• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Will the Angels make a big move?

1 minute ago, Blarg said:

I will be very disappointed if the Angels piss away a draft pick for another over priced free agent. Minasian has been drafting very well, give him all the tools to rebuild this team from the minor leagues. Quit with chasing low return free agents that push back the rebuild another season. 

This is why I suggested Montgomery, no draft pick, won’t block anyone so the young guys can still get playing time, then if you are still “rebuilding” you can trade Sandoval at the deadline. 

1 minute ago, Blarg said:

The "trade Sandoval" take is a very weird obsession on this board. On a pitching strapped team, you aren't trading Sandoval for a better replacement. It's moving the wrong direction trading an asset for lesser assets. 

I’m not on the trade Sandoval train, I would have moved him for Burnes, but if they commit to a rebuild, as you suggest, he will have the most value of someone over 26. If Burnes was from back East and didn’t grow up an Angel fan I wouldn’t have even moved Sandoval for him. 

There is a lot of free agent talent out there still. If the team were willing to spend, they could absolutely still grab a few guys and have a good team (at least on paper). Think about how much better this team would look if it added Snell, JD Martinez, and Lorenzen. 

17 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

I do not want a DH that could be taking AB away from Adell or Moniak. Let them both get 450 to 500 ab and see what they can do. Both could be part of future and the way to find out is let them play.

Unless that DH is a good and consistent hitter. Moniak can’t hit lefties and you never know what you’ll get from Adell. 

I think Montgomery is waiting on the Rangers to blink. Same with Bellinger and the Cubs. Snell is a bit of a wild card. He seems to have priced himself out of the market. Unless he gets more reasonable with his number, he may well go well into spring training, or beyond. 

48 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

That DH will not be part of future. I'm for letting young players getting a chance to see what they can do. 

I’m not opposed to that either because there should be minimal expectations for them based on their current roster. Maybe playing everyday is what’s going to get Adell to the next level. 

Just to paint the picture for you...

You've got a team that's 40 million under budget, whose GM literally said they won't be lowering payroll, and a roster with vacancies and flexibility, combined with a large group of free agents that specifically fit this teams needs...

For me, it's not a question of "if" but "who" and "when". 

As far as specifics... They're never right, but here's what I got.

Angels trade Jo Adell and Brandon Drury to the Padres for pitching prospects Jairo Iriarte and __________. 

Matt Chapman's market never materializes beyond some basement offer from SF, and he signs with the Angels for 2/45. 

Nearly two weeks into Spring Training and Snell is still without a team and he accepts the Angels offer of 6/180 with opt outs every other year.

We're treated to articles from Jeff Fletcher about Rendon embracing his new DH role, but always keeps his glove ready.

Edited by Second Base

Could see as many as three FAs still being in play. Thinking Monty, TA and Votto. Of course these signings would mean some corresponding trades/demotions. Not sure which direction they’d go here but I’ll guess:

Silseth to AAA

Stefanic & Drury traded for prospect depth

Chapman/Bellinger/Snell long shots due to QO

10 hours ago, Second Base said:

Just to paint the picture for you...

You've got a team that's 40 million under budget, whose GM literally said they won't be lowering payroll, and a roster with vacancies and flexibility, combined with a large group of free agents that specifically fit this teams needs...

For me, it's not a question of "if" but "who" and "when". 

As far as specifics... They're never right, but here's what I got.

Angels trade Jo Adell and Brandon Drury to the Padres for pitching prospects Jairo Iriarte and __________. 

Matt Chapman's market never materializes beyond some basement offer from SF, and he signs with the Angels for 2/45. 

Nearly two weeks into Spring Training and Snell is still without a team and he accepts the Angels offer of 6/180 with opt outs every other year.

We're treated to articles from Jeff Fletcher about Rendon embracing his new DH role, but always keeps his glove ready.

Nice picture. If Snell is still out there 2 weeks in Montgomery should be too same type of offer. Grab them both. Im thinking we have a top 5 staff. Fletcher and Rendon still embracing..

On 2/9/2024 at 6:20 AM, Blarg said:

I will be very disappointed if the Angels piss away a draft pick for another over priced free agent. Minasian has been drafting very well, give him all the tools to rebuild this team from the minor leagues. Quit with chasing low return free agents that push back the rebuild another season. 

Agreed for this season 

Just focus on one a year from now (Burnes).

6 hours ago, notherhalo said:

How's their revenue with no Shohei and bankrupt TV sponsor that hasn't been settled?

Can they support a better payroll?

Well, of course they can. They have Los Angeles as part of the team name? That, in and of itself, means they are a big-market team. That alone is worth hundreds of millions of dollars in revenue. 🙄

I think there’s still a few plausible scenarios where they make a couple moves that put them in at least marginal contention.

Scenario 1) Trade Rengifo+ for Bieber or a Marlins arm, sign someone ranging from Anderson to Chapman to Merrifield to Rosario to replace

Scenario 2) simply signing a Clevinger or Lorenzen to shore up SP, maybe still a Soler or Martinez for DH

Scenario 3) sign Snell or Montgomery or Bellinger, move a package built around Sandoval for a Ha-Seong Kim or young bat, or if Bellinger, Moniak+(perhaps even Rengifo) for an arm or two.

I don’t think any of those are too far-fetched even at this point.

3 hours ago, totdprods said:

I think there’s still a few plausible scenarios where they make a couple moves that put them in at least marginal contention.

Scenario 1) Trade Rengifo+ for Bieber or a Marlins arm, sign someone ranging from Anderson to Chapman to Merrifield to Rosario to replace

Scenario 2) simply signing a Clevinger or Lorenzen to shore up SP, maybe still a Soler or Martinez for DH

Scenario 3) sign Snell or Montgomery or Bellinger, move a package built around Sandoval for a Ha-Seong Kim or young bat, or if Bellinger, Moniak+(perhaps even Rengifo) for an arm or two.

I don’t think any of those are too far-fetched even at this point.

At this point I think Sandoval must have hurt you.