• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Will the Angels make a big move?

19 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

At this point I think Sandoval must have hurt you.

Why? I think he’s tremendously valuable.

Just don’t think the Angels are going to be good enough in his remaining years of control, and we’ll see him walk or get injured or become ineffective before the team is good enough to either capitalize on his performance or cash it in for a worthy return.

The Angels are the ones hurtin’ me.

Edited by totdprods

I think we should not be trading pitchers imo. Depth is good. Pitching depth is critical

I don't think adding a starter puts the Angels in a position to trade another. I mean, obviously if someone blows you away with an offer...

I think 3 years is plenty of time to build a solid team. And it's not like they won't have the option of extending him.

55 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

I think we should not be trading pitchers imo. Depth is good. Pitching depth is critical

I don't think adding a starter puts the Angels in a position to trade another. I mean, obviously if someone blows you away with an offer...

I think 3 years is plenty of time to build a solid team. And it's not like they won't have the option of extending him.

I don’t disagree with any of that. I preach depth more than most here. And I can agree that Sandoval might not have enough value now to not get anything worth pulling the trigger on, so it’s not like I feel they need to move him or they have to. I’m just recognizing that he has the highest trade value of anyone on our team that isn’t under 5+ years of control still, and because of that, he defaults to being the best trade chip. 

But I still am not very confident that he both stays healthy and at least as effective in the same timeline that the Angels have to get back into credible contention. I don’t think they have a chance in ‘24, and I think ‘25 is a stretch unless something really significant happens between now and then (i.e., Arte selling, Arte not just spending, but actually signing a couple stars between this and next winter, the young core kicking way more ass than expected, Trout and Rendon each play 140+ games each year, we have a true star breakout from a player, etc.), so at that point you’re looking at Sandy’s last year of control before the Angels are likely primed to contend. In that time he also needs to actually get better, at the very least from a consistency standpoint to start landing some Ws and QS but also avoid major injury, and I think it’s awfully rare for a SP to not have a major injury in their six years of club control. We’ve been lucky with him so far.

He’s certainly an extension candidate but I don’t see either side being keen on that for at least another year; if he kicks ass next year but the Angels suck, he’ll probably start counting down to dollar signs in FA. If he doesn’t take a step forward I’m not sure the Angels will have a lot of incentive to try and extend him. 

I just have this feeling that’s similar to what I had with Richards and Calhoun after the 2015 season I think. It didn’t make much sense to move them that winter for similar reasons to Sandoval now, but ultimately it would’ve been a big boost for the Halos to sell somewhat high then. Just a gut feeling we’ll regret it in a year or two.

On 2/8/2024 at 6:50 PM, Stradling said:

As for “it feels like the Angels are done” that could be said about every team. I still can’t fathom they go all in on bullpen and leave the rest alone. 

I have a really hard time with this. Maybe Arte doesn't care about anything at all anymore, but this is a new level of laughingstock if they do. And it makes Perry look like the worst GM in the league. 

On the other hand, if he did all this with the bullpen because of the slow developing market, pouncing when everyone was waiting, AND then came in and got some upgrades, it's very shrewd. And I don't think he's that incompetent. 

Final factor for me is that I just cannot, cannot imagine a graphic of "Detmers named Opening Day Starter." They can't possibly. 

4 minutes ago, ThisismineScios said:

I have a really hard time with this. Maybe Arte doesn't care about anything at all anymore, but this is a new level of laughingstock if they do. And it makes Perry look like the worst GM in the league. 

On the other hand, if he did all this with the bullpen because of the slow developing market, pouncing when everyone was waiting, AND then came in and got some upgrades, it's very shrewd. And I don't think he's that incompetent. 

Final factor for me is that I just cannot, cannot imagine a graphic of "Detmers named Opening Day Starter." They can't possibly. 

I do as well. Also, having a better bullpen is important, yes. However, what good is a good pen if there are rarely games to hold or save? Or sending in pitchers from a great bullpen because a starter can't get out of the 4th of 5th innings without leaving the team down by four or five runs. Yeah, they might pitch a shutout after that 4th or 5th inning, but we still lose. 

9 hours ago, ThisismineScios said:

I see what you are saying, but honestly the #1 thing I wanted was bullpen upgrades. Sure, I expected at LEAST one semi-competent starter and a more significant bat than "the corpse of Aaron Hicks," but I genuinely think the bullpen and health have been the primary reasons for our recent suckitude. If we go into the season with 2.5 dependable starters and "LOL" still listed as the backup in OF/DH then yeah, I'll be pissed, but so far I'm perfectly OK with the offseason. 

3 minutes ago, ScruffytheJanitor said:

I see what you are saying, but honestly the #1 thing I wanted was bullpen upgrades. Sure, I expected at LEAST one semi-competent starter and a more significant bat than "the corpse of Aaron Hicks," but I genuinely think the bullpen and health have been the primary reasons for our recent suckitude. If we go into the season with 2.5 dependable starters and "LOL" still listed as the backup in OF/DH then yeah, I'll be pissed, but so far I'm perfectly OK with the offseason. 

I am pretty much in agreement with this, was very happy to see basically a completely new bullpen. If the offense stays healthy I think they’re in fine shape - basically every starting hitter was hurt last year for some time. I do wish they had landed someone in the ERod, Stroman, Gray, Shoto tier, but I have a lot of faith in Sandoval, Detmers, Canning and even Anderson improving this year.

22 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I am pretty much in agreement with this, was very happy to see basically a completely new bullpen. If the offense stays healthy I think they’re in fine shape - basically every starting hitter was hurt last year for some time. I do wish they had landed someone in the ERod, Stroman, Gray, Shoto tier, but I have a lot of faith in Sandoval, Detmers, Canning and even Anderson improving this year.

Agree as well. Having said that if prices come down I would offer Montgomery, Snell an opportunity shorter term, options, front loaded contract to whatever it takes to lead this staff. 

10 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

I saw something that they are meeting with Domingo German. 

We lost our Japanese and are replacing him with a German. 

Arte finally believing in WAR it looks like.

And this is why TORS is an AW Hall of Famer.

1 hour ago, ScruffytheJanitor said:

Agree. Last season the pen had 29 blown saves. Cutting that by 40-50 % would be a game changer.

1 hour ago, greginpsca said:

Agree. Last season the pen had 29 blown saves. Cutting that by 40-50 % would be a game changer.

The bullpen was a major need, but WITH Ohtani our rotation was 24th by WAR, FIP, and ERA-. With Ohtani, with him. Obviously replacing him is impossible, but he had 23 starts (12 quality) and 44 HR. I'm not sure where this idea that our current 5-man rotation will just pick up that slack came from. Even if they all improve, that doesn't close the gap by a longshot. As for the lineup, we are saying 125 games from Trout, Rendon, and O'Hoppe will close that gap? What about the DH spot in our lineup on Opening Day? 

Again, this is all stemming from the idea that we spend $30 million+ on the bullpen and nothing much at all on anything else. As though it was the only need. It would be incredibly odd and strange to approach it that way. Not to fix or even prioritize the bullpen, but to have the idea that it was the only thing worth spending money on. 

3 minutes ago, ThisismineScios said:

The bullpen was a major need, but WITH Ohtani our rotation was 24th by WAR, FIP, and ERA-. With Ohtani, with him. Obviously replacing him is impossible, but he had 23 starts (12 quality) and 44 HR. I'm not sure where this idea that our current 5-man rotation will just pick up that slack came from. Even if they all improve, that doesn't close the gap by a longshot. As for the lineup, we are saying 125 games from Trout, Rendon, and O'Hoppe will close that gap? What about the DH spot in our lineup on Opening Day? 

Again, this is all stemming from the idea that we spend $30 million+ on the bullpen and nothing much at all on anything else. As though it was the only need. It would be incredibly odd and strange to approach it that way. Not to fix or even prioritize the bullpen, but to have the idea that it was the only thing worth spending money on. 

The idea came from how well all of them pitched the year before and how well they pitched on 4 days rest last year.  The offseason isn’t over.

I don't think the Angels will make any big moves. 2024 maybe a last place finish. Waiting for Caden Dana, Barrett Kent, Jorge Marcheco and Walbert Urena to develop in the next few years. By that time the Angels current young core will be established regulars to all-stars.  With playoffs and a possible world series win to come.