• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Bobby Valentine: Perry was set to trade Ohtani at deadline, Arte stopped him

Taylor

In Artes defense, $700 mill is a shit ton to spend on a guy with a bad elbow who may never pitch again.

It's a shit ton to spend on anybody, period.

Then again, we spent $800  on Pujols, Hamilton, Upton, Harvey, Cowart, Wells, and Rendon.

Ohtani has more MVPs than all of them combined... more All Stars as an Angel than all of them combined....

Of its actually true that Shohei was willing to stay for the same money the Dodgers offered, than fuck Arte. 

There's literally no argument.

And remember that we got saved by the Red Sox when they "stole" Crawford from us... because Arte balked at Beltre wanting $14 mill more over 7 years than we were willing to go.

(History lesson. We gave Wells 16 less than Beltre, and Beltre is in the Hall. And we gave up Napoli to get Wells.)

(Edit, Pujols had more MVPs than Ohtani, but I meant as an Angel)

Edited by ten ocho recon scout

Just now, ten ocho recon scout said:

In Artes defense, $700 mill is a shit ton to spend on a guy with a bad elbow who may never pitch again.

It's a shit ton to spend on anybody, period.

Then again, we spent $800  on Pujols, Hamilton, Upton, Harvey, Cowart, Wells, and Rendon.

Ohtani has more MVPs than all of them combined... more All Stars as an Angel than all of them combined....

Of its actually true that Shohei was willing to stay for the same money the Dodgers offered, than fuck Arte. 

There's literally no argument.

And remember that we got saved by the Red Sox when they "stole" Crawford from us... because Arte balked at Beltre wanting $14 mill more over 7 years than we were willing to go.

(History lesson. We gave Wells 16 less than Beltre, and Beltre is in the Hall. And we gave up Napoli to get Wells.)

Harvey?

Really?

3 hours ago, Ochocinco! said:

Can we just get over it, he’s gone and he’s a dodger for life. Arte sucks yes. He should have sold yes. But at the end of the day he’ll continue to spend this off-season, god only knows on what. However this franchise has been through worse times than this. This is the fandom we chose and no matter how many times I tell myself I’m done watching this team I always come back and have that tiny sliver of hope going into a season, which is more than what most teams can say.

It’s time we all just accept Ohtani is gone and he’s where he wants to be

images (18).jpeg

Committing $700mil to Ohtani essentially obligates you to a lot more than that.  

I would have to guess that any 'opportunity' to match the Dogs contract would have also included various stipulations in regard to a commitment to win.  Betting there was a more robust opt out clause than the dogs were given.  

the dogs are going to have a huge payroll regardless of one player.  The Angels likely aren't or at least Arte wouldn't want one player to dictate how he was going to run his business over the next 10 years and the impact of that over 20.  

Think of it this way.  Ohtani created space for the Dogs to add payroll in the first 10 years and still owe him almost 70m per after that stint is over.  

Was it ever realistic for Arte to guarantee a payroll of $230+ mil for Ohtani's first 10 years AND give him another 700m for the following 10?  That's probably closer to a commitment of a billion dollars actually.  

Throwing big money at the team once in awhile is a lot different than a 20 year commitment for a 77 year old man who's almost sold the team once recently.  

And let's be honest.  It's a lot easier to tell the fanbase that you want the team to be competitive and roll with a competitive payroll than to be forced into your max limits for a decade.  

53 minutes ago, Angels_Make_Me_Drink said:

Fuck Arte for not trading him. That prospect haul could've been a nice boost to the farm system; even if it was a 1/2 year rental. 

And don’t forget they’d still have everyone they gave up for the dipshit plan to compete.

I’m surprised that Bobby Valentine said this. He and Minasian are pretty close so I’m sure Arte will have some questions for Perry. It also could be Valentine trying to be sure to get the narrative out that his good friend had a plan but it was vetoed by Arte. 

I have no problem with him not wanting to match that offer.  The Angels sinking another huge 10year deal to a 30-40yr old Ohtani would be a mistake for the on field success LT. 

The problem is not seeing the obvious (he's leaving and we're not contending) and trading him in summer 2022, off-season 2022, summer 2023.  Every opportunity to start a rebuild using the one true asset you have...and failure again from Arte.  Just sell...please 

Arte sucks and now I am trying to convince my 16 year old not to become a Dodger fan.  

Just get rid of the team Arte.  You have set this team back so far in the last 5 months.  Don't even bother wasting your money on some past their prime pitchers that we are left hoping for a rebound.  Just leave, just sell the team. 

The Angels were supposedly making 30 a year from selling broadcasting rights to Japan. (And maybe advertisements mixed in with that) 

If we made the same deal, at least for the near future (assuming he stays as good as he's been), the Angels would have been making $28 a year profit off him? (Assuming he is only paid $2 a year).

If you invest 20 of that 28 million in a high yield account, it would have paid for at least half of his contract in the years after he retired.

Just listening to MLB radio they are clowning 🤡 Arte saying he set us back for years to come. They said everyone saw the writing on the wall to trade him but Arte took the approach of having the fans in the seats . They also said Arte makes perry's job that much Harder and Perry would get another GM Job tomorrow if Arte keeps the team and fires him.