like,they are done unless something falls into their laps..

"Unfinished business"...

Yep, this is where I am, too. If one of the DH-types breaks and is willing to take a one-year, moderate value deal, or if one of Snell or Montgomery panics, sure, I could see something happening. But it doesn't feel like the Angels are going to be paying full-market rate for any of the remaining big guys.  

Stranger things have happened, though. 

Spoiler

Yes,I keep thinking a couple moves and we’re pretty competitive. 
I also think prices are going to drop.
Belllinger 6 year deal Clevinger and Anderson on 1 year option deals. I’d jump on Bauer too. 

Edited by Dgar24

10 minutes ago, Stradling said:

As for “it feels like the Angels are done” that could be said about every team.

I don’t think you can say that for the Cubs and Giants.

10 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I still can’t fathom they go all in on bullpen and leave the rest alone. 

So long as they’re acting rationally, I agree. But I don’t see a big move.

Edited by BTH

1 minute ago, BTH said:

I don’t think you can say that for the Cubs and Giants.

So long as they’re acting rationally, I agree. But I don’t see a big move.

And yet the Giants and Cubs haven’t signed Chapman, Snell, Montgomery, Bellinger, Solis, JD, Clevinger or Anderson yet either. 

22 minutes ago, Stradling said:

As for “it feels like the Angels are done” that could be said about every team. I still can’t fathom they go all in on bullpen and leave the rest alone. 

That probably wasn't the intention, but that may be how it ends up.

17 minutes ago, Stradling said:

As for “it feels like the Angels are done” that could be said about every team. I still can’t fathom they go all in on bullpen and leave the rest alone. 

I don't care what other teams will or will not do.  I care that the Angels could improve themselves without blowing their wad on Snell/Bellinger and aren't doing it. 

I agree it seems pointless to invest so heavily in the pen and then pin their hopes on health and in house improvement, but that's exactly the sort of thing the Angels under Moreno have been known for.  They have a chance to create depth in the rotation.  They could improve their depth at MI.  They still may, I hope they do but I'm no expecting it.

I'm not as down on them as most, but they are the closest they have been to being truly irrelevant than at any point prior to 1995.

54 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

I care that the Angels could improve themselves without blowing their wad on Snell/Bellinger and aren't doing it. 

they did such a nice job last year of completing the team.  

Right now, they have Adell and Stefanic as their primary backups which means about 400 PA min for each of them.  And that's counting Rendon as an everyday player.   The rest of the depth is the JV AAA squad.  

Silseth is their #5 starter with depth of Bachman, Daniel, Plesac, Rosenberg and Suarez.  

They need three more major leaguers even if they are of Urshela level quality.   

The problem with having those high priced guys available is that there still a lot of stupid left for them to do if they want.  

8 minutes ago, Docwaukee said:

They need three more major leaguers even if they are of Urshela level quality.   

Three would be ideal, two is IMO absolutely necessary.  

Adell situation sucks, he's talented he's, out of options, he's best served by playing everyday. But they absolutely need a MLB caliber replacement at SS, and as talented as Silseth might be, having him be option number 1 in AAA would be nice.  

They need a couple 1.5-2 fWAR probable players.

1 minute ago, Erstad Grit said:

I'd guess some guys like Soler and Lorenzen.

I'll let you decide if they'd be "big moves." 

Soler would be a medium move to me. Lorenzen would be an "I hope Inside Pitch is right and he's not just gonna be a guy who ends up throwing about 100 innings of mediocre-at-best ball before tiring and getting hammered for the rest of the season" move. 

1 hour ago, jsnpritchett said:

Soler would be a medium move to me. Lorenzen would be an "I hope Inside Pitch is right and he's not just gonna be a guy who ends up throwing about 100 innings of mediocre-at-best ball before tiring and getting hammered for the rest of the season" move. 

That's a legit concern with Lorenzen.

He's someone to wish on and worry about for essentially the same reason.  One can look at his lack of innings and think he's a fresh arm without a lot of mileage on it and the potential to build on what he's done. You can just as easily look at his having to be shut down his season in Anaheim and his fall off the second half of last year and argue he can't be counted on to deliver all year.

Lorenzen/Clevinger are probably a wash.  Lorenzen might offer a greater upside due to better stuff while Clevinger likely has the safer floor. They both have promising pitch modeling data and while neither guy is an ace they have the potential to be 2+ fWAR arms. More importantly, neither guy is gonna take a bunch of years or money.

Same players for me Lorenzen was a 2 war pitcher last year and Clevenger over 3. I bring in Tim Anderson for depth at SS and 2B. I think Washington be big impact on Anderson. I like the many arms added to BP with many with options. Maybe take a chance on Bauer at league min. with team option for 2025 at low rate. 

I think they will and it's going to be Blake Snell. Something like 6/180 with opt outs coming in years two and four.

He gets paid the money that he's clearly worth while also scoring opt outs for a better situation every other year. There might even be a spoken deal that has Minasian dealing him away if they aren't competitive. 

It's an imperfect yet decent enough fit. First things first, I think he's the only pitcher in baseball that has three offerings with a 50% whiff rate, which is just unheard of outside of very specific Cy Young types. The Angels definitely need more swing and miss. Second, I think being left handed really protects him from the short porch in RF moreso than most. Third, the bullpen depth works to his advantage. Fourth, I don't think he gets too bent out of shape over contract negotiations or not having a team before ST. He's very even keeled. He'll just keep playing his video games until it's time to show up and pitch.

To paraphrase Scott Boras Jon Heyman, it depends if Arte wakes up one of these mornings and deciding he feels like trying to win. Sure, this could be an over .500 team if everyone stays healthy, but when has that ever happened? The kids all take a step forward and the vets get back to their former glory and this team could make some noise. But that's all beyond unlikely. So, unless Moreno just plans to rebuild - which is possible - he needs to at least take a shot. 

Regardless, though, I think we need another infielder and at least a decent SP type like Lorenzen. Outfield is tough to improve without moving on from Adell.