• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels Managerial Search Thread

BTH

53 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

Giants ask permission to speak to Melvin, next day he is hired. Halos drag their feet about Buck he will end up in SD. Minasian has to get OK from Arte to do anything. 

Looking into the hire a little more...I found the last few lines of this article interesting. As the hire was made by a similarly "lame duck" GM who turned to a "familiar face" as manager as I suspect Minasian will do in recommending/hiring Showalter...

As for Melvin, he’ll now take over another team in need of a culture change.  After winning 107 games in 2021, the Giants are 159-163 over the last two seasons, and Kapler’s hands-off managerial style was starting to seem more like a detriment than a plus.  Several Giants players, either on or off the record, felt the club was somewhat directionless, with Logan Webb outright stating he felt “we have to make some big changes in here to create that winning culture.”

These criticisms extended not only to Kapler but to president of baseball operations Farhan Zaidi, whose contract is believed to run only through the end of the 2024 season. As such, Zaidi is also certainly feeling the pressure to build a contending roster, and the Giants are expected to be aggressive shoppers this winter after missing out on both Aaron Judge and Carlos Correa as a big-ticket addition last offseason.  Faced with what might be a make-or-break scenario, it probably isn’t surprising that Zaidi has turned to a familiar face as manager — Zaidi previously worked as the Athletics’ assistant GM during Melvin’s tenure in Oakland.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/10/giants-to-hire-bob-melvin-as-manager.html

20 hours ago, khouse said:

I would love for it to be Erstad as I know his name has been bandied about as a potential candidate. But has anyone seen anything in print or otherwise from him saying he's even interested in the gig? 

No.  Erstad coming out of people’s mouths is just a symptom of Angels manager discussion tourette syndrome.

Edited by Dtwncbad

With Torey Lovullo and Bruce Bochy being the managers in the World Series, and Rob Thompson and Dusty Baker being the managers in the Championship series, you'd have to think they are looking at older "old school" managers.. 

But maybe not. I just hope they don't hire Ray Montgomery.

15 minutes ago, Hubs said:

With Torey Lovullo and Bruce Bochy being the managers in the World Series, and Rob Thompson and Dusty Baker being the managers in the Championship series, you'd have to think they are looking at older "old school" managers.. 

But maybe not. I just hope they don't hire Ray Montgomery.

Lovullo has done a good job in season and especially playoffs The other 3 had really good players. Angels must decide what direction they are taking this off season. After 8 years of losing, I hope a new direction is taken.

10 minutes ago, AngelStew43 said:

Gary DiSarcina was let go by the Nationals.  He might be a good interview for the manager's job.  

He has front office and coaching experience with several teams, including the Angels. 

Yeah, let’s scoop up a guy who the Nationals didn’t want to keep around as a 3B coach.

3 minutes ago, greginpsca said:

They are cutting pay for front office people and coaches. Their AGM just left for this reason. I am pretty sure Disar was lat go also.

I heard that the reason why the coaches were let go was because Davey Martinez wanted to modernize his staff and bring in fresh ideas.

Not a fan of bringing in a guy who the Nationals dumped. Maybe as a coach, but not as manager.

2 minutes ago, BTH said:

I heard that the reason why the coaches were let go was because Davey Martinez wanted to modernize his staff and bring in fresh ideas.

Not a fan of bringing in a guy who the Nationals dumped. Maybe as a coach, but not as manager.

I am not a fan of Disar for manager or coach. He coached for the Angels and was a Bill Hasselman clone.

1 hour ago, BTH said:

Yeah, let’s scoop up a guy who the Nationals didn’t want to keep around as a 3B coach.

Not sure why you are against this. The only criteria that some rely on is former Angels player. A fired 3B coach or former college manager, who both would never be considered by another team, are prime Angel Manager candidates.

Edited by bruin5