• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What’s the plan for next season

TroutField

39 minutes ago, Lazorko Saves said:

I don't know what ya'll mean by "rebuild".

You can't trade Trout, Rendon, or Anderson.

So "rebuild" means you're keeping those guys and trading what we have of value, for even younger, less-proven players: Neto, O'Hoppe, Sandoval, Detmers, Schanuel.

WTF do you all think that does?  Is it all about losing 100 games and getting very high draft picks for the next five years?  Or what?

That's what Baltimore and Houston did to build up their roster with great young players. It hurt for a few years but eventually paid off.

39 minutes ago, Lazorko Saves said:

I don't know what ya'll mean by "rebuild".

You can't trade Trout, Rendon, or Anderson.

So "rebuild" means you're keeping those guys and trading what we have of value, for even younger, less-proven players: Neto, O'Hoppe, Sandoval, Detmers, Schanuel.

WTF do you all think that does?  Is it all about losing 100 games and getting very high draft picks for the next five years?  Or what?

I think you rebuild around younger players. Stay away from high priced FA ( real good ones will not be coming here). Angel's have so many needs especially in BP. Years away from competing for playoffs.

8 hours ago, Stradling said:

My thoughts on where they are for next year is they will run it back, with free agent acquisitions.  We just have to hope for a few things.  One, that Perry chooses wisely how he spends the huge amounts of money he will have available to spend.  We have to hope for health of Trout and Rendon, which even if this team played well this year, we would have to hope for the health of those two.  The last thing we need is for the young guys to take a step forward.  If you have a strong bullpen you can win a lot of games.  So if Bachman, Joyce, Soriano, and possibly C-Rod lock down the bullpen, the team has a chance.  We also need Sandoval and Detmers to pitch like they did in 2022 and not like they pitched this year.  Sure there are a lot of question marks but it isn’t out of the realm of possibility that the young guys the team has puts it together.  

1b: Schanuel/Drury

2b: Drury/Paris/Rengifo

SS: Neto/Rengifo

3rd: Rendon/Drury/Rengifo

Catcher: O’Hoppe/Stassi/Thaiss

LF: Ward

CF: Trout

RF: Moniak/Adell

4th OF: Free Agent?

SP: Sandoval/Detmers/Canning/Anderson/Silseth/Free Agent/Free Agent

RP: Joyce/Bachman/Soriano/CRod/Estevez/Suarez maybe/Free Agent

That is probably where we are at and we know there will be money spent on pitching and probably one infielder and one or two outfielders.  That team I lined out has only about 4-5 guys over 30 and the rest being 26 or younger?  Without actually checking Trout, Stassi, Anderson, Drury, Rendon are over 30 next year? Ward I think is turning 30. Then the rest are 26 or younger.  

I will take this roster over most that we have put out there in the last decade because we have 3 very young everyday players that can be the core of the next generation of Angels baseball, and we have some talent on the pitching staff that is young and one you don’t have to squint to see their talent.  

I feel that we may have a bit of difficulty attracting more that just the fringe free agents, especially pitchers.  

2 hours ago, totdprods said:

It’s part of why I’ve advocated for them dealing someone like Sandoval for a couple MLB-ready hitters. Baltimore has a glut of infielders. Prying away one of those guys or an outfielder and then signing an mid-tier arm to a 2-3 year deal might help address Sandy’s inconsistency in the rotation and add another hitter to the young core. 

I love this idea.

As you said, Baltimore has a ton of young hitters.

Ortiz, Westburg, Cowser, Kjerstad, Mayo, Norby, etc.

1. Re-sign Ohtani.  Its likely he moves on but still possible and the direction of the team should depend on this.  If Ohtani signs elswhere, its time for full rebuild.

2. Get rid of the sabremetrics that dictate game time decisions.  I think they are great in signing new prospects, scouting, and strategy.  However game time tactics should be decided by the manager and the players.  Let the pitchers call their own pitches.  Let the manager make game time decisions he feel is best.

3.  Develop/sign players that have speed and can make contact.  I always felt the three outcome strategy of HR, walk, or strikeout was dumb.  It may have had success when their were shifts but no more.  Find guys who get on base and put the ball in play.

4. Improve situational hitting

5.  I do not like the idea of signing a FOR starting pitcher.  They cost too much money and never work in long term.  Develop you own pitching 

6. Finally develop a lock down bull pen.

7. No more signing superstars from other teams.  I dont mind mega contracts for Trout and Ohtani.  But no more Rendons and Pujols.  Mega contracts for our home grown talent is fine because we have benefitted from their best years.  

Edited by stormngt

I like the core of Detmers, Canning, Sandoval and Silseth going forward. I’m not sure if any of them will develop into an Ace. I think Detmers has the stuff but not sure it will happen. Silseth has that bulldog in him. Sandoval needs consistency and Canning needs to show he can be healthy all year. maybe Anderson sucks less next year?

6 minutes ago, FromJapan said:

On September 1st (JST), a total of 10 scouts from six teams, including the Angels, Royals, Rangers, D-Backs, Reds, and Cubs, inspected Naoyuki Uwasawa (Age 29, Hokkaido Nippon Ham Fighters). He earned a shutout in this game. 

(LinK) His stats in NPB

He's going to be 30 before next season starts. Has a .500 career record in Japan.  Only 7.2 K/9 over the course of his career and only 6.5 this year.

On 9/2/2023 at 11:14 AM, jsnpritchett said:

He's going to be 30 before next season starts. Has a .500 career record in Japan.  Only 7.2 K/9 over the course of his career and only 6.5 this year.

Today, September 2 (JST), Yamamoto (Orix Buffaloes) is to start against the Hokkaido Nippon-Ham Fighters in the same stadium as yesterday's game. Scouts originally had Yamamoto as their top target of observation.  He has recorded 8 wins and 0 losses for the last two years in September. He led the Pacific League of NPB in ERA, W, WPCT, and SO in 2021 and 2022. He's in contention for the top spot also this year.

7 IP, 108 NP, 4 H, 9 K, 3 BB, 0 ER

Next week, Yankees general manager Brian Cashman is scheduled to visit Japan and inspect Yamamoto directly.  It's hard to imagine the Angels signing Yamamoto at this point.

Reference: Mets' Kodai Senga happy to recruit fellow Japanese star Yoshinobu Yamamoto (NewYork Post on Aug. 17)

Edited by FromJapan
Added texts, link and updated X

11 hours ago, gurn67 said:

The good thing is, other than Ohtani, it's one of the worst free agent classes I can remember. When, Ohtani leaves, Arte will not be able to blow his money on any more overpriced over the hill veteran players. Of course, that didn't stop him from trading for Wells, so who knows? Without Ohtani, this is a 70-75 win team at best. Following the example of teams like the Orioles, Astros, Braves, etc...the best thing to do would be to tank for a few years and undergo a full rebuild. I think most real fans would be on board for that at this point. Of course, that's not going to happen without new ownership.

This is a 70-75 Win team WITH Ohtani.

53 minutes ago, wopphil said:

I would do as close to a full rebuild as you can. I probably wouldn’t bring in any free agents, unless it is guys who might have value at the deadline. Give Neto, Schanuel, and O’Hoppe a full year of consistent playing time. And see if you are better positioned to compete in 2025. 

Sensible, but as several have already stated, this scenario is highly unlikely given the current owner.