• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Will the Angels make a big move?

30 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

If they sign Belt, you imagine him as the primary DH--and I guess the backup 1B option if Schanuel ends up needing time in AAA? 

Yep. I’d see him as a guy who DHs. Gets a lot of starts against righties. Virtually no starts against lefties. He sits against lefties and Trout or Rendon can DH. He can start a game a week at 1st. 

15 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Yep. I’d see him as a guy who DHs. Gets a lot of starts against righties. Virtually no starts against lefties. He sits against lefties and Trout or Rendon can DH. He can start a game a week at 1st. 

I just looked and MLB Trade Rumors predicted a one-year, $15M contract for him.  Can't imagine he gets anything remotely close to that at this point.

19 hours ago, Kotchman said:

The Angels next big move is to Nashville 

There is zero chance, I mean zero, that this would ever happen. The Angels are not leaving SoCal. The valuation of a team in Nashville would probably be somewhere between 1.5-2 Billion. The Angels in Orange County are worth 2.5-3. And In LA or Long Beach, probably more than that.

Trout basically said, try and put together a winner or trade me. That’s the only thing that could “change” is if we tank and rebuild. And all the free agents are out there. A starting pitcher wouldn’t be the worst investment for this year or the next.

46 minutes ago, Hubs said:

There is zero chance, I mean zero, that this would ever happen. The Angels are not leaving SoCal. The valuation of a team in Nashville would probably be somewhere between 1.5-2 Billion. The Angels in Orange County are worth 2.5-3. And In LA or Long Beach, probably more than that.

Expansion is the likely path for Nashville.  While Anaheim does offer a significantly higher local tv market , Nashville is growing.

The Titans are outperforming the Chargers and way behind the Rams. We’re basically the Chargers.

The right stadium deal and taxes could potentially close the gap more the Socal people care to admit. We wouldn’t be the first pro team to bail on Southern California. 

37 minutes ago, Kendo36 said:

Trout basically said, try and put together a winner or trade me. That’s the only thing that could “change” is if we tank and rebuild. And all the free agents are out there. A starting pitcher wouldn’t be the worst investment for this year or the next.

Trout isn’t going anywhere. The Angels would have to eat a huge amount of his contract.

21 hours ago, Kotchman said:

Expansion is the likely path for Nashville.  While Anaheim does offer a significantly higher local tv market , Nashville is growing.

The Titans are outperforming the Chargers and way behind the Rams. We’re basically the Chargers.

The right stadium deal and taxes could potentially close the gap more the Socal people care to admit. We wouldn’t be the first pro team to bail on Southern California. 

In So Cal, It hasn't happened since 1995, and that was Pro Football, which is a very very different experience having only one game per week and a national TV broadcast rights deal that is split equally among all 32 teams regardless of market size.

The thought of a major market baseball or basketball team with a stadium deal until 2038 would move to market that is 1/11 of the size is laughable. The only reason the A's have proposed a move from a metro area of similar size (15M in NorCal) to one of smaller size (and similar to Nashville) is that their stadium and draw is the worst in the league with the possible exception of Tampa. 

Nashville and Salt Lake or Portland are likely the 31st and 32nd teams. Tampa if they built a stadium in actual Tampa is a better market than these three, or possibly move to Orlando.

50 minutes ago, Hubs said:

In So Cal, It hasn't happened since 1995, and that was Pro Football, which is a very very different experience having only one game per week and a national TV broadcast rights deal that is split equally among all 32 teams regardless of market size.

The thought of a major market baseball or basketball team with a stadium deal until 2038 would move to market that is 1/11 of the size is laughable. The only reason the A's have proposed a move from a metro area of similar size (15M in NorCal) to one of smaller size (and similar to Nashville) is that their stadium and draw is the worst in the league with the possible exception of Tampa. 

Nashville and Salt Lake or Portland are likely the 31st and 32nd teams. Tampa if they built a stadium in actual Tampa is a better market than these three, or possibly move to Orlando.

I’m pretty sure they’re not staying in SC forever without a stadium. It’s going to take a new owner or a city to step up and build something. 

I agree the local tv markets are huge for baseball but that pot isnt going to last forever. Bally paid dearly for overpaying and future broadcasters will take notice. 

6 hours ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

Honesty I would prefer them to keep the DH spot open and just rotate guys like Rendon, Trout, Ward, Drury, O'hoppe or Thaiss. 

I’d be more OK with that if they had more thump in the middle of the lineup.

I think they could use a MOTO bat, and JDM would fit as a DH. I think his bat would more than make up for the lack of flexibility at DH.

Taking everything from talent, payroll budget, draft pick compensation, current roster.  Which two free agents remaining would you like to see the Angels acquire?  
I can’t move off of my Montgomery and Belt idea.  It probably adds $35-37 million in payroll, but the Belt deal would probably be a 1+1 type of deal. 

Montgomery moves to the front of the rotation.  We’d be left handed heavy for this year. It pushes Silseth to AAA, which gives us some nice rotation depth between him, Davis, Bachman, Plesac.  

Belt would be the primary DH, can sit against lefties freeing up the DH spot for Trout and Rendon. Belt can be insurance at 1st base or simply start there once every 7-10 games, again freeing up the DH spot.