• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official 2023 MLB Postseason Gameday Threads

m0nkey

So much for the Dodgers/Braves superteams.

The playoffs are so different than the regular season. Depth and consistency aren't as important. Anyone on a roster can get hot or ice cold over a short span of two to seven games. And managing and decision making  become even more important.

I'd like Arizona  and Texas to win. Anyone but Houston.

There are a few guys in the history of baseball that I have stopped to watch in big moments. Reggie Jackson was one. David Ortiz was another. And Bryce Harper is the most current one for me.

I know some people don't believe being "clutch" is a thing, but in my opinion some guys thrive in big moments.

It's one of the best things about baseball and sports in general.

38 minutes ago, T.G. said:

It's ridiculous to me that in the postseason, teams can go several days without playing a game.

It can definitely get a little crazy.

https://www.mlb.com/postseason

In theory, the Astros or Rangers could have 7 days off between the Championship Series and the first game of the World Series. 

All the teams in the Championship Series have 3-4 days off between the Division Series and the CS. 

I understand that they have to build out the schedule in anticipation of all series going the max, but it really kills momentum from a viewership standpoint when teams wrap up a series early.  I'll be curious to see how the ratings for this year shake out, now that the teams with the biggest national audiences (Braves, Dodgers) and the two "underdog" teams (Orioles, Rays) are out.  D-Backs have no national following and weren't even all that good this year (they have a negative run differential).  Corbin Carroll is exciting, but the average baseball fan doesn't really know much about him yet.  Phillies are kind of interesting, I guess?  Then Astros/Rangers will probably be moderately entertaining, but, again, neither has much of a national profile.

34 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

In theory, the Astros or Rangers could have 7 days off between the Championship Series and the first game of the World Series. 

All the teams in the Championship Series have 3-4 days off between the Division Series and the CS. 

I understand that they have to build out the schedule in anticipation of all series going the max, but it really kills momentum from a viewership standpoint when teams wrap up a series early.  I'll be curious to see how the ratings for this year shake out, now that the teams with the biggest national audiences (Braves, Dodgers) and the two "underdog" teams (Orioles, Rays) are out.  D-Backs have no national following and weren't even all that good this year (they have a negative run differential).  Corbin Carroll is exciting, but the average baseball fan doesn't really know much about him yet.  Phillies are kind of interesting, I guess?  Then Astros/Rangers will probably be moderately entertaining, but, again, neither has much of a national profile.

Many D-Back fans in Orange County, after they beat the Dodgers.

7 hours ago, jsnpritchett said:

The new format is a real excitement killer for me, but I understand Im an outlier. 

It's pretty clear that all the days off negatively impact teams, and adding in additional shorter short series is only increasing the randomness of the outcomes.

To me the playoffs is better with fewer teams on basically the same schedule. If they need to have expanded playoffs then they really need to find a way to make it a little more balanced in favor of the top teams.

5 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

The new format is a real excitement killer for me, but I understand Im an outlier. 

It's pretty clear that all the days off negatively impact teams, and adding in additional shorter short series is only increasing the randomness of the outcomes.

To me the playoffs is better with fewer teams on basically the same schedule. If they need to have expanded playoffs then they really need to find a way to make it a little more balanced in favor of the top teams.

Yep, I'm with you.  I don't find that the additional teams add to the excitement at all. 

Y'all would be looking at this differently if the Angels were still competing for the last wild card spot over the last 8 years. But being 3rd or worse in a five team division and 10 games out every September takes the excitement out of watching other teams in the playoffs. 

2 hours ago, Blarg said:

Y'all would be looking at this differently if the Angels were still competing for the last wild card spot over the last 8 years. But being 3rd or worse in a five team division and 10 games out every September takes the excitement out of watching other teams in the playoffs. 

Not true for me. The long gaps between games is annoying, regardless of who is playing.

8 minutes ago, T.G. said:

Not true doe me. The long gaps between games is annoying, regardless of who is playing.

Well said?

These gaps between games are not because of the playoff format but because the first round were all sweeps.  Then no series went the distance in the second round. If Phillies and Braves went five games we would have had baseball last night and then a game tonight in the new series that starts tonight. 

14 hours ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

I don’t think this opinion is an outlier. Adding teams just waters it down and eventually it’s going to suck like the NBA playoffs where half the league makes it. I like it better when multiple teams have to fight tooth and nail the last week of the season just to get one spot. 

16 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Well said?

These gaps between games are not because of the playoff format but because the first round were all sweeps.  Then no series went the distance in the second round. If Phillies and Braves went five games we would have had baseball last night and then a game tonight in the new series that starts tonight. 

The more rounds you have, the more likely that at least some teams will end up with long gaps between games, though.

7 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

The more rounds you have, the more likely that at least some teams will end up with long gaps between games, though.

Yes. But there used to be a benefit to have time off, to set your rotation, to heal from the stretch drive.  Now because this year 3 of the top 4 teams lost after the layoff, we assume it’s broken.