• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Where will Ohtani play in 2024?

T.G.

Where will Ohtani sign/play in 2024?  

104 members have voted

1. 1. Which team will Shohei Ohtani sign with this off season?

Just now, Stradling said:

I would pay Ohtani $30 million a year, and give him $750k per start.  So if he starts 20 games he makes $45 million a season.  If he makes 30 starts (which he hasn’t done yet in his career and it is tough to do in a 6 man rotation) he will make $52.5 million.  A DH should not get $40 million a year, regardless of who he is.  

No way he's getting 10-12 years now.

2 minutes ago, Taylor said:

No way he's getting 10-12 years now.

I still think he will get that but again it’s how you structure it. I don’t think the appeal is nearly the same if he’s only hitting, even if he moves to the outfield. The appeal is in doing something that is unique. 

6 hours ago, jsnpritchett said:

Here's the basic Google Translate version. Seems to pretty much be saying that Moreno, Carpino, and Minasian met at the GM meetings to discuss Ohtani.

[MLB] Is there a strategy meeting for Shohei Ohtani to stay? Extremely unusual: Angels team owner Moreno appears at the GM meeting venue and discusses it.

[SCOTTSDALE, Arizona, U.S.] 6th (7th Japan time): The day before the general manager (GM) meeting attended by executives and agents from major league baseball teams, Angels owner Art Moreno and team president John Carpino meet. , GM Perry Minasian held a meeting at the venue.

The Angels' top management is holding an emergency meeting regarding the retention of pitcher Shohei Ohtani, who is the biggest highlight of this off-season free agency. It is unusual for owner Moreno and team president Carpino to appear at the venue of the meeting. The three of them, including GM Minasian, spent more than two hours talking in the morning at a restaurant in the venue, and after a detailed ``strategy meeting'' for the GM meeting, the GM saw Owner Moreno off to the parking lot and smiled. Moved around the venue.

Ohtani became a free agent for the first time on the 2nd (3rd). The Angels, which he played for until this season, had an exclusive negotiation period of 2 to 5 days, but after the deadline of 5:00 pm Eastern time (7:00 am Japan time on the 7th), Ohtani's team will begin contract negotiations with all major teams. becomes possible.

GM Minassian will be available for interviews on the 7th and 8th (8th and 9th) during the conference. All eyes will be on what he will say about Ohtani's departure.

I'm paraphrasing a little.

(Original article in Japanese) Sankei Sports on November 7th

[MLB] Did Angels' Moreno, Carpino, Minasian hold an exceptional strategy meeting at the venue of GM meetings to retain Ohtani?

[Scottsdale, Arizona on November 6th (7th, Japan Standard Time)]
The day before the MLB general managers meetings, which bring together all GMs, front office executives and agents, Arte Moreno, the owner of the Los Angeles Angels, John Carpino, the team president, and Perry Minasian, the general manager, held a meeting at the venue.

It seems that the top brass of the Los Angeles Angels held an emergency meeting regarding the retention of Shohei Ohtani, who is the biggest free agent attraction this offseason. It is unusual for Moreno and Carpino to appear at the venue of the GM meeting. The three of them, including GM Minassian, discussed for over two hours in a restaurant at the venue in the morning. After completing the meticulous "strategy meeting" for the GM meeting, Minasian saw off Moreno to the parking lot and moved around the venue with a smile.

Ohtani became a free agent for the first time in his career on November 2 (November 3, JST). The Angels, his team until this season, had an exclusive negotiating period for 5 days from November 2, but after the deadline of 5pm Eastern Time on November 6 (7am on November 7, JST), Ohtani's side will be able to negotiate with any team in MLB.

Minasian, the Angels' general manager, is scheduled to be interviewed on both November 7 and 8 (November 8 and 9, JST) during the GM meetings. His comments on Ohtani's future will be closely watched.

I have 0 doubts that Arte will offer Ohtani a fuckton of money. It all comes down to if he wants to play here for the rest of his career. Arte doesn't seem to do opt outs but maybe this could be different.

I think Ohtani wants to stay and WIN with the Angels above all else. But whether they can convince him they can is the question. 

Perhaps we'll see some preemptive moves to show him we aren't fucking around (Snell, for example).

I don't think he stays but I'm hopeful. I know they're going to do everything they can to convince him. 

48 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

I have 0 doubts that Arte will offer Ohtani a fuckton of money. It all comes down to if he wants to play here for the rest of his career. Arte doesn't seem to do opt outs but maybe this could be different.

I think Ohtani wants to stay and WIN with the Angels above all else. But whether they can convince him they can is the question. 

Perhaps we'll see some preemptive moves to show him we aren't fucking around (Snell, for example).

I don't think he stays but I'm hopeful. I know they're going to do everything they can to convince him. 

Yep, my guess is the “strategy” meeting they had this week was based on what they would be willing to do, what their ceiling was. I heard from the second most reliable person in the org that as of a few weeks back Arte hadn’t decided if they were going to go after him. So if I had to guess the strategy was based on years, dollars, contract stipulations and what they would do to show him they were serious about winning. I can’t imagine that Perry went to the GM Meetings not knowing if they would be going after Ohtani, that much I am sure he knew.  This meeting was more to know what the limits were. 

4 hours ago, FromJapan said:

It seems that the top brass of the Los Angeles Angels held an emergency meeting regarding the retention of Shohei Ohtani

How do we know the meeting was about Ohtani and not something else such as, hiring a manager.

3 hours ago, Jay said:

How do we know the meeting was about Ohtani and not something else such as, hiring a manager.

Certainly, the contents of this Japanese sports media article were nothing more than speculation.

They went of their way to hold meetings in person rather than online.
At least, it is speculated that

1. It is necessary to maintain a high level of confidentiality.
  2. It has a huge impact on the management of the team.
  3. At the GM meeting, it is certain that many other teams would ask questions about this, so it was necessary to carefully prepare answers to anticipated questions.

The GM meeting was covered by NHK 7PM News Show on November 8th (JST). None of the teams revealed their plans regarding Ohtani's free agency. Dodgers and Giants are scheduled to respond to an interview on the 8th.

Edited by FromJapan
Add X (Twitter)

• 3 weeks later...

(YouTube, From 3:20) Interview with director Kuriyama on November 29, 2023

Kuriyama was the manager of the NPB Hokkaido Nippon-Ham Fighters, which Ohtani belonged to during his NPB era, and was the manager of the 2023 WBC Japan team.

All eyes are on which team's uniform Shohei Ohtani will wear next season.
When a reporter asked Kuriyama a direct question, ”Where is Ohtani going next season?" He acted as if he knew, "Is it okay for me to say this?" But he quickly replied with a wry smile, "That's not true." "He's thinking about a lot of things right now. It won't take long, and I'm sure he'll tell everyone properly. I hope you'll support him wherever he goes."

When followed by a question, "Have you received any information about which team Ohtani will go to?" He denied, "I haven't received any information, it really hasn't come to me!" "If his information had actually come to me... , I can't make jokes like this," he said with a laugh.

1 minute ago, BTH said:

I know Ohtani has said in the past that he wants to win, but do we know if that’s really a motivating factor in him picking his destination?

Like every player wants to win.

There was an interesting interview with giolito and even in his short time with the team said ohtani is entirely about winning. He wants to be a legend.

image.thumb.jpeg.4887bb6a2b43aa9274eb8854fa471ef5.jpeg

Earlier reports of the Mariners being out seem legit since Passan isn't mentioning them at all. Mets could circle back - it wouldn't be the first time - but I suspect they're not a team Ohtani is interested in. Yankees also not mentioned; I think they're out.

Of the rest, I'm surprised to see Toronto still in, but I suspect there's little to that from Ohtani's perspective. Cubs were a team Ohtani was interested in last time, but the former brain trust there turned him off with their pitch. Different group in charge now, so maybe he's still interested in the idea of being a Cub. Giants have money to spend, got buttercupped twice with Arson Judge and Correa, so I'm sure the front office wants to make a splash, but beyond being on the west coast, I don't see what advantage they'd have over us in the short term. 

Still, I think Fletcher was right a week or so ago when he said it's the Dodgers or the Angels. Money won't be the deciding factor. It'll come down to whether he prioritizes the fit or who gives him the best chance to win. With most teams, being a "winning team" means little more than that they've been good lately, regardless of whether they're likely to win in the future. Angels are willing to spend money: They're one of the higher spenders in the league. The issue with the Angels is we haven't made the playoffs since 2014 and haven't won a playoff game in over a decade. Ohtani's experience here probably concerns him a bit if he's absolutely committed to playing in October (I.e. that's what motivates him more than anything at this juncture), and I would totally understand that. 

Anyone else fearful of another knee-jerk reaction by Moreno if Ohtani signs elsewhere?  Similar circumstances in the past resulted in Vernon Wells and Rendon.

I’m on record that the team would be better off allocating the Ohtani dollars elsewhere and spreading the risk, but not at the expense of a knee-jerk signing of Snell and Bellinger.

51 minutes ago, HBAngel13 said:

Anyone else fearful of another knee-jerk reaction by Moreno if Ohtani signs elsewhere?  Similar circumstances in the past resulted in Vernon Wells and Rendon.

Yes.

Feels like Snell or Bellinger will be his rebound.