• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2024 Major League Baseball Thread

Shane Bieber - TJ

Eury Pérez - TJ

Felix Bautista - TJ

Lucas Giolito - TJ

Shane McClanahan - TJ

Jacob deGrom - TJ

Sandy Alcantara - TJ

Walker Buehler - returning from TJ

Robbie Ray - returning from TJ

Dustin May - returning from TJ

Gerrit Cole - elbow inflammation

Spencer Strider - MRI on elbow

Kyle Bradish - sprained elbow

Just now, Chuck said:

Shane Bieber - TJ

Eury Pérez - TJ

Felix Bautista - TJ

Lucas Giolito - TJ

Shane McClanahan - TJ

Jacob deGrom - TJ

Sandy Alcantara - TJ

Walker Buehler - returning from TJ

Robbie Ray - returning from TJ

Dustin May - returning from TJ

Gerrit Cole - elbow inflammation

Spencer Strider - MRI on elbow

Kyle Bradish - sprained elbow

Something has to change.

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

Yes but what?  Now if you pitch 90-92 mph guys will rake off that. So you can’t just pitch to avoid injury. 

I don't know. Smarter people than me can figure it out.

Football changed its rules to prevent concussions, right? 

22 minutes ago, Taylor said:

I don't know. Smarter people than me can figure it out.

Football changed its rules to prevent concussions, right? 

"One of the game’s leading orthopedic surgeons is sounding an alarm on pitching injuries — and citing the advent of the sweeper and power changeup as significant reasons for the spike.

Dr. Keith Meister, the Texas Rangers’ head team physician, said teams are exacerbating the problem by emphasizing pitchers’ performance over their availability.

“These front offices, unfortunately, are living more in the moment than taking a longer, broader-term view,” Meister said. “There is a way to manage this. What if a guy doesn’t have a WHIP (walks and hits per inning pitched) of 0.8. What if he has a WHIP of 1.1 but he’s able to play 162?”

"Meister, director of the Texas Metroplex Institute for Sports Medicine, acknowledges the dangers velocity poses. But, he said, “spin is worse.”

The sweeper puts tremendous stress on the inner elbow, Meister said. The power “movement” changeup, as Meister calls it, also puts inordinate strain on the arm. “And to throw these pitches,” he said, “you have to squeeze the crap out of the baseball.”

Years ago, Meister recalls hearing the late Johnny Sain, a former major-league pitcher and independent-minded pitching coach, say when a pitcher is holding a ball correctly, he should grip it in a way that he could throw a raw egg without breaking it.

Today it’s the opposite, Meister said. Pitchers apply a “death grip” to the ball, essentially pre-loading every muscle in their arms. At release, those muscles acutely lengthen in what is known as an “eccentric contraction.” The result can be almost like a hamstring tearing, affecting different pitchers in different parts of the arm."

So MLB isn’t going to put rules in place to limit what pitches or the velocity of those pitches. They could put something in place to where a pitcher can file a grievance in real time about pressure from the organization, but it’ll have to be pre-injury. 

12 minutes ago, Stradling said:

So MLB isn’t going to put rules in place to limit what pitches or the velocity of those pitches. They could put something in place to where a pitcher can file a grievance in real time about pressure from the organization, but it’ll have to be pre-injury. 

Link?

I’m almost certain that there is a correlation between young kids starting showcase baseball tournaments, travel ball, etc and the rise of major arm trouble.

Travel ball and showcase tournaments really rose to popularity about 20 years ago and that would fit into the ages of a lot of these pitchers coming down with arm issues.

Now, with that being said, most kids often go to personal trainers, instructors, and the like, but that doesn’t necessarily mean they are being taught properly, nor does it exempt them from the stresses of newer pitches.

Maybe that might be a starting point to look into, but I doubt that will change anything.  Like California trying to ban tackle football.

I would argue that nothing needs to change. The market will adjust. Pitchers that get outs on weak contract and can go 7 innings will become the new fad and we’ll eventually see a resurgence of the Maddux type of pitcher. George Kirby comes to mind, though he has decent velocity readings. I don’t think anyone will be thriving at 90 mph, but eventually, 97 for 5 innings and surgery every other year will be replaced with 93-94 for six innings and a lengthy career.

2 hours ago, Second Base said:

I would argue that nothing needs to change. The market will adjust. Pitchers that get outs on weak contract and can go 7 innings will become the new fad and we’ll eventually see a resurgence of the Maddux type of pitcher. George Kirby comes to mind, though he has decent velocity readings. I don’t think anyone will be thriving at 90 mph, but eventually, 97 for 5 innings and surgery every other year will be replaced with 93-94 for six innings and a lengthy career.

I would bet against that. I thought for years that eventually we would see an end to the shift being prevalent because hitters would start to try to utilize that part of the field again.

6 hours ago, PattyD22 said:

I’m almost certain that there is a correlation between young kids starting showcase baseball tournaments, travel ball, etc and the rise of major arm trouble.

Travel ball and showcase tournaments really rose to popularity about 20 years ago and that would fit into the ages of a lot of these pitchers coming down with arm issues.

Now, with that being said, most kids often go to personal trainers, instructors, and the like, but that doesn’t necessarily mean they are being taught properly, nor does it exempt them from the stresses of newer pitches.

Maybe that might be a starting point to look into, but I doubt that will change anything.  Like California trying to ban tackle football.

I agree with kids as early as 9 playing year round.

Just now, redoctober2002 said:

I would bet against that. I thought for years that eventually we would see an end to the shift being prevalent because hitters would start to try to utilize that part of the field again.

Yeah that’s fair to be skeptical. That was effecting the entire sport though. Games were too long, it affected viewership, advertising, everything. This only seems to be detrimental to individual pitchers, in which case, there will always be another waiting for their shot. 

There are multiple ways to get batters out. Only utilizing one, velocity, leaves a lot of value out there. Velocity seems to be the most common indicator of future value, but it also seems like the greatest indicator of future injury as well. 

I like the idea of using hybrid roles more, like with Jose Soriano. Typically swing starters in the past have been guys that couldn’t cut it in the rotation, frequently because of a lack of velocity. I’d like to see Bachman and Soriano types that can go three innings every third day or so, once through the order, but are also working in the upper 90’s. Theoretically, this mixed approach could keep pitchers healthier longer while also fully utilizing velocity. 

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

And dudes will pitch 98 mph until their arms fall off. 

Have someone sit in the stands with a BB gun and have them shoot them in the ass anytime the radar says they threw harder than 95.

You should totally ask me about how I'd end hunger and usher in world peace.  Just need to find some dinosaur DNA and let me work.

23 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Have someone sit in the stands with a BB gun and have them shoot them in the ass anytime the radar says they threw harder than 95.

You should totally ask me about how I'd end hunger and usher in world peace.  Just need to find some dinosaur DNA and let me work.

More importantly, how would you would solve gallows humor when it isn’t funny?  If you can do that then you’ll get my vote.