• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Where will Ohtani play in 2024?

T.G.

Where will Ohtani sign/play in 2024?  

104 members have voted

1. 1. Which team will Shohei Ohtani sign with this off season?

His physical breakdown makes it a tricky offseason of free-agency for Ohtani. He probably won't get $600 million or more over a decade. A second elbow reconstruction and a fully lost season of pitching turns him into a premium DH and little more for at least one season. In his 30s, there is no guarantee he'll ever be as effective as a pitcher as he was pre-injury. 

I also wonder how much trust he has in the Angels' medical staff.

I wish Shohei well in his future endeavors, The locker clear-out seems pretty final from an Angels' standpoint.

3 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

I have it on good authority that the Angels plan to play clips from all the Fast and Furious movies where Dominic Torreto talks about family on the scoreboard during the Angels final home game.  No way Ohtani can walk away after that.

He can if he isn't in the ballpark to see it.

On 9/18/2023 at 10:05 PM, T.G. said:

@FromJapan - where do you think Ohtani will sign? What’s the sentiment in Japan?

On September 18th (Japan standard time), Ohtani was featured on NHK's 9pm news show.  The reporter was Shuta Yamamoto (Correspondent, NHK General Bureau for America), who has been primarily in charge of the MLB since August 2020 and has been focusing on covering Ohtani.  He has published and updated  Ohtani's words from before the WBC opening to most recent, titled "The collection of Ohtani's sayings 2023 (in Japanese)".

Here are his thoughts on the key points regarding Ohtani's transfer.
"What is certain is that he wants to be on a winning team. Since he will be 30 years old next year, I think his top priority is to reach the playoffs, considering the rest of his playing career."

(Link) Yamamoto Shuta | NHK WORLD-JAPAN News 

Meanwhile, a Japanese commentator has even suggested that the Angels may be the only team where Ohtani can return to pitching, as they have supported him as a two-way player to the best of their ability. 

Reference in Japanese: Yahoo! Japan news on September 18
----

(My personal prediction)
The Angels' current situation is difficult to improve in a short period of time, so Ohtani is likely to choose another team if he decides that his wish will not come true unless he leaves. His destination team may change, depending on the severity of his elbow injury, the type of surgery, and whether he can return to pitching after successful surgery. So I can't predict his destination team right now.

----

(The sentiment in Japan)
The following MLB teams are popular among Japanese fans.

• Long-established teams in major metropolitan areas (e.g., the Yankees and the Dodgers)
  • Teams with which Japanese players are or have been affiliated
  • West Coast teams (which are relatively close to Japan)

For example, a Yankees cap is a popular fashion accessory among Japanese girls.

From the perspective of people living in Japan, MLB teams are not supported by Japanese fans as their local teams. For this reason, even though the possibility of Ohtani's transfer has been reported in Japan, there have been no detailed reports on the specific candidate teams he might transfer to. If Ohtani were to leave the Angels, unless they are rare die-hard fans of a specific team, many Japanese people would be rooting for him and his new team without any particular preference, even if they are not familiar with.

• 2 weeks later...

San Diego cutting payroll so they are out. Seattle will not put up that kind of money so they are out. SF would spend but not winning every year so they are out. Angels 8 losing seasons so they are out. Dodgers maybe but they do not like 8 or 9 year deals. Dodgers win every year and really do not need Ohtani. JD Martinez on 10 mill to DH had nice year. Jason Heyward picked off scrap heap very nice year. So why would they spend 500 mill. I'm going out on limb and say it will be Cubs.