• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Forget About Yamamoto

SoCalDucksFan

2 minutes ago, rottiesworld said:

I don’t think any high profile players will sign here until Moreno sells the team and is long gone from here. 

Where I'm at, too - well, with the caveat that "everything else being equal, they'll choose a team that's not a clusterf*** and has a chance at the post-season."

So, we have to overpay, take on risky players, and maybe pick up a guy who'll come here for $1 more than someone else offers and doesn't care if they ever go to the playoffs.  

Ohtani leaving doesn't help our reputation as a desirable place to play - but I suspect most FA's already would prefer somewhere else to play.  He could've gotten that same deal from Arte - but he didn't want to stay here.  That speaks volumes.  

Oh, did I go 10 minutes without saying "FU, Arte, please, for the love of God, sell the team already."

(ahem)

20 hours ago, SoCalDucksFan said:

Is there something about this team not to feel miserable about?

You do realize that fans of New York & Chicago teams will spend day and night complaining and acting miserable about teams they support, when those teams are sucking it up.

Perhaps if you visited the Anaheim Ducks board, you can tell all the fans who have been following the Ducks for 20-30 years, and are now bitter and miserable about how things are going, that they should also stop following their team.

The Angels have a pathetic owner, haven't come close to making the playoffs as a wild card team for 9 straight seasons, and just lost a generational player to a team that everyone here apparently hates more than any other team in the league, and you're asking why following them makes me miserable?

When the Angels have a decent owner, and demonstrate that they're capable of winning and making the playoffs, and I'm still complaining, feel free to criticize me all you want.  Fact is, if they ever got their act together, which under current ownership seems highly unlikely, I'll be more than happy to convey an optimistic tone.  Right now, I'm sorry, but I can't sit here and say what an amazing ship the Titanic is, and how happy I am to be on it's maiden voyage, while it's taking on water.

Maybe start with the fact that it's just a sports team

4 hours ago, DCAngelsFan said:

So, just to be clear, he's not meeting with the Angels?

Did we ask him and his agent laughed at us? 

Or are we just so beat-down we didn't even bother calling?

I think right now Arte is feeling like "The Colonel", at the end of the movie Boogie Nights. 

Maybe 1 person on this board will get the reference. And whoever you are, I hope you liked that reference.

435bb017-cc8f-4416-8644-2d28089ef2d3_text.gif

I know most people assume you have to spend a lot of money to win, but the Rays (and Guardians for awhile) prove every year that you don't.  A team with a strong analysis and scouting department can circumvent player payroll.  What we need Arte to do, beyond all else, is invest heavily in those areas.  It DOES seem like he is starting to, but that is only a fairly recent development.

We have some good young talent, but obviously need more.  What we CAN'T do, IMO, is start trading our young talent for "win now" type moves.  Keep developing players, see if you can overpay (within reason) for a player or two, and then keep building from within.

2 hours ago, Warfarin said:

I know most people assume you have to spend a lot of money to win, but the Rays (and Guardians for awhile) prove every year that you don't.  A team with a strong analysis and scouting department can circumvent player payroll.  What we need Arte to do, beyond all else, is invest heavily in those areas.  It DOES seem like he is starting to, but that is only a fairly recent development.

We have some good young talent, but obviously need more.  What we CAN'T do, IMO, is start trading our young talent for "win now" type moves.  Keep developing players, see if you can overpay (within reason) for a player or two, and then keep building from within.

Yes this! spend the money/ invest in scouting and development by paying and getting the right people, maybe start with bringing back Victor Rojas as President of Baseball Operations.......

15 hours ago, Lhalo said:

@FromJapan what’s the Angels’ reputation like over in Nippon?

"Current Reputation of the Angels in Japan" with a little help from Google AI.

Future of Angels' Popularity in Japan:

Japanese media coverage: The focus in Japanese media is currently on Ohtani's move to the Dodgers. Reports coverage of the Angels' future are limited, mostly consisting of news articles originating from the US with rare original Japanese articles. Views range from pessimism about a 'dark period' to cautious optimism about potential to acquire new players through increased budget flexibility.
Japanese Broadcasts: As there is a high possibility that NHK broadcasting of the Angels' games will disappear from next season, reduced coverage is concerned. These will likely be restricted to pay-TV channels like MLB.TV, unless the team makes a playoff run or another Japanese star joins the roster.
Fan sentiment in Japan: Many fans developed an affinity for the Angels due to Ohtani, but their connection is weaker than for local Japanese teams. Many are likely to lose interest to the Angels without a Japanese player.

Possible future developments:

New Japanese players: Acquiring another Japanese star player could reignite interest and broadcasts.
Team success: A strong season or playoff run could rekindle fan passion in Japan.
Media coverage shift: Increased focus on other Japanese players in MLB could indirectly contribute to the Angels.

Overall, while Ohtani's departure has undoubtedly impacted the Angels' visibility in Japan, there are potential avenues for them to maintain or even rebuild their fanbase. The team's future success and strategic decisions regarding Japanese players will play a crucial role in shaping their image in the Japanese market.

10 hours ago, Warfarin said:

Parenthetically, it needs to be said that we cannot worry about getting into the playoffs during the "Trout window" - this can no longer guide our thinking.  No need to recap this past season's catastrophic "reload for a playoff run".

Like you say, we need to build using improvements in scouting (both US and international), player development, analysis, and while we're at it,  get our names out of the "bad press" business - treat players and their families better, at all levels - no more articles about guys living in their cars and going hungry or being one of the only clubs voting against things like increased spending caps.  I guarantee you, this team has a bit of a crap reputation among players - not Oakland A's terrible, but not the Dodgers, either.  

Arte's had 20 years to figure this out, and I see few signs of progress - he needs to sell the team to someone with the vision and the will and the money to fix all this broken culture and infrastructure.  

12 hours ago, HaloBronco said:

maybe start with bringing back Victor Rojas as President of Baseball Business Operations.......

Victor’s great, but he has no Baseball Operations experience.

Business operations, though, yes.

He’s way more in tune with the fans than Carpino.

Edited by BTH