• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels hire Ron Washington as manager

mmc

5 hours ago, floplag said:

Personally, im mixed.  No question there is a ton of baseball knowledge there and perhaps more importantly the ability to impart it, obviously good things, but also a lot of baggage.  I wasnt psyched about when i read it due to a lot of that the idea but thats moot now so ill support him.
I do think it likely speaks well to the overall direction.
Well see where it goes from here. 
I will say this, those who are ok with some of the baggage issues around him should be the same about other players as well. 

Shut up nerd 

6 hours ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

Long term direction is built not bought. Imagine if they had just said fuck it...We want Nevin to be the manager for 8 years come hell or high water because hes a gritty gamer.

It's extremely important to identify the weak points and adjust accordingly. Thats what they are doing. I would like to see Perry extended because i believe he can build a winner and i like the fact that he learns and adjusts. If Torii is in fact on the coaching staff, giving him 2 years to learn from someone like Washington is priceless. I think hes going to have a huge impact on the players as well. People feed of that energy. He brings experience and accountability to a very young roster and i think he's going to have an impact on Trouts leadership or lack there of as well.

No shocker about Torii turning down the 1B offer.  The halos didn't fly him out to view the facilities and wine and dine at Morton's.    Not a whole lot of effort made there.   Looks like you're back to square one since no weak points have been addressed yet.

9 minutes ago, Swordsman78 said:

No shocker about Torii turning down the 1B offer.  The halos didn't fly him out to view the facilities and wine and dine at Morton's.    Not a whole lot of effort made there.   Looks like you're back to square one since no weak points have been addressed yet.

Looks like you’re out of gas on the troll wagon. Better go fill up. 

1 hour ago, Swordsman78 said:

Sign Lorenzen will get halos on right path

7 hours ago, Swordsman78 said:

Uh...okay so if the halos don't make the playoffs in the next 2 seasons, then what was the point?

What's the point of trolling? 

Nevin is gone, he seemingly left on good terms and I doubt anyone in MLB holds him responsible for what happened last year.   None of your bellyaching and low level trolling is going to change anything.

Instead of pretending that Nevin was this super manager that was done wrong, why not just consider that he was brought back on a year deal because the team was for sale and now that it's not they are looking longer term. If I'm someone considering hiring a manager I'd not look at his time in Anaheim as a negative.  Dude had no job certainty, was dealing with the reality the team was putting all it's eggs in a basket to try to keep a star player, and then saw it all come apart due to injuries. 

Personally I think he did his job, he filled in, didn't break anything.

5 hours ago, Vegas Halo Fan said:

There are Mets fans on social media who are pissed because they whiffed on Counsell and Washington, and settled for a Yankees bench coach who has never managed.

It does seem like an odd pivot from Buck Showalter.

Calors Mendoza -- aka Nevin East or to the Latin American fans, "El Gran Nevino" ... @Taylor go ahead and do the racist emoji now.

2 hours ago, Angels 1961 said:

Halos start 4 and 13 AW will be asking for new manager and GM. Blaming Arte will be big topic. Changing managers will have little difference in Angels in 2024.

If the Angels start 4-13, people with brains will probably not be thrilled but they also will not overly freak out because it’s a 162 game season.

Remember last year when the Rangers “fell apart”?

All things considered, the best choice. 

He will have the motivation to make an impact and show the baseball world that he shouldn't have been overlooked for so long. 

Age? A non factor. If relatively healthy and goal focussed he should be fine. Also, I doubt expectations are for a long term. If he can add stability, give the team structure and turn them around he'll be doing his job. 

It buys the Angels time to think longer term as well. That's why his assistants will be watched carefully too. A potential grooming situation. As well as scouting other options for down the road. 

Game management should be improved. Once he gets up to speed with the roster and sees them in spring training I'm sure he will have some creative tweaks we haven't seen before. He's more experienced in the dugout than just about anyone and should be a good strategist. 

A smart pick. Better than just getting another retread going through the revolving door and changing teams every few years.

37 minutes ago, Duren, Duren said:

All things considered, the best choice. 

He will have the motivation to make an impact and show the baseball world that he shouldn't have been overlooked for so long. 

Age? A non factor. If relatively healthy and goal focussed he should be fine. Also, I doubt expectations are for a long term. If he can add stability, give the team structure and turn them around he'll be doing his job. 

It buys the Angels time to think longer term as well. That's why his assistants will be watched carefully too. A potential grooming situation. As well as scouting other options for down the road. 

Game management should be improved. Once he gets up to speed with the roster and sees them in spring training I'm sure he will have some creative tweaks we haven't seen before. He's more experienced in the dugout than just about anyone and should be a good strategist. 

A smart pick. Better than just getting another retread going through the revolving door and changing teams every few years.

i don't know how much GMs consult with managers about free agents, but i'm curious to see if RW is involved or to what degree he's involved in who the halos pursue this winter.

9 minutes ago, Tank said:

i don't know how much GMs consult with managers about free agents, but i'm curious to see if RW is involved or to what degree he's involved in who the halos pursue this winter.

I think it’s the other way around. 

Players are a close knit community, and seeing how much love is being served by Braves over Ron leaving leads me to believe there are a lot of players who are more open or interested in coming to Anaheim. They’re pursuing us.

9 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I think it’s the other way around. 

Players are a close knit community, and seeing how much love is being served by Braves over Ron leaving leads me to believe there are a lot of players who are more open or interested in coming to Anaheim. They’re pursuing us.

I’m legit pumped to see what he can do with Neto and schanuel. Neto might be a perennial gold glover in short order with RW  guidance. Schanuel becoming even a solid defensive 1b would be massive for his all around game.